Fresh Grabs

All but one of my August RSD purchases (still waiting on Gene Russell), and a few others came in this past week. I've got a lot of listening to do!

View attachment 66115
That Griffin/Davis is fantastic. I believe this was the first of the Reel To Real releases which I bought and after hearing this I picked up the other 2! They also have another coming out on Black Friday this year (George Coleman Quintet - In Baltimore), so worth keeping an eye out for that!

Ebi Soda - Ugh
The World Is A Cafeteria
Tim Maia - Racional 1 & 2

First two Ebi Soda releases have been fantastic so I have high hopes for this - also looking forward to the VV Experience spinoff soon. Amazed how much their first release goes for having just checked - I was about to call them underappreciated but clearly not. The World Is A Cafeteria is not the greatest compilation name (it's a great song but not sadly on this album) but hoping the music is as good as the other volumes of deep soul from the Cairo label. Just missing the 4th volume now. And two bootlegs of Brazilian funkiness - hoping the quality is OK, bizarre deep scribbling in the deadwax makes me a little afraid.

20200914_150426.jpg

Ebi Soda - Ugh
The World Is A Cafeteria

First two Ebi Soda releases have been fantastic so I have high hopes for this - also looking forward to the VV Experience spinoff soon. Amazed how much their first release goes for having just checked - I was about to call them underappreciated but clearly not. The World Is A Cafeteria is not the greatest compilation name (it's a great song but not sadly on this album) but hoping the music is as good as the other volumes of deep soul from the Cairo label. Just missing the 4th volume now. And two bootlegs of Brazilian funkiness - hoping the quality is OK, bizarre deep scribbling in the deadwax makes me a little afraid.

View attachment 66140

I have been eyeing these two Tim Maia. Please let us know how it sounds as there will be no official reissue (most probably) for these and I might end buying both.

I have been eyeing these two Tim Maia. Please let us know how it sounds as there will be no official reissue (most probably) for these and I might end buying both.
Just listening to the first one and it sounds pretty decent. I've not got anything to compare with but I just cranked the volume up to the max and there was no distortion. It's probably 140g (the RRVOL3 version of Racional 3 on Juno is 180g and v good). I can't complain for a bootleg - plus, it's never going to get an official release (at least for a long while) so seems a decent way to get this fabulous music. Certainly, so far this bootleg is not as bad as some of the ones commented on on Discogs.

Ebi Soda - Ugh
The World Is A Cafeteria

View attachment 66140
I have the Vol 2, picked up a while ago, this is the copy I have - Tim Maia Racional Vol 2

I was really surprised considering that its a bootleg. Worth it knowing the original is wayyyy out of reach.

Just listening to the first one and it sounds pretty decent. I've not got anything to compare with but I just cranked the volume up to the max and there was no distortion. It's probably 140g (the RRVOL3 version of Racional 3 on Juno is 180g and v good). I can't complain for a bootleg - plus, it's never going to get an official release (at least for a long while) so seems a decent way to get this fabulous music. Certainly, so far this bootleg is not as bad as some of the ones commented on on Discogs.
Not always easy with bootlegs that copy everything to know how pressed them but these seem actually to be similar to my Vol 3 and are pressed in Japan. I'm onto Vol 2 and would definitely recommend them. The only annoyance is that the scribbling in the deadwax is so deep they really pop when each side finishes but that's OK for me. I got mine from Juno, fwiw, and they seem to have all 3 volumes available.

20200914_160516.jpg

That Griffin/Davis is fantastic. I believe this was the first of the Reel To Real releases which I bought and after hearing this I picked up the other 2! They also have another coming out on Black Friday this year (George Coleman Quintet - In Baltimore), so worth keeping an eye out for that!
It's probably based on a previous post of yours about the Griffin/Davis that I went ahead and scooped it up! 🍻 I also have their Cannonball Adderly - Swingin' in Seattle. I'll definitely keep an eye out for the Black Friday drop.

I’m thinking of slowing down my never ending trail of new music and upping my quotient of these audiophile releases.

Yeah if it’s the right album it’s definitely worth it. Despite its quite ridiculous price I regret my Blood on the Tracks one step much less than a lot of normal albums that cost me €25 to €30.

Newest additions:
Otoboke Beaver - Itekoma Hits (signed cover)
3DB5B954-018C-4FC7-A150-95D0EFF2AE12.jpeg
F78A8A8D-99AA-49BE-BFCD-5EE1CE8F1349.jpeg

peter gabriel (2 lp 45rpm)
A0938EE0-B339-4DD2-9829-CA074A0259C1.jpeg

PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love
9D655025-9014-4810-9F61-B8A9F3275A69.jpeg

The Who - Odds & Sods (RSD version)
DC48E978-FD71-43D8-B17C-F703A1078999.jpeg

Dean & Britta - ep 4 from the Quarantine Tapes, covers of I’m So Bored With the USA (The Clash), backed with Drive (The Cars)
97F903AC-D249-4369-92DD-B4EEA70E6614.jpeg

Back