Fresh Grabs

Big up @Joe Mac for turning me onto one of my favourite discoveries this year. Take a bow Joe!

The Gloaming ‎– The Gloaming (Real World Records, 2015 pressing)
The Gloaming ‎– The Gloaming 2 (Real World Records, 2016 pressing)
The Gloaming ‎– Live at the NCH (Real World Records, 2018 pressing)
The Gloaming ‎– The Gloaming 3 (Real World Records, 2019 pressing)
IMG_0617.JPG

Miles Davis ‎– Miles In Tokyo Live In Concert (Get On Down, 2019 Black Friday pressing Limited to 2,200 copies)

Excited to listen to this one, but its going to have to be after Christmas as I have given it to my brother to give back to me as a present :ROFLMAO:

IMG_0618.JPG

Been a busy week so I haven't had chance to post these as they've trickled in.

First up, a couple of new releases. Juno came through with a restock on KVL saving me a bunch on international shipping. Thanks to @Poly-Rythmo for the heads-up on that one. And the Levitation Orchestra, I listened to samples a few weeks back and wasn't sure how the choral voices sat with me. When @Selaws posted about it a couple of days ago I took a second listen and voices aside, the music is fire. SotU had a stack in store yesterday for anyone struggling to source it.

View attachment 23369

Next, a trilogy of Doug Hammond reissues care of Manufactured Recordings. Some long overdue free jazz reissues, thanks to Honest Jon's for having them in stock seemingly weeks before anybody else.

View attachment 23365

A gorgeous boxset from German Jazz/Ambient band, Dictaphone. 3LPs + 1EP in a heavy boxset, discs packaged outside of sleeves, download card included. All shipped direct from label Denovali in Germany for €73 as part of their 25% off sale. VMP should take note on this price!
I owe a massive thank you to somebody for this. Back in the old place, someone popped into the jazz thread and mentioned these and I liked what I sampled. They have since gone on to be in frequent rotation on my Spotify. Very calming commute music and equally wonderful night-time listening. I cannot for the life of me remember who originally got me onto them though so if you're over in this place too, raise your hand, the first pint's on me if you're ever in London.

View attachment 23370

Onto the used stuff. First a trilogy of Blueys. The Byrd is a Japanese Toshiba, just missing the obi. The McCoy and Lee are both 1972 firsts, VAN GELDER stamped. Patience has been a virtue with Expressions. I love the album and a good quality release has avoided me for the longest time, this popped up for £25 shipped, I bit their hand off.

View attachment 23368

A trio of free jazz from Charlie Haden (an early Quad Impulse release), Kalaparusha Maurice McIntyre Quartet on Black Saint and Bobby Few on Black Lion.

View attachment 23367

And finally, stacks of sexy sax. Ornette joined by Don Cherry, Charlie Haden, Dewey Redman and the main man's boy, Ornette D. Coleman on drums, live on this first Impulse release. An early Delmark Braxton to replace a pretty ropey sounding reissue I have and this Pharoah on Theresa. @D Jilla is to thank for this one. You introduced me a while back to Pharoah's take on Coltrane's Olé from this album. You were right, it is amazing. When this popped up, it was a no-brainer, cheers, buddy.

View attachment 23366

“A gorgeous boxset from German Jazz/Ambient band, Dictaphone. 3LPs + 1EP in a heavy boxset, discs packaged outside of sleeves, download card included.”

50AA0144-4F2E-4D23-B2FD-3192E9C808FE.jpeg

Arrived today. Seller (www.quietcalmrecords) packed the box well and included artist “signed” cover art at no ext chg.

Thx again for posting. Looks to be a very nice set. 👍

Last edited:
Haven't posted in a while, so here's an update of what's arrived to my shelves during the past month.
There's some stuff from RSD that I ordered to some friends' houses in the US that have finally made their way across the pond!

View attachment 24658

Essa caixa dos Ornatos vale a pena? Tenho as primeiras reedições em vinil dos Ornatos mas penso comprar a caixa do Monstro.

View attachment 24700
Tucked in there w Hip Hop Family Tree is the special Biggie cover issue w the Flexi disc of course. The series is great. Done w care and respect plus it combines one of my fave things (comic books) w one of my fave music genres
That’s dope.
I have the whole collection of the single issues. The only variant I grabbed was Yeezy. That a Biggie cover is amazing. Did you pick up any of the Marvel Hip-Hop cover mashups? I gotta a few of those too. ...And A Run The Jewels Howard the Duck variant.
A14A7398-A3E6-4479-A485-93FD96E7C692.jpeg

That’s dope.
I have the whole collection of the single issues. The only variant I grabbed was Yeezy. That a Biggie cover is amazing. Did you pick up any of the Marvel Hip-Hop cover mashups? I gotta a few of those too. ...And A Run The Jewels Howard the Duck variant.
View attachment 24703
I only picked up the Liquid Swords. I’m not into that Marvel story arc but love GZA. I like the Punisher LL Cool J cover the most but I wouldn’t spin that album enough to buy it. I’m actually hot and cold w Marvel but Pun stuff that came out on Marvel Knights imprint gave that character the freedom to sleaze that it needs.

What Howard the Duck variant? I’m only fam/have w the Kill Your Masters/Stay Gold 12” that orig came out for RSD and then wide release

Edit: oh....for the variants you’re talking about variant comic covers rather than variant record covers? I googled and saw. Cool stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like I’ve been really bad, but many of these were cheap deals. Tbh I’m still not sure if I’ll keep all of them but it’s been a fun few weeks of digging.

48F2015C-F631-4307-9A3A-B75F135E921B.jpeg

Case in point: all the above cost $8 total. That Turrentine has seen better days but it plays without skipping and is an early if not first pressing. For $3!

55644047-D10D-4138-B74C-7AD236A2359A.jpeg

Hinds was an Amazon deal in the low teens, and Testament was under $10. Kick cost me a bit more than that but I wanted to support a new shop that opened in my town last week, so I bit.

A36A4B64-5C31-4826-B166-7AE83B9CB3DA.jpeg

And both of these were 20% off because of Thanksgiving deals. The Trane is a nice 60s pressing; Byrd I haven’t Discog’d yet.

It looks like I’ve been really bad, but many of these were cheap deals. Tbh I’m still not sure if I’ll keep all of them but it’s been a fun few weeks of digging.

View attachment 24705

Case in point: all the above cost $8 total. That Turrentine has seen better days but it plays without skipping and is an early if not first pressing. For $3!

View attachment 24706

Hinds was an Amazon deal in the low teens, and Testament was under $10. Kick cost me a bit more than that but I wanted to support a new shop that opened in my town last week, so I bit.

View attachment 24707

And both of these were 20% off because of Thanksgiving deals. The Trane is a nice 60s pressing; Byrd I haven’t Discog’d yet.
The angle almost makes the bottom two look rectangular. Also, Black Byrd is one of my favorites!

A74713AC-BD0D-49C3-8D0C-1011E82CB812.jpeg

6726B6C6-20EC-4188-859D-C7883617F20C.jpeg

Outer box Barely survived. Looks like it had been shipped somewhere else b4 me. The shipping box has multiple covered mailing labels. Maybe a distribution center. Covered sticker says box 973 of 2000. So I would like to think it was palletized at that point.

Dings on all corners of the shipping box and one hole punched through it’s top but the 12lb inner display box set only has the smallest corner ding. Virtually unnoticeable without looking for it. Shipping damage is a major problem. Why are these sets not shipped with extra space, double boxing, and/or foam inserts, etc. Grrrr.

On the plus side. This repressing seems to be an exact replica of the original (other than I assume colored vinyl). Looks like they even used the same original hype sticker as it makes no reference to the colored vinyl in this 2nd press.

Quick stop at Balades Sonores to pick-up two orders and buy another two records. I had in hands two copies of Gray's BFRSD reissue but 63€...

Angel Bat Dawid - The Oracle
Vulfpeck - The Beautiful Game
Sault ‎– 7
Willie Colon Canta Hector Lavoe ‎– Asalto Navideño

1575408145803.png

Three recent favourites to brighten up my day after endless travel delays.

Muriel Grossmann - Reverence
I'm so excited to hear this one. Golden Rule was my favourite record of last year and I'm holding off completing my list for this year before I hear this.

Hootie and the Blowfish - Imperfect Circle
Hootie are my guilty pleasure. Falling for them in the UK was a lot easier than in the US, I imagine, as they were far from everywhere. I really like this new album.

Shina Williams & His African Percussionists
Second of his re-releases I've picked up from Mr Bongo and yet more Nigerian funk/Afrobeat is promised.

20191203_223021.jpg

When this dropped cash was low and I had to rule myself out of getting one. A good friend of mine who I met through the love of vinyl & hiphop on IG knew I would be kicking myself for not getting it down the line.....so he dropped over 60dollars on this for me and refused to take money. We have both looked after each other several times before but I bought him 2pac Thug Life in return as it was something he wanted & needed. This morning before work we met up in city centre & we are both happy today. Sometimes strangers on the internet are the best people 🙌🏼🔥
15754535320147686152888839976975.jpg

Back