Fresh Grabs

I was super lucky during the wonderful PIFsgiving week that @Jake! organized and won the drawing for the Golden PIF. @AnthonyI generously contributed a gift card (thanks again!) as part of the prize pool, so this box just arrived from Amoeba today with a few old favorites I didn't have on vinyl yet and a Sea and Cake CD filling a gap in my collection.

20191206_175558.jpg

Last edited:
Wildflower - Season 2 (Ill Considered Music, 2019 White Label Early Release, no. 121/300)

This album isnt actually being released until February next year but they released 300 white label/test pressings earlier in the week and I managed to get one. I spun their first record last night and its really great stuff, so hoping this is up there as well. Wildflower is made up from the guys in Ill Considered, but with Tom Skinner (from Sons of Kemet) on drums.

IMG_0784.jpg

Wildflower - Season 2 (Ill Considered Music, 2019 White Label Early Release, no. 121/300)

This album isnt actually being released until February next year but they released 300 white label/test pressings earlier in the week and I managed to get one. I spun their first record last night and its really great stuff, so hoping this is up there as well. Wildflower is made up from the guys in Ill Considered, but with Tom Skinner (from Sons of Kemet) on drums.

View attachment 25376

Nice, no sign of mine yet, bloody holiday postal delays.

View attachment 25376

Nice. Glad to hear it sounds good and they are shipping. Looking forward to spinning it.

I'd always felt strangely envious of those of you who had records delivered in a pizza box. Now I can join the club - my delivery today from Colombia came in an inside-out pizza box. The oddness didn't stop there. There was also a piece of polystyrene in there with a record taped to each side! Thankfully neither were the ones I'd ordered (pics of them to come later...)

View attachment 25217

View attachment 25218
Update - I don't like killing records but the two attached to the polystyrene have both thick sellotape and masking tape on them so for the first time ever I'm going to have to throw away some vinyl 😭

20191207_161245.jpg

Tell me more about this Mr Bongo sale.

All the record nerds were out. It was cramped when I got there. Elbow to elbow digging and lots of nice people. Everybody was friendly. There were multiple turntable to check the condition of the OGs and some people brought their Numarks. People sitting on the floor with stacks a foot high checking out the records.

They had all the Bongo reissues for $20 and tons of OG copies, heavy on the Brazilian. I think the most expensive record I saw was $350. I wanna say it was that Tropicalia Comp. Panis et circences.

Mr. Bongo staff was friendly and answered questions. Gave me some recommendations.

Local Pick Ups
75742749-443B-4DB8-A368-D019991AD550.jpeg
Funkadelic - One Nation Under A Groove
John Prine - Bruised Orange

Both were picked up via my local record store during a 20% off all used records sale. Both are Original Presses. The Funkadelic sounds great but the jacket is kinda beat up and the album itself has a slight warp but with the sale it was around $8 which seems reasonable. This is my First John Prine album, I have always loved his wry sense of wit but had never purchased any of his albums, I would still hope to add his self-titled album and Sweet Revenge to my collection at some point. This album is in great shape and the jacket is nearly spotless. Adding Both of these to my collection for less than $20 made me pretty happy.

True story. At the record store with the 3-year-old, I suggested we check out the Beatles section. At first glance there’s nothing too interesting so I say let’s go, but he insists he wants one of those random 70s compilations or some bootleg or whatever. I see the 2xLP blue compilation for only $4 (it had seen better days) and even though we already own all those songs I propose we buy that. The boy is not pleased. We both walk toward the counter to cash out but he runs back to the Beatles section by himself. I turn to the cashier and say, “well he’s not winning this argument.” But then the kid (who, again, is only three) walks back holding a sealed copy of Anthology 1 and tells me that’s the one we’re buying. That was literally the only album on that shelf that he could’ve pulled that I would’ve said yes to. I can’t believe he won the damn argument.

9E6A75CD-33C5-4D14-BBB9-A463DC79F361.jpeg

All the record nerds were out. It was cramped when I got there. Elbow to elbow digging and lots of nice people. Everybody was friendly. There were multiple turntable to check the condition of the OGs and some people brought their Numarks. People sitting on the floor with stacks a foot high checking out the records.

They had all the Bongo reissues for $20 and tons of OG copies, heavy on the Brazilian. I think the most expensive record I saw was $350. I wanna say it was that Tropicalia Comp. Panis et circences.

Mr. Bongo staff was friendly and answered questions. Gave me some recommendations.
I saw they had multiple copies of Tim Maia - Racional on the wall (saw it on Instagram). If those were OG then there's big money there. Racional Vols 1 & 2 have always been the Brazilian record I find most interesting. Maia, who recorded some of the most sold Brazilian Soul/funk albums of all time, joined the Rational Culture cult (religion) in the mid 70's and instantly stopped recording the music that made him famous. Instead he made his band all paint their instruments white, wear white clothes, and stand in fields nightly playing music to attract the alien beings (not even joking). He recorded 2 albums, Racional vols 1 & 2 which essentially saw him sing passages from their religious text over heavy funk beats (they are honestly fantastic, the music is amazing). After he discovered that the leader and founder of the cult was bent (he was stockpiling the charitable donations and spending the money on houses etc) Maia was so ashamed that he ordered all the copies of the records to be destroyed. Only a limited number survived and these are the ones floating around today.

Delivery day! Talitres update, Mr Bongo sales, BFRSD leftovers and an Amazon grab!

These four records were released by French label Talitres. I highly recommend giving more attention to their catalog, they have some real gems there like Flotation Toy Warning's Bluffer's Guide To The Flight Deck, Micah P. Hinson And The Gospel Of Progress' self titled album and every single Emily Jane White's album. They sent an email last Friday announcing a 20% discount on all their catalog so I ADD to finally order those two brilliant Raoul Vignal's record, Stranded Horse second album and Emily Jane White last album released last month :

Raoul Vignal ‎– The Silver Veil (listen here if you like Nick Drake)
Raoul Vignal ‎– Oak Leaf (listen here if you really like Nick Drake)
Stranded Horse ‎– Luxe (listen here if you want some folk with African instrument Kora)
Emily Jane White ‎– Immanent Fire (listen here if you like Cat Power)

1575894496186.png

I didn't went to my local store to check for BFRSD releases. Instead, I waited for Gibert Joseph to add their leftovers to their webshop. I got lucky and found these three records. No need to introduce The Comet is Coming. Thank you to whoever shared Edan's record, I played the album on Youtube and decided to grab the record. Finally I grabbed this Bill Evans' Resonance reissue on 2xLP at a very honest price.

The Comet Is Coming ‎– Afterlife
Edan ‎– Beauty And The Beat
Bill Evans ‎– Live At Art D'Lugoff's Top Of The Gate

1575894745555.png

Mr Bongo sales are always a complicated time for me. I am shared between a I WANT IT ALL feeling and a I WANT IT ALL BUT IT'S NOT REASONABLE feeling. Most of the time I end buying everything I want and it happened again this time. I finally bought these Ebo Taylor's Mr Bongo reissues (first picture) and his lost album Palaver released this year by BBE (tapes got lost for almost 40 years before BBE made an agreement with African label Tabansi to reissue some of their gems). I added Foster Sylvers' solo because I already have The Sylvers 1&2 and because "why not?". Last, but not least, is Toshio Matsuura Group ‎– Loveplaydance (6 Scenes From The Floor) released on Brownswood Recordings featuring Tom Skinner, Yussef Dayes, Mansur Brown, Nubya Garcia, Yazz Ahmed, etc... I don't even know how this record was not in my collection already (maybe it is...).

Ebo Taylor And The Pelikans ‎– Ebo Taylor And The Pelikans
Ebo Taylor, Uhuru Yenzu ‎– Conflict
Ebo Taylor ‎– Ebo Taylor
Ebo Taylor ‎– Yen Ara
Foster Sylvers ‎– Foster Sylvers
Ebo Taylor ‎– Palaver
Toshio Matsuura Group ‎– Loveplaydance (6 Scenes From The Floor)

1575894818750.png
1575894842311.png

Delivery day! Talitres update, Mr Bongo sales, BFRSD leftovers and an Amazon grab!

These four records were released by French label Talitres. I highly recommend giving more attention to their catalog, they have some real gems there like Flotation Toy Warning's Bluffer's Guide To The Flight Deck, Micah P. Hinson And The Gospel Of Progress' self titled album and every single Emily Jane White's album. They sent an email last Friday announcing a 20% discount on all their catalog so I ADD to finally order those two brilliant Raoul Vignal's record, Stranded Horse second album and Emily Jane White last album released last month :

Raoul Vignal ‎– The Silver Veil (listen here if you like Nick Drake)
Raoul Vignal ‎– Oak Leaf (listen here if you really like Nick Drake)
Stranded Horse ‎– Luxe (listen here if you want some folk with African instrument Kora)
Emily Jane White ‎– Immanent Fire (listen here if you like Cat Power)

View attachment 25625

I didn't went to my local store to check for BFRSD releases. Instead, I waited for Gibert Joseph to add their leftovers to their webshop. I got lucky and found these three records. No need to introduce The Comet is Coming. Thank you to whoever shared Edan's record, I played the album on Youtube and decided to grab the record. Finally I grabbed this Bill Evans' Resonance reissue on 2xLP at a very honest price.

The Comet Is Coming ‎– Afterlife
Edan ‎– Beauty And The Beat
Bill Evans ‎– Live At Art D'Lugoff's Top Of The Gate

View attachment 25626

Mr Bongo sales are always a complicated time for me. I am shared between a I WANT IT ALL feeling and a I WANT IT ALL BUT IT'S NOT REASONABLE feeling. Most of the time I end buying everything I want and it happened again this time. I finally bought these Ebo Taylor's Mr Bongo reissues (first picture) and his lost album Palaver released this year by BBE (tapes got lost for almost 40 years before BBE made an agreement with African label Tabansi to reissue some of their gems). I added Foster Sylvers' solo because I already have The Sylvers 1&2 and because "why not?". Last, but not least, is Toshio Matsuura Group ‎– Loveplaydance (6 Scenes From The Floor) released on Brownswood Recordings featuring Tom Skinner, Yussef Dayes, Mansur Brown, Nubya Garcia, Yazz Ahmed, etc... I don't even know how this record was not in my collection already (maybe it is...).

Ebo Taylor And The Pelikans ‎– Ebo Taylor And The Pelikans
Ebo Taylor, Uhuru Yenzu ‎– Conflict
Ebo Taylor ‎– Ebo Taylor
Ebo Taylor ‎– Yen Ara
Foster Sylvers ‎– Foster Sylvers
Ebo Taylor ‎– Palaver
Toshio Matsuura Group ‎– Loveplaydance (6 Scenes From The Floor)

View attachment 25627
View attachment 25628

I almost bought that Conflict record. As soon as I streamed it with my morning coffee I regretted that decision.

Back