Fresh Grabs

Man alive, I love coming home to two big boxes of records. They make a nice stack.

F23F3EB6-BE59-43E1-8A66-0DE224907390.jpeg

First up, a bunch of reissues. @Lee Newman is solely to blame for all of these as his two word counter to my lacklustre feelings towards organ jazz, Charles Kynard, sent me to eBay where I found the seller all_your_music had 15% off. You know the story, go in for one, come out with seven. Actually, @Colonel_Angus bears some responsibility too for mentioning that Hiromi album about a year ago and it’s plagued my Spotify regularly since. And @Skalap too I suppose for the @Mark de Clive-Lowe introduction. Really you’re all to blame except me for this lot.

6FC4167A-FE43-44E0-B5CE-1A865A9DE0F3.jpeg

DFCBAFC3-86E9-4276-ACEA-55C6CB18A470.jpeg

And then this lot. Yeah, these are all my doing. Some Japanese presses and some early and first Mingus, Coltrane and Brubeck, all in swell condish.

3920723F-C9D9-487F-883D-F989C718836D.jpeg

B4D115FB-8295-42D5-8536-B5FFE9CB51D1.jpeg

3F678849-D46C-4FFC-91CB-6FACB2B17146.jpeg

403EF21C-38C9-4BD0-B59A-920204F5A210.jpeg

1ABFD17E-5CB5-49D2-993A-8D792419D172.jpeg

Man alive, I love coming home to two big boxes of records. They make a nice stack.

View attachment 12184

First up, a bunch of reissues. @Lee Newman is solely to blame for all of these as his two word counter to my lacklustre feelings towards organ jazz, Charles Kynard, sent me to eBay where I found the seller all_your_music had 15% off. You know the story, go in for one, come out with seven. Actually, @Colonel_Angus bears some responsibility too for mentioning that Hiromi album about a year ago and it’s plagued my Spotify regularly since. And @Skalap too I suppose for the @Mark de Clive-Lowe introduction. Really you’re all to blame except me for this lot.

View attachment 12185

View attachment 12186

And then this lot. Yeah, these are all my doing. Some Japanese presses and some early and first Mingus, Coltrane and Brubeck, all in swell condish.

View attachment 12187

View attachment 12188

View attachment 12189

View attachment 12190

View attachment 12191
HIROMI! HIROMI! HIROMI!

I really hope she releases her other albums. Although this is a stunning piece of work, it's far from my favorite.

Fantastic grabs. Which pressing is the other Blue Train in your pic? I have a super special pressing coming my way in the next week or so........I have never been so excited!
It’s the 1973 blue label, black B press.
Intend on doing a comparison at some point.

View attachment 12184

View attachment 12185

View attachment 12186

View attachment 12187

View attachment 12188

View attachment 12189

View attachment 12190

View attachment 12191
Sweet Lord...........

View attachment 12184

View attachment 12185

View attachment 12186

View attachment 12187

View attachment 12188

View attachment 12189

View attachment 12190

View attachment 12191
I can’t wait to hear what you think of Kynard!

View attachment 12184

View attachment 12185

View attachment 12186

View attachment 12187

View attachment 12188

View attachment 12189

View attachment 12190

View attachment 12191

I am so proud of you ahahah! I must listen to this Hiromi.

VMP box h

Method Man ‎– Tical (VMP Rap & Hip Hop No. 23, 2019)
Willie Bobo ‎– Uno Dos Tres 1•2•3 (VMP Classics No. 26)

My VMP package finally arrived (3 and a half weeks into the month :rolleyes:) and it was soaked, the cardboard was barely keeping it together. Someone it doesnt seem to have affected the records (there wasn't any bubble wrap either!) Need to open them up and check for the standard VMP warps next.

IMG_4877.JPG

Thelonious Monk Trio - S/T (Prestige, 1982 Reissue)
Down Beat Magazine (18th Feb 1960)

I gambled on the Thelonious Monk on eBay. There was one blurred photo and only a couple of bids. I ended up getting it for just over a tenner, and while it isn't an original (or a particularly early copy for that matter) I have listened through and it seems top notch!
The Down Beat is a fun pick up. Amongst the articles is the 'Miles Davis Cleared Of All Charges' story, in relation to him being assaulted (although the claim was put in reverse) by a white police officer for attempting to enter the club he was performing at through the main entrance and with a white woman. He talks about this in his autobiography (which I fully recommend).

IMG_4878.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4876.JPG
    IMG_4876.JPG
    223.7 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
VMP box has arrived, as has the Tone Poets, and a little extra!

'Baby Face' Willette ‎– Face To Face (Blue Note Tone Poet Series, 2019)
Dexter Gordon ‎– Clubhouse (Blue Note Tone Poet Series, 2019)
Joe Henderson ‎– The State Of The Tenor - Live At The Village Vanguard - Volume Two (Blue Note Tone Poet Series, 2019)

The Tone Poets have bee my favourite releases this year, they sound fantastic and the quality of the overall packages are superb! I have been waiting for a good Baby Face Willette reissue and I'm thinking this could be the one!

View attachment 12200

Method Man ‎– Tical (VMP Rap & Hip Hop No. 23, 2019)
Willie Bobo ‎– Uno Dos Tres 1•2•3 (VMP Classics No. 26)

My VMP package finally arrived (3 and a half weeks into the month :rolleyes:) and it was soaked, the cardboard was barely keeping it together. Someone it doesnt seem to have affected the records (there wasn't any bubble wrap either!) Need to open them up and check for the standard VMP warps next.

View attachment 12203

Thelonious Monk Trio - S/T (Prestige, 1982 Reissue)
Down Beat Magazine (18th Feb 1960)

I gambled on the Thelonious Monk on eBay. There was one blurred photo and only a couple of bids. I ended up getting it for just over a tenner, and while it isn't an original (or a particularly early copy for that matter) I have listened through and it seems top notch!
The Down Beat is a fun pick up. Amongst the articles is the 'Miles Davis Cleared Of All Charges' story, in relation to him being assaulted (although the claim was put in reverse) by a white police officer for attempting to enter the club he was performing at through the main entrance and with a white woman. He talks about this in his autobiography (which I fully recommend).

View attachment 12205
Willie Bobo Warp
Method Man Warp

2 for 2 VMP..........

I wouldn't say it's my favorite hip-hop record, but Kendrick's flow is solid and his lyricism is fantastic. Definitely love the wide array of influences incorporated into the album. All in all, it's quite good

Awesome! Now have you listened to THE album they call To Pimp A Butterfly by Kendrick? Cuz if you haven't you're in for a treat and I'm jealous you get to listen to it for the first time.

Back