Fresh Grabs

So this reissued Cure singles comp comes in a paper thin, semi translucent "jacket", with a printed inner sleeve. There basically isnt a jacket, it's so thin. It's wrapped in oversized cellophane to prevent the thin jacket from creasing, I guess. Really weird. Not sure if this is how the original was produced. Not super impressed. I imagine these are gonna get absolutely destroyed in the bins at record shops.

Anyways, LP is clear, pressed at Optimal. Three songs in and it sounds really good!

View attachment 205232
And hmv U.K. are releasing that as part of the vinyl week they have - for £49.99!!!

Sometimes I think we should have a separate thread called "Stale Grabs" that focuses entirely on thrift store and yard sale oddities we rescued from that gigantic pile of white gospel and classical music records.

image_67204609.JPG

Grabbed this from a thrift store today along with a random Dave Brubeck Dutch import. This is a band called "The Chimps" although it doesn't actually say that anywhere on this record. It was a side hustle of another group called "Thomas A. Edison Electric Band" and they quickly spit out two Chimps albums as a way to capitalize on Monkees-mania in 1967. I'll let the overly-excited author of their discogs page take it from here:

This band from PA had an not too bad LP and a cool 45 on Cameo but at the same time they were incognito operating for a Cash-In Explotiation budget label called Wyncote! They released two Monkees cash-in records and both contain, besides Monkees covers, also some very interesting originals! However on their second Wyncote 1967LP they suddenly appear with this TOTALLY INSANE brutal Acid-LSD-psych instro!

So yeah the album begins with two Monkees songs which are followed by a goofy yet forgettable original tune called "The Chimp's Theme" before you're suddenly greeted with this:

Then it goes right back to harmless pop for the duration of the album, although that psych-ish organ starts creeping back into the album's closing track.

In conclusion there are worse things I could've spent three bucks on.

Sometimes I think we should have a separate thread called "Stale Grabs" that focuses entirely on thrift store and yard sale oddities we rescued from that gigantic pile of white gospel and classical music records.

View attachment 205351

Grabbed this from a thrift store today along with a random Dave Brubeck Dutch import. This is a band called "The Chimps" although it doesn't actually say that anywhere on this record. It was a side hustle of another group called "Thomas A. Edison Electric Band" and they quickly spit out two Chimps albums as a way to capitalize on Monkees-mania in 1967. I'll let the overly-excited author of their discogs page take it from here:

So yeah the album begins with two Monkees songs which are followed by a goofy yet forgettable original tune called "The Chimp's Theme" before you're suddenly greeted with this:

Then it goes right back to harmless pop for the duration of the album, although that psych-ish organ starts creeping back into the album's closing track.

In conclusion there are worse things I could've spent three bucks on.

Here you go--think this captures the spirit: The Crate Digging & Bargain Bin Finds Thread

Wow, this and When I Was Born are a couple of my white whales. Insane that none of their stuff has been reissued.
Same! I've been mentally preparing myself to drop close to $100 each on copies for literal years. Walked in to Record Safari and saw this just shining on the wall with a *very* reasonable sticker. Discs need a run through an ultrasonic cleaner, but otherwise play flawlessly and the jacket is essentially pristine. Even has the original printed insert! I got damn lucky today.

I bet the lack of reissues has to do with sampling rights. The mix is too much of a brilliant boondoggle it would be super cost prohibitive to pay out all the royalties, esp for a release with relatively limited demand.

Keep hunting, your day will come!

Same! I've been mentally preparing myself to drop close to $100 each on copies for literal years. Walked in to Record Safari and saw this just shining on the wall with a *very* reasonable sticker. Discs need a run through an ultrasonic cleaner, but otherwise play flawlessly and the jacket is essentially pristine. Even has the original printed insert! I got damn lucky today.

I bet the lack of reissues has to do with sampling rights. The mix is too much of a brilliant boondoggle it would be super cost prohibitive to pay out all the royalties, esp for a release with relatively limited demand.

Keep hunting, your day will come!
Cornershop are pretty underrated in my book. Their albums are always interesting at least.

Its been a hell of a few days.

Don Rendell Quintet - Space Walk (Columbia, 1972 First Sample Pressing)

I was fortunate enough to complete my Don Rendell discography a while ago but the one record that I didn't have in its original form was the excellent "Space Walk". I was able to finally change that with this super clean original sample records pressing. Really happy!!

IMG_2027 2.JPG

Kenny Dorham - This Is The Moment: Sings And Plays (Riverside, 2024 New Land Record Store Day Pressing)
Sun Ra - Inside The Light World: Sun Ra Meets The OVC (Strut Records, 2024 Record Store Day Pressing)

I managed to get a great deal on these 2 RSD releases from the Resident Records. When the Kenny Dorham was announced I just knew that I wouldn't be paying the crazy price they listed it for, despite wanting to hear a New Land release. This was a much more manageable cost so keen to hear it. The Sun Ra is an album I cannot wait to lose myself in, the booklet seems great as well!

IMG_2028 2.JPG

All the records in these next photos are all from 2 carboot sales that I went to this weekend. I really cleaned up!

Lou Donaldson - Sweet Lou (Blue Note, 1974 First Pressing)
The Incredible String Band - The 5000 Spirits Or The Layers Of The Onion (Elektra, 1967 First Pressing)
Miles Davis - The 'Most' Of Miles (Fontana, 1960 First Pressing)
Mance Lipscomb - Trouble In Mind: American Folk Song Traditionalist (Reprise Records, 1961 First Pressing)
Westlake College Quintet - College Goes To Jazz (Decca/Brunswick, 1957 First UK Pressing)
Roy Ayers - The Best Of Roy Ayers (Polydor, 1979 First Pressing)

First up is a killer bunch of jazz, with the addition of the psyc album "The 5000 Spirits Or The Layers Of The Onion" (amazing coverart to go with the equally amazing title) and the blues album "Trouble In Mind". All of the records from the carboot sale cost around £1-£2 each, so some real bargains here.

IMG_2031 2.JPG

The Martin Drew Band - British Jazz Artists Vol. 3 (Lee Lambert, 1978 First Pressing)
Odetta – My Eyes Have Seen (Vanguard/Fontana, 1959 First UK Pressing)
Jazz At The Philharmonic: At The Montreux Jazz Festival 1975 (Pablo Records, 1975 First Pressing)
Ray Charles - Modern Sounds In Country And Western Music Volume Two (His Master's Voice, 1963 First UK Pressing)
Norman Granz - Jam Session No. 2 (Columbia, 1956 First Pressing)

More jazz & blues. I have Vol 1 of the Ray Charles so it was great luck to find this Vol 2. The Martin Drew Band is an album that I am unfamiliar with but the line-up is pretty impressive!

IMG_2032 2.JPG

The Beach Boys - Summer Days: And Summer Nights!! (Capitol, 1965 First Pressing)
Otis Redding - Otis Blue / Otis Redding Sings Soul (Atlantic, 1966 First Pressing)
The Rolling Stones - Black And Blue (Rolling Stones Records, 1976 First Pressing)
Blood, Sweat And Tears - Blood, Sweat And Tears (CBS, 1968 First Pressing)
Pink Floyd - Relics (Starline, 1971 First Pressing)
Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection (DJM, 1970 First Pressing)
The Rolling Stones - Get Stoned (Arcade Records, 1977 First Pressing)
Harry Nilsson - Nilsson Schmilsson (RCA Victor, 1972 First Pressing)

Heres the non-jazz pile. I saw the Harry Nilsson (for the millionth time at a carboot) and decided to go for it seeing that I have the VMP Classics' "A Little Touch Of Schmilsson In The Night" on its way to me. I cant see myself pinning up the huge blurred poster of him though. I didn't realise but this is the 4th copy of Relics that I have added to my discogs, so going to have to cull that at some point.

IMG_2029 2.JPG
IMG_2030 2.JPG

Finally, a pretty cool order from Tokyo Jazz Joints. I enjoy supporting them when I can so when they released these T-Shirts in a limited run I put the order in. The front also has a coop print which is much more subtle, a small TJJ/Stoneface Killa logo.

IMG_2033 2.JPG

1718071819832.jpeg
bargain hunting for deep 80s/90s cuts led me to the website of, um, "big dawg records" on washington's bainbridge island (making them one of the northwesternmost record stores in the CONUS!). with no sales tax to IL and a first-order-free-shipping coupon, i probably could have claimed a couple more items, but the four records above (plus a cheap, lovely saint etienne 4-tracker) felt like a good deal. siouxsie is an original WLP!

View attachment 205527
bargain hunting for deep 80s/90s cuts led me to the website of, um, "big dawg records" on washington's bainbridge island (making them one of the northwesternmost record stores in the CONUS!). with no sales tax to IL and a first-order-free-shipping coupon, i probably could have claimed a couple more items, but the four records above (plus a cheap, lovely saint etienne 4-tracker) felt like a good deal. siouxsie is an original WLP!
The auteurs !! That’s a banging single

Back