Fresh Grabs

Tubby Hayes Quintet - After Lights Out (Tempo, 1957 First Pressing)

This is my biggest score of the year so far for sure! The last album I needed in my Tubby Hayes discography and the rarest of the lot, so rare in fact that I have never seen a copy in person until this one. A fellow British jazz fan sent me a photo a few years ago of a beat up copy being sold in a London shop for £4000, which is insane. It's a cracking session with a fairly obscure group and a really great example of an early Tubby performance. The pressing run for this would have been minimal and almost certainly deleted shortly after. The original Tempo tapes were all destroyed in the 70's as well.

IMG_1671.JPG

Amancio D'Silva - Reflections: The Romantic Guitar Of Amancio D'Silva (Columbia, 2024 Limited RSD Pressing)
Blue Note - Re:imagined (Blue Note, 2024 Limited RSD Pressing)

A few weeks ago some bigwigs over at Universal Music reached out to ask for some assistance in a couple of upcoming reissue projects. I won't spill the beans but it was a super fun project for a nerd like me, and I can't wait to see the results. When I met up with them they were kind enough to give me a couple of records from the latest Record Store Day, as well as a cool Thin Lizzy tote. Interestingly, they reached out again the other day asking for help on something else as well, really exciting stuff!

IMG_1668.JPG

Don Blackman - S/T (Arista, 2024 Vinyl Me Please Classics Pressing)
Alice Coltrane - Eternity (Warner Brothers, 2024 Vinyl Me Please Essentials Pressing)
Kamasi Washington - Fearless Movement (Young, 2024 Vinyl Me Please Exclusive Pressing)

After weeks of my VMP package being sent to the wrong address, rejected, sitting in a depot, it FINALLY turned up. This is only because the address it was rejected by pointed out that the postcode had been changed (incorrectly and for no apparent reason). No idea if my other packages are going to get to me. Nightmare. Anyway, really happy with this set, and I cannot wait to hear the Don Blackman in particular, such a killer album!

IMG_1669.JPG

The Don Rendell / Ian Carr Quintet - BBC Jazz Club Session April 1965 (Rhythm & Blues Records, 2024 First Pressing)
Tony Coe - Coe-Existence (Lee Lambert, 1978 First Pressing)
Carmen Jones - Highlights (His Master's Voice, 1956 First 7" Pressing)
The Joe Harriott Quartet - S/T (Columbia, 1956 First 7" Pressing)
Ernest Ranglin - Memories Of Barber Mack (Island Jamaica Jazz, 1997 First Pressing)

A Brit-jazz heavy set here. The Don Rendell / Ian Carr seems to be from a questionable source, although I have got at least 1 more from the label and it sounded good. The Ernest Ranglin is a killer album, definitely recommend it.

IMG_1670.JPG

May Acquisitions

Angelo Badalamenti - Music from Twin Peaks
De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
Julia Holter - Something in the Room She Moves (signed)
Kate NV - Room for the Moon
Darren Korb - Transistor: Original Soundtrack
Kraftwerk - Trans Europe Express

20240531_115852.jpg

Came across the Twin Peaks OST reissue on translucent green vinyl for $25, and was surprised I didn't have it yet. It was filmed in Oregon, after all. Also since I really like Julee Cruise...
I had the VMP De La Soul RotM from back in '19 when I was member, but sold it two years ago for $100. Ended up buying it again on magenta 2xLP for just under $20 as part of a large order from Target with the help of coupons.
Love the new Julia, obvi! The lone item from my first order from Paladin at last. Sounds stellar on wax, just like her other records. She was fantastic in concert last month...highly anticipated after not having seen her perform in over five calendar years. 🤗
Loved Kate NV's record last year and one of my top50, prompting me to backtrack through her catalogue. I think Room for the Moon is superior and her best from what I've tried. Just over $13.50 as part of the Target order.
Visited another local Final Form for the first time in over a year; specializing in video game/movie/TV show OSTs on vinyl, but also specializing in old school videogame consoles and physical cartridges/disks. Great to see that the wonderful indie game soundtrack to Transistor got repressed; was going for ~$150 on resale just earlier this year. Recommended to those that like downtempo/D&B.
The Kling Klang Kraftwerk reissue of Trans Europe Express was great to see at Target as well. Just over $16 in the large order.

James Brandon Lewis - Eye of I
Madonna - Like a Prayer
Kali Malone - Does Spring Hide Its Joy
Kali Malone - All Life Long
Talking Heads - Talking Heads: 77
Akira Yamaoka - Silent Hill 3: Original Video Game Soundtrack

20240531_121100.jpg

Got my personal AotY last year in the Target order for $13.50.
Madonna for about the same price.
Kali Malone has become a favorite modern avantgarde musician of mine. While not a favorite of mine from last year, Does Spring Hide Its Joy is still an alluring two hour drone session across a 3xLP set that is a calming force to be reckoned with...it does feature her husband Stephen O'Malley (of Sunn O))) ) on guitar, after all. It was an available item online at Target; good to finally get one for a reasonable $32.50 after discount. Her record from this year All Life Long is one of my top5 of the year at this time, found the last copy at Mississippi Records. Really am wanting The Sacrificial Code one day, which I believe to be her best work.
Recent KG cut of the debut Talking Heads record at the closest store to me, which is new(ish) to the scene. Not the greatest prices, but hoping the owner does well.
Came across the repressing of the 2xLP OST to Silent Hill 3 about three weeks later from the prior visit after nabbing Transistor. One more significant item checked off of the wantlist.

Came across the Twin Peaks OST reissue on translucent green vinyl for $25, and was surprised I didn't have it yet. It was filmed in Oregon, after all.
Excellent pulls this month but I did want to point out that most of the external shots for Twin Peaks were filmed in and around Snoqualmie, WA with inside shots mostly filmed in Southern California studios. Maybe some filming took place in Oregon but it wasn’t much. Oregon gets Portlandia, Goonies, and Kindergarten Cop but Twin Peaks is (mostly) a Washington State show.

Fun Fact: The Emmy winning series Northern Exposure, which was set in Alaska, was also filmed in nearby Roslyn, WA around the same time.

Ran by an estate sale where I was a minute too late as the guy in front of me pointed at two big stacks of vinyl and said I'll take all of those sight unseen. So that sucked, but in the two stacks he didn't see hiding on another table I got some decent pull. The biggest being this in NM/NM shape for $12.
IMG20240601122230.jpg

Then these for $12 each.
IMG20240601122534.jpg

These for $8 each.
IMG20240601122642.jpg

These for $10 each:
IMG20240601122918.jpg

And a handful of random things like Dweezil Zappa albums for $5 a piece. All said $160 for 18 albums almost all in NM shape.

Ran by an estate sale where I was a minute too late as the guy in front of me pointed at two big stacks of vinyl and said I'll take all of those sight unseen. So that sucked, but in the two stacks he didn't see hiding on another table I got some decent pull. The biggest being this in NM/NM shape for $12.
View attachment 204651

Then these for $12 each.
View attachment 204652

These for $8 each.
View attachment 204653

These for $10 each:
View attachment 204654

And a handful of random things like Dweezil Zappa albums for $5 a piece. All said $160 for 18 albums almost all in NM shape.
oooof wish i had those around here

all my estate sales are old tools and streissand

IMG_1166.jpegIMG_1167.jpegMy wedding anniversary dinner was next to a record shop, so it would have been rude not to pop in! Picked up the recent Portishead NYC repress, and two Donnas and one Rocket From the Crypt album on CD. I also got the Mogwai through the post, using a gift from @Yer Ol' Uncle D - cheers!

Finally, a gift from my wife for our anniversary. Everyone needs a David Shrigley frisbee that looks like a record!

View attachment 205019View attachment 205020My wedding anniversary dinner was next to a record shop, so it would have been rude not to pop in! Picked up the recent Portishead NYC repress, and two Donnas and one Rocket From the Crypt album on CD. I also got the Mogwai through the post, using a gift from @Yer Ol' Uncle D - cheers!

Finally, a gift from my wife for our anniversary. Everyone needs a David Shrigley frisbee that looks like a record!

Congrats! That's quite the catch you have there!

Congrats on the anniversary too.

Last edited:
So this reissued Cure singles comp comes in a paper thin, semi translucent "jacket", with a printed inner sleeve. There basically isnt a jacket, it's so thin. It's wrapped in oversized cellophane to prevent the thin jacket from creasing, I guess. Really weird. Not sure if this is how the original was produced. Not super impressed. I imagine these are gonna get absolutely destroyed in the bins at record shops.

Anyways, LP is clear, pressed at Optimal. Three songs in and it sounds really good!

0607241328_HDR~2.jpg

So this reissued Cure singles comp comes in a paper thin, semi translucent "jacket", with a printed inner sleeve. There basically isnt a jacket, it's so thin. It's wrapped in oversized cellophane to prevent the thin jacket from creasing, I guess. Really weird. Not sure if this is how the original was produced. Not super impressed. I imagine these are gonna get absolutely destroyed in the bins at record shops.

Anyways, LP is clear, pressed at Optimal. Three songs in and it sounds really good!

View attachment 205232
Crazy. Any OGs I have ever seen are in standard sleeves

View attachment 205232
I wonder if they got so used to putting all those pictures discs in nonsense sleeves that they forgot how to do it right for a regular pressing.

Fresh in from Germany this morning!

1000005662.jpg

The Great Divide is my least favourite Willie of the 2000s but it was $15 (CAD) brand new with no additional shipping cost while my local has it priced at $38.99, so seemed worth grabbing as I work toward a full Willie discography (available on vinyl, anyway – 23 official releases to go!)

Fresh in from Germany this morning!

View attachment 205278

The Great Divide is my least favourite Willie of the 2000s but it was $15 (CAD) brand new with no additional shipping cost while my local has it priced at $38.99, so seemed worth grabbing as I work toward a full Willie discography (available on vinyl, anyway – 23 official releases to go!)
I grabbed that for $10 on an Amazon deal not too long ago. The Kid Rock duet is the worst thing. A few other meh songs, but overall it sounds pretty good and has a couple redeeming tracks.

Back