The Crate Digging & Bargain Bin Finds Thread

I often refer to my buddy Aaron as the Bargain Bin Bandit. He has found some of the biggest steals amongst our friend group, by a magnitude greater than the rest of us combined!

He gave me this one an hour or so ago...

20220210_185219.jpg

The sleeve is battered and taped, and it's missing the 12"x24" poster I don't actually care about, but the vinyl itself is a solid VG+ and played great when he checked it out on his system!

[edited for typos]

Last edited:
This is a great idea for a thread!

I love the hunt so these cheap finds are what keep me going. I've had a few really good buys at local shops and carboot sales over the years (especially back when vinyl wasnt in fashion) but my best find to date in terms of rarity happened last year which cost just £1. Its an album that I have shared on the forum before:

Jonathan Klein - Hear, O Israel: A Concert Service In Jazz (National Federation Of Temple Youth, 1968 First Pressing)

It's an incredibly rare private press record that was likely made to sell at concerts with an estimated total of just a couple hundred. The premise is equally strange. It was conceived and composed by Jonathan Klein, a 17-year-old jazz-obsessed son of a Massachusetts-based rabbi who wanted to explore the idea of combining the spiritual approach of Hebrew chanting/signing with modal jazz. Even crazier is that he was able to convince heavyweights of jazz to provide the music, with Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, Thad Jones, Grady Tate and Jerome Richardson making the line-up.

I posted it on Instagram and I had 2 messages from people in the US to say they bought copies in recent years. One guy spent $450 for a copy in average shape and another spent $350 for a beat-up one. So I really did luck out here! There's even a website dedicated to the album here:

IMG_7834.jpeg

Wow. What's the name of this shop and where is it in PA?

I went to college with the owner, Lee; we were both DJs at the AM radio station. Became good friends and stayed in touch over the decades. He turned me on to so many great bands, I can't even remember how many. The Cramps, Hasil Adkins, lots of punk and rockabilly and left-of-center stuff.

He puts stuff in the back room that might be too worn for his front room bins, perhaps a VG sleeve or LP. Or radio station copies with marker & stickers.

These were purchased over 5 years ago, probably when he first opened.

If you're a Face-booker, here's his page:

I have had really good luck over the years with yard sales, flea markets (car & boot), pawn shops, antique stores, and thrift shops, etc.. Obviously with covid that became next to impossible for me. Hopefully as things open up again and get/stay safe that option opens up for me and many of you again.

Getting a new, great repress is an amazinfg experience, but finding treasure for next to nothing, cleaning them up, and putting them on and enjoying them is just as, if not more rewarding for me.

Last edited:
Got to Goodwill about 1 minute too late today. I scoured the section and noticed they had more "tolerable" rock albums that usual, but nothing worth pulling the trigger on. Then as I was leaving I saw in someone's cart what appear to be a stack of older Rolling Stones records and presumably some other good stuff. You win some, you lose some.

Got to Goodwill about 1 minute too late today. I scoured the section and noticed they had more "tolerable" rock albums that usual, but nothing worth pulling the trigger on. Then as I was leaving I saw in someone's cart what appear to be a stack of older Rolling Stones records and presumably some other good stuff. You win some, you lose some.
Man, I hate that feeling haha!

My best 99c goodwill haul was back in 2015. I found a clean copy of David Bowies 'Heroes' when that was a really hard to find album at the time. Along with that were great copies of T. Rex 'The Slider', Talking Heads 'Speaking in Tongues' and I think some Stones and Dylan. Never see anything like that at goodwill now, and it seems a lot of them put popular albums in their more expensive glass cases now.

I walked into the Salvation Army store one day and found a incredible Jazz guitar lp collection and many Pablo jazz albums. Giddy stuff. Most were marked with the name of the previous owner and when I researched who this was I found it was a local guitar teacher who had unfortunately passed away. I felt obligated to send the family a note thanking them for their gift and made a donation to there selected charity when I heard back from them.

I think dealers/collectors have "in's" at most of the thrift stores now for albums and hifi gear unfortunately.

I get a laugh when I see someone with their discogs app open on there phone at yard sale or thrift store. Really man ? :unsure:

Back