Fresh Grabs

View attachment 110217
There’s an ice cream shop that also sells some records (like 6 crates worth). I almost flipped past this one, then I spied the tiny sticker, “with panties.” Condition is almost new, what a find for 16 bucks.

it's hard enough finding one with the panties...harder still to find the panties not disintegrated. Those look pristine.

And yes...I get how creepy that sounds.

Halsey - If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power

IMO this might be their best album yet!

Never heard her before, but I ordered the Target version....and only because of who produced the album.

I think the Target version is the edited non-nipple cover.

Dropped into the local antique place where they overprice all the records by a lot. Except for one little area where the area owner prices his own. Finally got a chance to do a deeper dive. Grabbed a couple early Bonnie Raitt and a Mynabirds (no idea how that got in there...), But these three were the three biggies. Had to leave a pretty nice Kinks comp, Cream, and a couple others.

Sabbath is an early reissue, I think the other two are original pressings.

PXL_20210828_203154139.jpgPXL_20210828_203212058.MP.jpgPXL_20210828_203135259.jpg

$13 thrift store purchase. Lots of energy expended in the process of narrowing to those I was interested in, and then there's always that moment of truth when you start looking at the vinyl itself. In this case, that worked out well because a lot of this vinyl looks like it might never have been played. The Ellington and Brubeck are exceptions in that they are a bit marked up, but still look at least VG and the jackets are in really nice shape. I just can't resist this shit. :D (The CD's were 4/$1.00, so what could I do?....)

View attachment 110192

View attachment 110193

I feel silly calling this out on a sick haul but I love that Earle CD. I have it on vinyl and play it a lot more than I ever thought I would. I think you'll really dig it

finally got the TDWP reissues delivered to my place in soFlo. these were originally sent to gainesville, then returned to Europe, to then finally being resent to soflo after a couple of email exchanges. records came warped, but the vinyl flat I have should fix them up properly.

The Devil Wears Prada - Zombie EP and Dead Throne

F531D3D6-53C5-464C-9DA2-52FEDE5AB06D.jpeg

p.s. also, peep my Pyra figurine on the top right that I finally got, who is currently my pfp.

I feel silly calling this out on a sick haul but I love that Earle CD. I have it on vinyl and play it a lot more than I ever thought I would. I think you'll really dig it
Thanks! Yeah, I feel like I've seen that cover image a number of times associated with positive reviews, so figured I'd give it a go. Already ripped it to itunes and have some travel time coming up so looking forward to giving it a listen.

Been a while since I've posted here, but finally managedto get some my mail!

toe "The Book About My Idle Plot On A Vague Anxiety" (possibly toe's greatest and definitely my favorite from them) these new reissues sound great.
Animal Collective "Feels" PIF from @dirty hands , excited to dive into this one.
And my final two VMP shipments(well I'm still waiting on Durand Jones). Now to check for defects...
IMG_20210828_160827__01.jpg

Respawned Records Majora's Mask tribute, managed to get 1 of each variant to see which one I like best.
M. Ward "End of Amnesia" recent RSD release, thanks to @JonnyH for tipping me off on this one 👌

Attachments

• IMG_20210828_160858__01.jpg
    IMG_20210828_160858__01.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 4
Just bought records from a record store for the first time in... two years??? So happy to be back there. I sold some cheap records that I got from a friend like a year ago, and used store credit to help pay for these:

E73F910E-FEEE-47FB-A4CA-F19B88D30059.jpeg

Blind Melon - Blind Melon
Dodos - No Color
Taylor Swift - Evermore
Death - The Sound of Perseverance
Owen Pallett - Heartland
YeYe - Hue Circle

Not pictured is another Dodos album, Carrier. Tons of different genres, I'm excited to spin them all soon!

Bill Withers - +'Justments (Sussex, 2021 Vinyl Me Please Classics Pressing)
Don Rendell Quintet - Space Walk (Columbia Lansdowne Records, 2021 Decca Pressing)
Dr. Lonnie Smith - All In My Mind (Blue Note, 2020 Tone Poet Pressing)

Finally had the Bill Withers arrive on Friday and it sounds fantastic! The Decca Reissue series is releasing some fantastic albums and this Space Walk is one that I doubt I will ever be able to get a first pressing of. Finally, a cheap Tone Poet purchase that I was really happy with.

IMG_6571.JPG

The Jazz Couriers Featuring Tubby Hayes And Ronnie Scott - The Last Word (Tempo Records, 1959 First Factory/Test Pressing)

Now for the big guns. After some back and forth with the seller I was able to get this 2LP single-sided test pressing for less than the actual album goes for. I was mentioning on here just the other day that Tempo got rid of their tapes in the 1980's to make storage room, so first pressings are really the only way to hear them the way they were intended. This came in a plain card sleeve with the album review taped to it. I might see if I can get a cheapo reissue for the cover at some point, but for now it doesn't bother me.

IMG_6572.jpg

The Mike Westbrook Concert Band - Mike Westbrook's Love Songs (Deram, 1970 First First Factory/Test Pressing)

They do say that good things come in threes! I have been back and forth trying to get a copy of Mike Westbrook's Love Songs for ages and have very nearly bought copies in the past. It's a fantastic album and this has the added bonus of being another test pressing. Superb music throughout!

IMG_6581.JPG

Q: The Autobiography of Quincy Jones (Hodder & Stoughton, 2001)
R. Crumb Heroes of Blues, Jazz & Country by R. Crumb, Steven Colt & David A. Jasen (Abrams, 2006)
Duke: A Portrait of Duke Ellington by Derek Jewell (W. W. Norton & Co, 1977)
Beyond Category: The Life And Genius Of Duke Ellington by John Edward Hasse (Da Capo Press, 1995)
Reminiscing in Tempo: A Portrait of Duke Ellington Hardcover by Stuart Nicholson (Northeastern University Press, 1999)

We were walking around our local park the other day which has a stately home in the middle. We were about to leave when we saw a door thats usually closed open into a tiny courtyard that had stacks of books for sale. I found a music section and picked up an Ellington book that had £4.50 written in the cover. The person covering it must have seen me looking as he came over to say to ignore the prices in the books and that they will just offload them cheap. I ended up getting all of these plus another that my fiancee chose for a tenner!

IMG_6583.JPG

Sister Rosetta Tharpe - 1958 UK Tour Programme
Sarah Vaughan - 1958 UK Tour Programme

A couple of interesting tour programmes that have fantastic photos in them. Sister Rosetta Tharme was joined by Mich Mulligan and George Melly, whilst Sarah Vaughan was joined by Ted Heath & His Music, Tony Kinsey's Quartet, and Ronnie Scott & Tubby Hayes & The Jazz Couriers.

IMG_6582.JPG

Free Jazz Communism edited by Sezgin Boynik & Taneli Viitahuht (Rab Rab Press, 2019)

This is a really interesting collection of essays, interviews, texts, and observations that centres around the Archie Shepp–Bill Dixon Quartet at the 8th World Festival of Youth and Students in Helsinki 1962. Its been out of print for a while and I stumbled across a copy at the 'London Centre for Book Arts'.

IMG_6587.jpg

Complete Jazz Journal 1955

Finally, a bound set of all of the Jazz Journals from 1955. This was an affordable buy that I lucked out on.

IMG_6584.JPG

Lee Morgan – The Complete Live At The Lighthouse: Hermosa Beach, California (Blue Note, 2021 Limited Box Set)

This is the most excited I have been for a set to arrive in quite a while. Lee Morgan has long been my favourite musician and the Live At The Lighthouse is one of the handful to feature him as lead that I don't already have. I quite literally met the postman at the door in anticipation earlier.

Pretty gutted then to open it up and see that it's damaged. The corner of each LP is crushed and the booklet is bent at different angles which makes me think it was damaged when it was put in the box (likely pushed in and out a few times until it went in properly). Amazon UK have sold out and their auto-replacement system suggested I swap it for a £30 Tone Poet :ROFLMAO: Looks like im going to have to battle with CS tomorrow and try and get it replaced.

IMG_6600.JPG
IMG_6603.JPG
IMG_6601.JPGIMG_6602.JPG

Last edited:
Those speakers are some sexy mofos.

Not as cool as that, but there's something to be said about taking a chance on an unclearly written Ebay listing. Won a reasonably priced bid for what I thought was the standard version of Rome (Danger Mouse / Daniele Luppi) and in arrived the Deluxe with the instrumentals, posted, tip-on jacket, really beautiful TMR package at way below what it'd cost if it were listed cleanly.

PXL_20210831_200030018.jpgPXL_20210831_200007406.jpg

August Acquisitions

PIF Claims:

Musk Ox - Inheritance
Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come
20210901_014440.jpg

Thank you to @avecigrec and @Ponman2003 for the generous offers. Both of these records will have a spot in my library for years to come.

Ambient pickups:

Harold Budd/Brian Eno - Ambient 2: The Plateaux of Mirror
Brian Eno - Ambient 4: On Land
Yutaka Hirose - Nova +4
Stars of the Lid - And Their Refinement of the Decline
20210901_015558.jpg

Went to Mississippi Records last week and found that someone had dumped off their old collection of Brian Eno OG pressings, which included all of the Ambient series, in addition to a few of his other early ambient titles and art rock endeavors. I got the second and fourth entries for $18 and $20 each, and both records were in phenomenal shape through the years! Ambient 2: Plateaux of Mirror was one of my ambient white whales, and I am elated to complete the set at last.
More ambient greatness from Japan with this Nova reissue. Nature sounds that come off so sterile, delicate, and fragile to the senses. So in love with this; another well-done reissue from WRWTFWW records.
Obtained the last studio LP from the Texas classical ambient masterminds. Breathtaking and serene.

Current Year pickups:

Half Waif - Mythopoetics
Les Filles de Illighadad - At Pioneer Works
Lingua Ignota - SINNER GET READY
Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders, & The London Symphony Orchestra - Promises
20210901_015726.jpg

Ended up convinced on Half Waif's new LP, my favorite of hers by a considerable margin. Ordered on Bandcamp Friday, but skipped the limited to 30 edition of signed copies in hopes that I will get her records signed when I see Nandi in concert early November.
One of the recent Outer Sounds selections from Les Filles de Illighadad has been a favorite of the year, and arguably my favorite of the selections in the service so far! World music from Africa that is strikingly hypnotic through repetitive, unfiltered guitar passages and passionate vocals in a hybrid style of traditional Tende music and a raw interpretation of desert blues.
Both records from Lingua Ignota and the Floating Points/Sanders/LSH collaboration rank sky high on my 2021 chart.

Soundtracks!

Paradise Killer Original Soundtrack
Resident Evil Code: Veronica X Original Soundtrack
Rocket League X Monstercat: Greatest Hits
Silent Hill 2 Original Video Game Soundtrack

20210901_020038.jpg

Early in August, I found some time to check out Final Form, a shoebox record shop in Portland that specializes in video game soundtracks/vaporwave/Japanese imports/midwest emo on vinyl, and retro gaming cartridges, controllers, consoles, vinyl stickers of classic characters, posters, and DVD/VHS of classic cult films. So...perfect for the inner child in me. I've only been able to go this shop twice, as their hours are strange (only open for public shopping on Friday and Saturday for a three-hour stretch, private scheduled appointments otherwise).
However, I had some luck finding some wants at the shop, all well under the going rate on the aftermarket. In particular, I am elated to have found the Silent Hill 2 Original Game Soundtrack on my first visit, and on the limited 2xLP color variant for only $35 (This can go for $100+) while browsing in the first shelf! Incredibly reasonable prices on the others above ($45, $50, $45) again, considering their aftermarket value.
I can comfortably say that I can fit Final Form into my top5 Portland record stores list at the moment. Very friendly owner running the shop, too. Would love to go back with a friend in the coming weeks! I will be making space in the single cube of space I have to allocate for soundtracks, videogame or otherwise, to go alongside the Japanese music I have. :)

Miscellaneous pickups:

Blood Incantation - Hidden History of the Human Race
Dirty Three - Ocean Songs
Half Waif - Lavender
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
20210901_020506.jpg

The excellent death metal release from Blood Incantation was the first record I purchased from this past Bandcamp Friday. Went for a neon green variant, looks nice.
Took a chance on the Dirty Three record at Mississippi for $23 from seeing it in post-rock recommendations and in the useful post-rock flowchart that I have been perusing from time to time. I am so incredibly glad that I did. What a beautiful, moving piece of art.
Got the limited amethyst pressing of Lavender from this past Bandcamp Friday as well. Hoping to get this signed in November, like with Mythopoetics.
Added the trip-hop classic with the accumulated Target Circle credits (and change) I had prior to being a RedCard member. Great pressing, though might try for another copy as I can see that it is not quite centered from looking directly above the spindle hole.

マクロスMACROSS 82-99 - A Million Miles Away [two variants]
Prince - Sign "O" the Times
Radiohead - Kid A
20210901_020629.jpg

Kind of fell for FOMO with these future funk drops from NeonCity records thanks to the Pre-Order Thread, but I will be keeping one of these variants long-term for sure...I still have a soft spot for this kind of sound. Shouldn't be hard to offload the other in months time.
Perhaps Sign "O" the Times is my favorite Prince out of them all. Mississippi records was kind enough to get some of the peach indie variant imported in the last month for a great price (snagged the last one!).
Got the classic Radiohead title while shopping with a friend (his first time in a record store) a little over two weeks ago.

toe - The Book About my Idle Plot on a Vague Anxiety
Wire - Chairs Missing
20210901_020832.jpg

Modern math rock/post-rock classic from Japan.
Another post-punk classic added with this Wire album. I will admit, this one is taking a bit of getting used to; not at all like the other classic titles in the subgenre.

EDIT: Grammar fixes, and a few word changes.

Last edited:
Back