Fresh Grabs

When it rains it pours...

4 packages - 2 via TForce and 2 via Canada Post - all arrived within 20 minutes of each other:

20210825_144302.jpg

The OutKast has the much-discussed pressing issue and I've already uploaded video and requested a replacement.

This VMP edition of Lanquidity is actually for a friend of mine (his first Sun Ra!), although I find it hilarious he got his VMP version before I got my box set (originally ordered from popmarket, who kept pushing their release date back so I cancelled that and ordered from Juno for about $11 more and it was dispatched within less than 2 hours of ordering and should be here any day now)

The Web Web album officially drops Friday (I got the record before the full download!) which makes it the first album not made by a friend or acquaintance that I've had before street date since leaving HMV back in 2002/2003. Which is kinda fun.

Heading out for a few hours now, but looking very forward to spinning two-thirds of these later tonight!

Pedrinho - Nhos No Dexa De Estupides
Supergrass - In It For The Money
Bob Dylan - Blind Willie McTell

Two of my whales in one day is quite something. The Pedrinho is the last of his three albums I needed (just waiting for it in decent shape and price), and on a first listen it already might be my favourite, it's so good. Laidback funk from Cabo Verde. Loved the stamps from the Portuguese seller too.
In It For The Money in some ways might be my favourite album from the whole Britpop scene. Such an underrated band and this album is just pure fire from the off. Plus intrigued to hear these two new takes of Blind Willie McTell from Dylan.

20210827_113215.jpg

20210827_113155.jpg

I know views have been divided on Solar Power, so I did want to call out something nice. The deluxe version of the vinyl is the first one I've gotten in a while for a new album that really feels like it's worth the upcharge that deluxe often has involved. Some pictures below, but the way they packaged the bonus 7" with the two extra songs, the poster, the signed print, etc. all feel like the value adds I'd want from a deluxe edition of any artist I drop $50 or so on the vinyl for.

Sorry for the photo quality on the poster, the size is absurd so there's really nowhere I can even lay it down to get a nice flat photo...

PXL_20210827_132843914.jpgPXL_20210827_132905895.jpgPXL_20210827_132954233.MP.jpgPXL_20210827_133209438.MP.jpgPXL_20210827_133234735.jpg

I know views have been divided on Solar Power, so I did want to call out something nice. The deluxe version of the vinyl is the first one I've gotten in a while for a new album that really feels like it's worth the upcharge that deluxe often has involved. Some pictures below, but the way they packaged the bonus 7" with the two extra songs, the poster, the signed print, etc. all feel like the value adds I'd want from a deluxe edition of any artist I drop $50 or so on the vinyl for.

Sorry for the photo quality on the poster, the size is absurd so there's really nowhere I can even lay it down to get a nice flat photo...

View attachment 110107View attachment 110108View attachment 110109View attachment 110110View attachment 110111
That's some really inspired packaging. IMO it seems like the most inspired thing to come out of this album cycle but it's something!

Picked up the Garbage st & Version 2.0 remasters today at my local. While flipping through the used bin I came across Meow the Jewels and had to get it. The vinyl and inner sleeves are perfectly fine and I just think the cat attacked outer jacket kinda adds character given the album :ROFLMAO:
IMG_5138.jpegIMG_5142.jpegIMG_5140.jpegIMG_5144.jpeg

Last edited:
Last couple weeks of pickups and drop offs.

Brother Theotis Taylor - think it was @hatfieldpdx that led me to this, excited to check it out!
Cairo Records comp - Looking Back
Steve Gunn - Other You
Marisa Anderson and William Tyler - Lost Fortunes

I’ve really been digging the
vibe by Steve Gunn and William Tyler, finally picking a few of their albums up.

20BECA1D-32CB-48EA-B781-179E8E7CECA2.jpeg

Vince Guaraldi Trio - A Boy Named Charlie Brown (baseball mitt brown with the Peanuts baseball cards!)
Destroyer - Destroyer’s Rubies
Teenage Fanclub - Grand Prix
Bill Evans - Trio 64

I love this Destroyer record, probably second to Kaputt for me. Loving the side 3’s on these with just music, ambient/electric I guess and sounds great to these ears. Nice to have the N&G ROTM with Teenage Fanclub too, another that was on the list to pick up at some point.

34B99C66-F646-4A2C-AAF0-5D3D84664562.jpeg

Josh Rouse - Love in the Modern Age
Chuck Prophet - Let Freedom Ring
Grant Green - Idle Moments
Chuck Prophet - Bobby Fuller Died For Your Sins

Grabbed the Rouse and Prophet albums from the Yeproc sale. Just love Grant Green and happy to have this one

C4C17815-E0F4-48ED-9D46-7D5E3EFDF1BB.jpeg

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue
Josh Rouse - El Turista
Roy Hargrove & Mulgrew Miller - In Harmony

local had the Hargrove come in late, sounded like a fun one. And another classic series with Burrell.

2EA1D109-3F86-4CDC-88E5-37FFC214D87D.jpeg

Last couple weeks of pickups and drop offs.

Brother Theotis Taylor - think it was @hatfieldpdx that led me to this, excited to check it out!
Cairo Records comp - Looking Back
Steve Gunn - Other You
Marisa Anderson and William Tyler - Lost Fortunes

I’ve really been digging the
vibe by Steve Gunn and William Tyler, finally picking a few of their albums up.

View attachment 110171

Vince Guaraldi Trio - A Boy Named Charlie Brown (baseball mitt brown with the Peanuts baseball cards!)
Destroyer - Destroyer’s Rubies
Teenage Fanclub - Grand Prix
Bill Evans - Trio 64

I love this Destroyer record, probably second to Kaputt for me. Loving the side 3’s on these with just music, ambient/electric I guess and sounds great to these ears. Nice to have the N&G ROTM with Teenage Fanclub too, another that was on the list to pick up at some point.

View attachment 110172

Josh Rouse - Love in the Modern Age
Chuck Prophet - Let Freedom Ring
Grant Green - Idle Moments
Chuck Prophet - Bobby Fuller Died For Your Sins

Grabbed the Rouse and Prophet albums from the Yeproc sale. Just love Grant Green and happy to have this one

View attachment 110173

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue
Josh Rouse - El Turista
Roy Hargrove & Mulgrew Miller - In Harmony

local had the Hargrove come in late, sounded like a fun one. And another classic series with Burrell.

View attachment 110174
Nice, I've really been digging that Brother Theotis. Hope you enjoy.

Mississippi Records put out another gem recently: Tanganyika Na Uhuru by Kiko Kids Jazz. Described as "gorgeous and hypnotic Tanzanian dance music", which pretty much sums it up. Highly recommended. I picked up a copy at Mississippi Records for $14, but it can also be ordered via Bandcamp (link below).

"Formed in the mid-1950s, Kiko Kids Jazz created a stunningly unique sound amidst an explosion of Tanzanian guitar bands in the years leading up to the country’s independence. Defined by Salim Zahoro’s warm voice and the heavy tremolo of his electric mandolin, Kiko Kids Jazz incorporated their love of early acoustic Cuban Son, rhythms from their home town of Tabora, the exciting and competitive scene of acoustic/electric dance bands in Dar Es Salaam and Nairobi, the poetic strains of Taarab and Arabic music, and the tranquility of Tanzania."

IMG_1444.JPG

Nice, I've really been digging that Brother Theotis. Hope you enjoy.
Mississippi Records put out another gem recently: Tanganyika Na Uhuru by Kiko Kids Jazz. Described as "gorgeous and hypnotic Tanzanian dance music", which pretty much sums it up. Highly recommended. I picked up a copy at Mississippi Records for $14, but it can also be ordered via Bandcamp (link below).

"Formed in the mid-1950s, Kiko Kids Jazz created a stunningly unique sound amidst an explosion of Tanzanian guitar bands in the years leading up to the country’s independence. Defined by Salim Zahoro’s warm voice and the heavy tremolo of his electric mandolin, Kiko Kids Jazz incorporated their love of early acoustic Cuban Son, rhythms from their home town of Tabora, the exciting and competitive scene of acoustic/electric dance bands in Dar Es Salaam and Nairobi, the poetic strains of Taarab and Arabic music, and the tranquility of Tanzania."

View attachment 110182

I’m not sure if you’re helping 😂

$13 thrift store purchase. Lots of energy expended in the process of narrowing to those I was interested in, and then there's always that moment of truth when you start looking at the vinyl itself. In this case, that worked out well because a lot of this vinyl looks like it might never have been played. The Ellington and Brubeck are exceptions in that they are a bit marked up, but still look at least VG and the jackets are in really nice shape. I just can't resist this shit. :D (The CD's were 4/$1.00, so what could I do?....)

TS5.jpg

TS2.jpg

Another great mail day.

We missed the delivery attempt yesterday so I'm thankful my wife was able to get to the post office while I was at work today. Some great treats to come to! Most of these are thanks to @from_my_stacks while my eagerly anticipated Lanquidity box set began as a single album pre-order at VMP which I canceled along with another pre-order to order the box set from Popmarket, who kept pushing their release date back well after it had been released elsewhere so I canceled there and wound up getting it from Juno, who dispatched it within 2 hours of my ordering for just a few dollars more.

Reckon I've got a perfect evening at home ahead of me!

20210827_195859.jpg

Back