Fresh Grabs

I'm super surprised that I haven't seen more discussions or reviews etc about the Hasaan Ibn Ali. It's a stunning set and the ' Max Roach Trio Featuring The Legendary Hasaan' is generally considered to be a fantastic album, so I would have thought this recently discovered music would have been really well received/sought after.

The better half and I took a much needed mini-trip to NYC. She indulged me in a visit to Academy Records and Limited to One in exchange for some time in the Strand and walking all over the dang city trying to find Black and White cookies to her standards. Brought a few fresh grabs back.

Janelle Monae - Dirty Computer
Merle Haggard and The Strangers - I'm A Lonesome Fugitive
Aretha Franklin - Aretha in Paris
Brushfire Records 12" Sampler Volume 1

PXL_20210601_132856957.MP.jpg

I'm super surprised that I haven't seen more discussions or reviews etc about the Hasaan Ibn Ali. It's a stunning set and the ' Max Roach Trio Featuring The Legendary Hasaan' is generally considered to be a fantastic album, so I would have thought this recently discovered music would have been really well received/sought after.
I hadn't heard about it until about two weeks ago when you posted yours. Fortunately JPC had it in stock. Still need to get the Max Roach album but the Speakers Corner release is sold out everywhere awaiting repress.

I hadn't heard about it until about two weeks ago when you posted yours. Fortunately JPC had it in stock. Still need to get the Max Roach album but the Speakers Corner release is sold out everywhere awaiting repress.
I just checked to see what my copy of the Max Roach was and its the VMP pressing, I had totally forgotten that they even released it.

You should enjoy Metaphysics, some fantastic playing on there.

I just checked to see what my copy of the Max Roach was and its the VMP pressing, I had totally forgotten that they even released it.

You should enjoy Metaphysics, some fantastic playing on there.
It's your fault I wound up with it too. And I'm grateful. It's dynamite, truly.

Popped into a second hand record store yesterday.

The Hunky Dory sounds great, it's a UK 1980 pressing (Lacquer cut by someone called Bilbo)
Station to Station is a 1984 European (German) Pressing, looks in great shape, might have paid a little too much at £20 but looks very clean.
Rubber Soul, appears to be a late 1970's pressing. I can match it to just 1 entry on cogs, but the dead wax doesn't quite match what's listed, I think it might just need adding to the cogs entry.
The Duke Ellington is pretty beat up. I'll give it a clean, if it doesn't play nice, I might take it back and buy some more stuff. I couldn't see the vinyl clearly in the shop.

Screenshot 2021-06-01 at 16.23.52.png

Screenshot 2021-06-01 at 16.23.42.png

Long Weekend Fresh Grabs
85466E92-B236-4A2D-AF3A-EAD6FF9171E9.jpeg
Sonic Youth - SYR 2: Slaapkamers Met Slagroom
Dead Moon - In The Graveyard
Woods Family Creeps - Woods Family Creeps
Woods/Amps For Christ - Woods/Amps For Christ
Elliott Smith - Either/Or
15-60-75 (The Numbers Band) - Jimmy Bell’s Still In Town

The Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks 1964-1971

The top row were picked up at a couple different locals. The two Woods related albums were in the used bin at my main shop Hi-Voltage Records. The SY and Dead Moon were picked up from Janku Land, a newer shop that just opened up not too far from Hi-Voltage, they have very reasonable prices but their selection is a fraction of the size of Hi-Voltage. Still it’s more of a quality vs. quantity type situation and like I said they seem to about $5 to $10 cheaper on most their albums.

The bottom row were all PIF’s graciously sent to me from @tvham @Yer Ol' Uncle D and @zdkaiser respectively. Some great albums. Thanks guys!

18384598-E1FB-4AF4-A680-6B78FB393222.jpeg
DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince - Homebase
Craig Mack - Project: Funk The World

Also, recently acquired a couple awesome early 90s Hip-Hop cassettes. The vinyl for both these releases is way over priced but I was able to pick up both on tape for less than $10 combined.

Some fg’s recently! Bunch of preorders and rereleases came in. Scored those two JTE singles at my local, one more and that’ll complete that collection. Got Exile from @imajindat and BJS from @TenderLovingKiller® on the pif thread. And of course I grabbed Czarface/MF DOOM album. Live at Shoals Theatre is probably going to be my favorite box set.
1B44BE3E-1702-49C8-94D6-C07E6614CD9A.jpeg89D8917D-B2D5-4FDD-B02F-0BA8062A60F1.jpeg1F494B00-1C80-4A32-BB2D-E7FB3E631649.jpeg08EE123B-F06D-4F9C-A5E1-B0D9E9E67BD1.jpeg

Sons of Kemet - Black to the Future
James Brandon Lewis Trio - No Filter
PJ Harvey - Uh Huh Her
La Locura de Machuca

Some new arrivals from the last week or so. Sons of Kemet is definitely going to be my favourite of the first half of this year, but if the James Brandon Lewis Trio had been released in 2021 (rather than me just realising it was on vinyl now) it would have been. It is smoking. PJ Harvey is the last of her regular albums I'm really into (I'm getting the Peel one too) although I keep on trying the more recent stuff to see if it gels more. And a typically brilliant Analog Africa compilation.

20210603_105015.jpg

Krzysztof Komeda - Astigmatic / Live and Radio Recordings 1957-62 / Jazz Jamboree 1963
EABS - Repetitions (Letters to Krzysztof Komeda)

A Polish jazz master, and his apprentices. Astigmatic is widely seen as the greatest Polish jazz album and I've been trying to get it for ages and just failing so I snapped up straight away this new reissue (sadly in rather garish pink) to celebrate the 90th anniversary of his birth. Great liner notes and the music is sublime. The other two Komedas are on an Italian label I don't know much about but are decent and cheap packages. And EABS are the best of a recent amazing crop of Polish jazz groups and this is their reissued debut (their live version of this is even better).

20210603_104958.jpg

Orchestre Poly-Rythmo de Cotonou - Se We Non Nan
Fruko El Bueno - Tania

Almost forgot these 7s by two of my favourite artists courtesy of Superfly.

20210603_110022.jpg

Last edited:
Back