Fresh Grabs

Village of the Sun feat Binker & Moses
Orchestre Poly-Rythmo de Cotonou - Segla

Basement Jazz meets UK jazz in this cracking 12" single (cheers, I think, to @Mr Moore for alerting me to this). And on to my 4th copy of this excellent Poly-Rythmo from my 2nd retailer and I'm going to need a 5th. Some of the biggest warps I've ever seen from Acid Jazz records 😭

20201205_123629.jpg

Excellent mail day today, so pumped for this Elliott record as it's my fave of his.

Elliott Smith - Figure 8
Mary Lattimore - Silver Ladders
Kevin Morby - Singing Saw

View attachment 70215
Ooooh! Mind if I ask from where you scored that copy of Figure 8? I noticed it on uDiscover UK for $40 shipped. I've been looking at getting this for awhile, but it sounds like the US reissues are garbage. How does your copy sound?

Some super arrivals in the last week or so.

Sonny Rollins - Rollins In Holland (Resonance Records, 2020 RSD Limited Pressing)
Monty Alexander - Love You Madly, Live at Bubba's (Resonance Records, 2020 RSD Limited Pressing)
Tubby Hayes Quartet - The Syndicate: Live At The Hopbine 1968 Vol.1 (Gearbox Records, 2015 Limited Mono Pressing)
Bud Powell - The Essen Jazz Festival Concert (Black Lion, 2018 VMP Exclusive Pressing)
Into The Archives Vol. 1 (Jazz In Britain, 2020 Limited Pressing)
Zoot Sims - Zoot At Ronnie Scott's (Fontana, 1962 First Mono Pressing)

The first 2 (of 5) RSD records arrived today and they look fantastic! Annoyingly the others were bought from 2 different stores which both shipped using 48hr delivery.....on Monday. So looks to be postal delays with those. Massive thanks to @Rowan for the Bud Powell. After realising that it was me that was bidding on the record (on eBay) he offered it up to me for the price of postage alone, which was super super super generous, thanks again buddy! The Zoot Sims is one that I have had on my want list for a while but I refused to pay silly prices for it but I bought this from someone I had dealt with before and he offered me a more than reasonable price for it!
IMG_5740.JPG

Down Beat Jazz Record Review Volume 2 (1957)
Down Beat Jazz Record Review Volume 4 (1959)

I have been hunting these superb Down Beat books for a while now but they rarely pop up for sale, and when they do it tends to be for silly money. I had previously bought a second copy of volume 3 to use as a potential swap (on the off chance that anyone has some of the later books in the series I would be up for a trade!) and was contacted by the seller to see if I was interested in these 2. They are fantastic collections of reviews and the Volume 4 was one I was especially looking forward to as I believe 1959 to be one of, if not the, greatest year for jazz. 2 more down, 3 to go!!!
IMG_5737.JPG

Ooooh! Mind if I ask from where you scored that copy of Figure 8? I noticed it on uDiscover UK for $40 shipped. I've been looking at getting this for awhile, but it sounds like the US reissues are garbage. How does your copy sound?
It actually sounds great. I bought on Discogs, if I remember I saw all the UK version was reviewed much better so I grabbed that. It's my favorite album of his, so wanted to make sure I was buying a decent sounding one. It was this one -

It actually sounds great. I bought on Discogs, if I remember I saw all the UK version was reviewed much better so I grabbed that. It's my favorite album of his, so wanted to make sure I was buying a decent sounding one. It was this one -

Thank you! I'm looking at it right now on JPC which looks to be about $35 shipped. It's probably my favorite album of his too and the one that I haven't yet gotten on vinyl.

Picked this one up yesterday. Pretty great shape for a record that’s 45 years old. This particular press has a median of $40. It was marked at my store for $20. I used my employee appreciation which was 75% off to get it for $6.51. I also used some store credit to get this so I didn’t really come out of pocket at all. Triple win!!! I’d say VG++ all around. Just needs a little run through the spin clean and it’ll be good to go!!C9CF2E98-8CE0-41DA-AA9E-4EAC4FAC0EC3.jpegB6E2A52A-AFCB-45DE-A8D7-229D45978A00.jpeg

New arrivals this week:

View attachment 78904
Original copy of my favorite Del album, and the Curren$y preorder came in.

View attachment 78905
A couple of Chicago soul 45s. That Windy C label design is one of my favorites (biased of course).
Awesome label! A good 45 label just really hits you in the feels, especially when associated with a beloved genre.

🥺

toby fox - UNDERTALE Fifth Anniversary Original Soundtrack

Finally got this. Not had time to listen to the whole thing yet - 2.5 hour commitment - but the bits I've played sounds good. The art's really on-point too. Curiously first thing I have both mastered by Telegraph and pressed at Cascade. All the discs are flat and centered and reasonably quiet considering the marbled colors. This could've fit on 4 LPs but it probably wouldn't have changed the price much, and it's worked out so every side corresponds to a section of the game. Disc 3 winds up half-empty for it though. I, uh, almost turned the yellow disc into a frisbee not 20 minutes after taking it off the stoop. I swear I become more likely to drop a record the more I worry about dropping it. 😬

_MG_0069.JPG

_MG_0071.JPG
_MG_0072.JPG

Went to my LRS this morning, first time since August. I picked-up an order I placed a few weeks ago (2 records are still missing) and bought another six. They have a buy 2 get 1 free campaign so I had 6 records for free (the last six in the pictures).

Ali Shaheed Muhammad & Adrian Younge / Azymuth ‎– Jazz Is Dead 4
Maisha ‎– Open The Gates
Gil Scott-Heron & Makaya McCraven ‎– We're New Again (A Reimagining By Makaya McCraven)
The Comet Is Coming ‎– Imminent

1607263654872.png

Miyazawa Akira Masahiko Sato Togashi Masahiko Yasuo Arakawa ‎– Four Units
Zerosen ‎– Asphalt
The Seatbelts ‎– Cowboy Bebop (Original Series Soundtrack)
Gus Levy ‎– Magia Magia

1607263674688.png

Neal Casal ‎– Fade Away Diamond Time
Various ‎– Postales: The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
The Echocentrics ‎– Echoland (A Tribute To Timbaland)
François N'Gwa ‎– Ogooué

1607263685239.png

Seun Kuti + Egypt 80 ‎– A Long Way To The Beginning
Insólito UniVerso ‎– La candela del río
Saulo Duarte ‎– Avante Delirio
Sinkane ‎– Mean Love

1607263708187.png

Went to my LRS this morning, first time since August. I picked-up an order I placed a few weeks ago (2 records are still missing) and bought another six. They have a buy 2 get 1 free campaign so I had 6 records for free (the last six in the pictures).

Ali Shaheed Muhammad & Adrian Younge / Azymuth ‎– Jazz Is Dead 4
Maisha ‎– Open The Gates
Gil Scott-Heron & Makaya McCraven ‎– We're New Again (A Reimagining By Makaya McCraven)
The Comet Is Coming ‎– Imminent

View attachment 79053

Miyazawa Akira Masahiko Sato Togashi Masahiko Yasuo Arakawa ‎– Four Units
Zerosen ‎– Asphalt
The Seatbelts ‎– Cowboy Bebop (Original Series Soundtrack)
Gus Levy ‎– Magia Magia

View attachment 79054

Neal Casal ‎– Fade Away Diamond Time
Various ‎– Postales: The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
The Echocentrics ‎– Echoland (A Tribute To Timbaland)
François N'Gwa ‎– Ogooué

View attachment 79055

Seun Kuti + Egypt 80 ‎– A Long Way To The Beginning
Insólito UniVerso ‎– La candela del río
Saulo Duarte ‎– Avante Delirio
Sinkane ‎– Mean Love

View attachment 79056
I’ve got Asymuth on the way from Bandcamp Day — really looking forward to it.

Magia Magia is a fun record from what I’ve heard of it. Love its playful genre-bending. Let us know how the vinyl sounds!

Back