Fresh Grabs

I'm convinced Plaidroom Records is the best record store in the US. Their prices are always consistently lower than everyone else, they ship items in beefy whiplash mailers and everything is bubblewrapped and secure, and they have an incredible selection of titles (including audiophile releases).

They just sent me Phish's Junta 3xLP for $40. That's at least $10 cheaper than any other online retailer, including Phish's own Dry Goods, and probably $20 cheaper than my local shops (though, when I inquired about this album they were not even aware it had been reissued).

received_3520747028003238~2.jpegreceived_2789544731287684~2.jpeg

A much smaller set of acquisitions in the past month, thankfully. Didn't go to Portland to record shop last month (due to world events and for safety), so the majority of these were preorders from Target. Only one in-month purchase was made, just because of how cheap the Jay-Z album paired with $10 off code at uDiscover came out to be.

November Acquisitions

Ambient pickups:

Gareth Quinn Redmond - Laistigh Den Ghleo
Global Communication - 76:14

20201202_051550.jpg

I do like the selections put out by the WRWTFWW label, and seeing this listed as an ambient album paired with the artwork had me curious. Very gorgeous use of space and vibrant, resonant electronic tones.
This is the "official" reissue of 76:14 put out by Mark Pritchard and Tom Middleton themselves, not the unauthorized MOV reissue. Never heard of this prior to this year (thank you, folks in the Ambient / Noise / Lowercase / Field Recordings / etc. thread) and I do feel this is an important one. Glad to have it.

Jazz pickups:

Bobby Hutcherson - Oblique
John Coltrane - Ballads
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Nina Simone - Pastel Blues

20201202_051730.jpg

They're all great. You knew that already.

Current year pickup:

Mr. Bungle - The Raging Wrath of the Easter Bunny Demo

20201202_051829.jpg

Not a fan of this one at all. Played it once; no desire to play again. Sounds like lukewarm thrash metal to my ears.

Miscellaneous pickups:

Alice in Chains - Facelift
Jay-Z - The Black Album
Mariah Carey - Daydream
Pink Floyd - Animals

20201202_052101.jpg

Solid sounding 2xLP reissue of the AiC debut.
Going to offload this Jay-Z album at a local. Sounds great, but wouldn't be tempted to spin this one consistently. Also slightly warped.
Surprisingly, the Mariah Carey classic sounds pretty solid. Perhaps cut a little hot. Do I want this one long term? Not sure.
Finally got my favorite Pink Floyd record (relatively) on the cheap. This 2016 remaster sounds quite nice. Part of my Top50.

Ryuichi Sakamoto - Thousand Knives of Ryuichi Sakamoto
The Seatbelts - Cowboy Bebop OST
Tears for Fears - Songs From the Big Chair
toe - songs, ideas we forgot

20201202_052319.jpg

I saw quite a few people have this Sakamoto album, often considered one of his more well-known works, and had to try it out. It is quite experimental and eclectic! Glad to have nabbed one at Target for $20 when they available.
At long last, Cowboy Bebop has been made officially available on LP! Great mastering and the Milan colorway is gorgeous.
Another one of my Top50 that was missing egregiously, I was able to get Songs From the Big Chair relatively cheap from the Target sales. Every record store I've been to sells this one for $25+ and it clearly isn't worth it for the minimal packaging. Sadly, sound quality isn't anything to be impressed by.
First album I've listened to of the Japanese post-rock/math rock group all the way and it is a very tight, engaging listen. Enjoyed it quite so.

A much smaller set of acquisitions in the past month, thankfully. Didn't go to Portland to record shop last month (due to world events and for safety), so the majority of these were preorders from Target. Only one in-month purchase was made, just because of how cheap the Jay-Z album paired with $10 off code at uDiscover came out to be.

November Acquisitions

Ambient pickups:

View attachment 78384

I do like the selections put out by the WRWTFWW label, and seeing this listed as an ambient album paired with the artwork had me curious. Very gorgeous use of space and vibrant, resonant electronic tones.
This is the "official" reissue of 76:14 put out by Mark Pritchard and Tom Middleton themselves, not the unauthorized MOV reissue. Never heard of this prior to this year (thank you, folks in the Ambient / Noise / Lowercase / Field Recordings / etc. thread) and I do feel this is an important one. Glad to have it.

Jazz pickups:

John Coltrane - Ballads

View attachment 78382

Current year pickup:

View attachment 78383

Not a fan of this one at all. Played it once; no desire to play again. Sounds like lukewarm thrash metal to my ears.

Miscellaneous pickups:

Jay-Z - The Black Album
Mariah Carey - Daydream
Pink Floyd - Animals

View attachment 78381

Going to offload this Jay-Z album at a local. Sounds great, but wouldn't be tempted to spin this one consistently. Also slightly warped.
Surprisingly, the Mariah Carey classic sounds pretty solid. Perhaps cut a little hot. Do I want this one long term? Not sure.
Finally got my favorite Pink Floyd record (relatively) on the cheap. This 2016 remaster sounds quite nice. Part of my Top50.

View attachment 78380

I saw quite a few people have this Sakamoto album, often considered one of his more well-known works, and had to try it out. It is quite experimental and eclectic! Glad to have nabbed one at Target for $20 when they available.
At long last, Cowboy Bebop has been made officially available on LP! Great mastering and the Milan colorway is gorgeous.
Another one of my Top50 that was missing egregiously, I was able to get Songs From the Big Chair relatively cheap from the Target sales. Every record store I've been to sells this one for $25+ and it clearly isn't worth it for the minimal packaging. Sadly, sound quality isn't anything to be impressed by.
First album I've listened to of the Japanese post-rock/math rock group all the way and it is a very tight, engaging listen. Enjoyed it quite so.

I'd recommend continuing with "The Book About My Idle Plot On A Vague Anxiety" for toe if you haven't heard it yet. I think it's toe's best album, though "songs, ideas we forgot" has some of their best songs. Also I you see "Our Latest Number" EP on vinyl, it's really well pressed and sounds great. Single sided with an etching at side B. 👍

November Acquisitions

Ambient pickups:

View attachment 78384

Jazz pickups:

John Coltrane - Ballads

View attachment 78382

Current year pickup:

View attachment 78383

Miscellaneous pickups:

Jay-Z - The Black Album
Mariah Carey - Daydream
Pink Floyd - Animals

View attachment 78381

View attachment 78380

Nice haul! Where did you end up buying the official 76:14?

Just listening to Facelift right now. Wow, those last 4 or so songs really drag the record down. That is something cds really have to answer for, this compulsion with a lot of 90s bands to release every song they recorded just to try and fill the thing.

Agreed, that's why I didn't bother ordering this reissue. It opens with a bang ("We Die Young" and "Man in the Box" are such a great 1-2 punch) but it's just not that good of an album overall. Dirt is far superior.

That being said, I probably would've ordered it if I didn't have serious storage issues right now.

It's been a great week at the door, and I haven't bought a record all week 🤣

Girlfriend caught up with a friend for a minute and started talking about my love of music and records. This gal was into it too, and her husband is the drummer in this Portland band The Pynnacles from what I understand. I've actually seen them a couple times, and the lead singer Sean Croghan was in Crackerbash back in the Portland heyday. Anywho, she gave the Girlfriend these 2 LP's for me, and totally grateful. The cover on that first album is fantastic!

ECFE9A11-E08B-486A-8A49-FAC013E133A5.jpeg

PIF's galore! Thanks to @Sonicpharmacist @DevonJD @tvham @Ethos99 (thanks for the Roxanne add on too! 😃). Some fantastic records that will get a lot of play here.

3ADEDBA0-1124-4E02-80FA-67CBDBDB2F9F.jpeg

Couple of Sloan records showed up too! Twice Removed is great, and digging the B Sides.

CA9F3EE2-08A2-451D-B9D8-8D61552D271E.jpeg

This was a very good week for my ears and turntable, but no so great for my wallet:

IMG_20201204_190657.jpg

VA - Afro-Peruvian Classics: The Soul of Black Peru
Bob Marley and The Wailers - Survival
Charles Lloyd - 8: Kindred Spirits

BtW, if anyone is on the fence on this Lloyd record, grab it now! It is a fantastic set... One of my favorite albums of the year. The pressing and packaging are top notch too. Think of a double Tone Poet with a deluxe packaging.

Last edited:
Back