Fresh Grabs

The O’My’s -Above Ground

I will give credit to vmp...I would’ve never heard of this this band without them...now I can’t get enough

they still have this on their website , limited press of 250 ( mine also came with a signed print )
image.jpg

A mixed collection of records and oddities this week, which mainly centres around Tubby Hayes and the British jazz scene.

The Jazz Couriers With Ronnie Scott And Tubby Hayes - In Concert (Tempo, 1958 First Mono Pressing)
The Tubby Hayes Quintet - Late Spot At Scott's (Fontana, 1963 First Mono Pressing)
The Dick Morrissey Quartet - It's Morrissey, Man! (Fontana, 1961 First Mono Pressing)
The Jazz Couriers - Tippin': The Jazz Couriers Live In Morecambe 1959 (Gearbox, 2012 Limited Pressing)

This is the rarities bundle for sure. The Tempo release are always tricky to find and the label destroyed their tapes to make room in the 1980's, so really OG's are the only way to get the best pressings. The 'Late Spot At Scott's' is a truly fantastic live session which has the saxophonist introduce the band and each individual track. The real gem here though is the Dick Morrissey Quartet, which is INCREDIBLY rare and goes for mad money. Morrissey was a disciple of Hayes and this album is his debut. Finally a previously unreleased session from Hayes which was recorded up north in 1959.

IMG_5263.JPG

Poster and Oddities bundle!
This is such a killer find which I am ecstatic about! The T&H Club was a local small club which held jam sessions. One day Ronnie Scott was practising and a young 14-year-old asked if he could play his instrument. The boy happened to be Tubby Hayes and he knocked the socks off everyone in the club. When the club moved to a permanent venue (which is just down the road from where I live, I can see it from my window) Tubby became a regular fixture. These super rare posters are from the 1950's, with the top left being the Grand Opening poster.

IMG_5199.jpg

Dave Brubeck Quartet with The Jazz Couriers 1958 UK Tour programme
The Jazz Couriers Featuring Tubby Hayes And Ronnie Scott ‎– The Last Word - Reel to reel

More Tubby oddities. In the 1950's musicians from the UK and the US were banned from playing in each other's countries due to a feud between their respective music authorities. After this feud subsided a 'one for one' deal was introduced, which also meant that if a US musician toured in the UK he would have to be backed by a UK group warm-up act. Brubeck chose The Jazz Couriers and the tour became legendary. It was on this tour that they recorded the 'In Concert' album that I also picked up this week. Finally in the bundle is also a reel to reel, hopefully this doesn't spark another medium I look out for....

IMG_5262.jpg

The Sun Ra Arkestra - A Fireside Chat With Lucifer (Saturn Research, 2020 VMP Exclusive Pressing)
Harold Alexander - Sunshine Man (Flying Dutchman, 2020 VMP Exclusive Pressing)
Roland Haynes - 2nd Wave (Black Jazz, 2020 VMP Exclusive Pressing)
Coleman Hawkins - The Hawk Flies High (Riverside, 2020 VMP Classics Pressing)
Gorillaz ‎– Song Machine Season One (Parlophone, 2020 VMP Exclusive Pressing)
Freddie Gibbs & Alchemist ‎– Alfredo (ESGN, 2020 VMP Exclusive Pressing)

Finally, a decent haul from VMP which I cannot wait to dig into!

IMG_5264.JPG

Fresh November Grabs
1E5EF0F3-DDCE-436C-B823-5037DD2839BD.jpeg
The Grateful Dead - Aoxomoxoa
The Grateful Dead - Europe ’72
The War On Drugs - Live Drugs
Freddie Gibbs - Piñata '74
Freddie Gibbs - Alfredo
The Seatbelts - Cowboy Bebop

The Europe ‘72 is a 1973 repress the jacket is a bit beat up but it sounds great and I was able to pick it up for a good price. Aoxomoxoa is a 2020 Chris Bellman cut reissue it sounds nice also. War On Drugs is the purple indie exclusive and it sound amazing. Piñata '74 was obtained and shipped to me by the wonderful @Crabbers . Alfredo is the VMP exclusive and last but not least is the Milan pressing of the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack.

Back