Fresh Grabs

So this is my birthday haul from Monday. Its a mixture of presents and a couple of packages which just so happen to arrive over the weekend.

Original Peter Utrecht Record Hunting Bag
Lee Morgan Sextet - Volume 2 (Blue Note, 1957 First Mono Pressing)
Tubby Hayes - Tubbs (Fontana, 1961 First Mono Pressing)
Tubby Hayes - Tubbs In N.Y. (Fontana, 1962 First Mono Pressing)
Donald Byrd - Byrd Blows On Beacon Hill (Transition, 1979 Japanese King Pressing)
Norah Jones – Come Away With Me (Blue Note/Analogue Productions 2012 Pressing)
Nathan Davis With Georges Arvanitas Trio - Live In Paris (Sam Records, 2018 Promo Pressing)
Bobby Jaspar - S/T (Barclay/Sam Records, 2019 Pressing)
Jef Gilson – Jef Gilson a Gaveau (SFP/Sam Records 2020 Pressing)

The bag is a fantastic gift from my amazing girlfriend, it holds 40 LP's, is made in England with real leather, double-layered canvas and has internal dividers - its just incredibly well made and looks fantastic. I will definitely be using this a lot at carboot sales, markets ect. The Lee Morgan Sextet is a HUGE find for me, it's his 3rd album as lead (after Indeed! and Introducing) and is really tricky to find at an affordable price, I completely lucked out with this one. I was talking to an Instagram user about how tricky it is to find original Tubby Hayes records and a day later a seller I had been chatting to previously, offered up these 2 at a fraction of their usual sale price. They are in stellar condition and the music just shows why Tubby became one of the UK's biggest jazz stars. I have been wanting to get a copy of Byrd Blows On Beacon Hill for ages but the original is just unobtainable. I found this Japanese King pressing at a great price (shipped from Japan as well) and its just an amazing session. On to a fantastically generous gift from our very own @Skalap. I was asking about the Nora Jones AP pressing on the Jazz thread the other day and Skalap swooped in and offered up this copy free of charge. He then covered the postage from France himself and even threw in a really nice note with some masterful artwork! Thanks so much again buddy! Finally, a package arrived from Sam Records to fill in the missing gaps in my collection, with a 3lp Nathan Davis Promo set, Bobby Jaspar's S/T, and their latest release of Jef Gilson (actually meant to be released at the end of August but this came early). Phew, what a great day!

View attachment 60043
View attachment 60044
View attachment 60045
A 40-LP bag?? Your girlfriend is generous! No way my wife would gift me a bag that held more than five LPs. Trust me, I’ve asked haha (for use at RSD and record conventions). It’s a beaut — love the color. And great vinyl haul (with cheers to @Skalap)! Happy Belated Birthday!

A 40-LP bag?? Your girlfriend is generous haha! No way my wife would gift me a bag that held more than five LPs. Trust me, I’ve asked for use at RSD. It’s a beaut — love the color. And great vinyl haul with cheers to @Skalap! Happy Belated Birthday!
Its crazy, I haven't tested it fully yet but it certainly looks to be a great bag. I usually use a canvas tote but it provides no protection really. Thanks so much, it was a great day!

This is probably the most messed up looking mailer that's shown up at my door. I cringed to think what was inside, and yeah the damage isn't pretty.
20200805_140627.jpg
20200805_140636.jpg
20200805_140858.jpg
20200805_140854.jpg
Man I don't feel like having to send this back after it took so long to get here. But water damage + major corner bends add up and I'd be surprised if the records made it out unscathed given the state of the box and jacket.

This is probably the most messed up looking mailer that's shown up at my door. I cringed to think what was inside, and yeah the damage isn't pretty.
View attachment 60052
View attachment 60053
View attachment 60054
View attachment 60055
Man I don't feel like having to send this back after it took so long to get here. But water damage + major corner bends add up and I'd be surprised if the records made it out unscathed given the state of the box and jacket.
What album was it?

What album was it?
Benjamin Clementine - I Tell a Fly, I got it from the Sound of Vinyl store since it was on sale and at a good price for shipping to the US. I've sent them a message and now just hoping that getting a replacement (hopefully) or a refund/returning the album is fairly stress-free. The pictures I included in that post actually make it look better than it is, it's by far the most damaged record I've ever received in the mail.

Benjamin Clementine - I Tell a Fly, I got it from the Sound of Vinyl store since it was on sale and at a good price for shipping to the US. I've sent them a message and now just hoping that getting a replacement (hopefully) or a refund/returning the album is fairly stress-free. The pictures I included in that post actually make it look better than it is, it's by far the most damaged record I've ever received in the mail.
That blows. Godspeed!

A 40-LP bag?? Your girlfriend is generous! No way my wife would gift me a bag that held more than five LPs. Trust me, I’ve asked haha (for use at RSD and record conventions). It’s a beaut — love the color. And great vinyl haul (with cheers to @Skalap)! Happy Belated Birthday!

Cheers! I love that bag too. I'll ask my girlfriend to buy me one and I'll keep you updated if it worked (but it probably won't).

So this is my birthday haul from Monday. Its a mixture of presents and a couple of packages which just so happen to arrive over the weekend.

Original Peter Utrecht Record Hunting Bag
Lee Morgan Sextet - Volume 2 (Blue Note, 1957 First Mono Pressing)
Tubby Hayes - Tubbs (Fontana, 1961 First Mono Pressing)
Tubby Hayes - Tubbs In N.Y. (Fontana, 1962 First Mono Pressing)
Donald Byrd - Byrd Blows On Beacon Hill (Transition, 1979 Japanese King Pressing)
Norah Jones – Come Away With Me (Blue Note/Analogue Productions 2012 Pressing)
Nathan Davis With Georges Arvanitas Trio - Live In Paris (Sam Records, 2018 Promo Pressing)
Bobby Jaspar - S/T (Barclay/Sam Records, 2019 Pressing)
Jef Gilson – Jef Gilson a Gaveau (SFP/Sam Records 2020 Pressing)

The bag is a fantastic gift from my amazing girlfriend, it holds 40 LP's, is made in England with real leather, double-layered canvas and has internal dividers - its just incredibly well made and looks fantastic. I will definitely be using this a lot at carboot sales, markets ect. The Lee Morgan Sextet is a HUGE find for me, it's his 3rd album as lead (after Indeed! and Introducing) and is really tricky to find at an affordable price, I completely lucked out with this one. I was talking to an Instagram user about how tricky it is to find original Tubby Hayes records and a day later a seller I had been chatting to previously, offered up these 2 at a fraction of their usual sale price. They are in stellar condition and the music just shows why Tubby became one of the UK's biggest jazz stars. I have been wanting to get a copy of Byrd Blows On Beacon Hill for ages but the original is just unobtainable. I found this Japanese King pressing at a great price (shipped from Japan as well) and its just an amazing session. On to a fantastically generous gift from our very own @Skalap. I was asking about the Nora Jones AP pressing on the Jazz thread the other day and Skalap swooped in and offered up this copy free of charge. He then covered the postage from France himself and even threw in a really nice note with some masterful artwork! Thanks so much again buddy! Finally, a package arrived from Sam Records to fill in the missing gaps in my collection, with a 3lp Nathan Davis Promo set, Bobby Jaspar's S/T, and their latest release of Jef Gilson (actually meant to be released at the end of August but this came early). Phew, what a great day!

View attachment 60043
View attachment 60044
View attachment 60045
I'm so jealous of that Byrd Blows on Beacon Hill. Been on the hunt for that one for a decent price for awhile. That bag is slick too!

It's not all bad news however. @MikeH sold me his copy of the Secretly pressing of the new Jason Molina record at a great price and so I owe him a big thanks for that! I'm excited to spin it later, it helps make up for the sting of the condition my other new arrival came in
View attachment 60056
That first post greatly worried me as I thought maybe somehow it was the Molina album hah Glad the Molina arrived safely and seems to be fully in tact! Enjoy it! Glad it went to a good home.

Fontaines DC havent suffered from the famed sophomore slump on this new album the follow up to their incredible debut "Dogrel"

"A Hero's Death" is another excellent album from start to finish. Great to see a band from my hometown Dublin getting so widely accepted and loved around the world & rightly so 💙

2lp 45rpm vinyl × 1lp stormy blue vinyl & a print signed by the entire band 🔥

IMG_20200805_221143_238.jpg

Fontaines DC havent suffered from the famed sophomore slump on this new album the follow up to their incredible debut "Dogrel"

"A Hero's Death" is another excellent album from start to finish. Great to see a band from my hometown Dublin getting so widely accepted and loved around the world & rightly so 💙

View attachment 60084
Are you gonna spin both versions? I would be curious if the 2xLP 45RPM picks up enough fidelitywise to make it worth the extra flips. If you end up spinning both I would love a quick review if you’re up for it.

I hope you get a replacement, I love that album!

View attachment 60084

Nice 👍. Hopefully mine are somewhere over the open seas. Print looks great. I was to cheap to pay for tracked shipping so I sit and wait. :).

Are you gonna spin both versions? I would be curious if the 2xLP 45RPM picks up enough fidelitywise to make it worth the extra flips. If you end up spinning both I would love a quick review if you’re up for it.
Soon as I have the time probably this weekend. Sure. Bare in mind I'm in no way an audiophile or got a set up expected of one but ill definitely give it a shot. Only reason I got both versions was because it was part of a bundle with the signed print tbh

Nice 👍. Hopefully mine are somewhere over the open seas. Print looks great. I was to cheap to pay for tracked shipping so I sit and wait. :).
Hope it reaches you ASAP. Great album. Looking forward to spinning it. On a 12 day shift and all over the country i haven't had a minute lol 🤪

Soon as I have the time probably this weekend. Sure. Bare in mind I'm in no way an audiophile or got a set up expected of one but ill definitely give it a shot. Only reason I got both versions was because it was part of a bundle with the signed print tbh
Perfect! I am not an audiophile either but if the difference is stark enough that you could notice than I imagine it would be enough for me to notice also.

Perfect! I am not an audiophile either but if the difference is stark enough that you could notice than I imagine it would be enough for me to notice also.
Oh yeah for sure i am and my system is capable of telling the difference between pressings....suppose I just wanted to add the disclaimer in case your on the higher end of the listening scale lol

Back