Fresh Grabs

Boco Thierry et Les Volcans - 1000 Watts
Pierre Tchana et Black Santiago
William Onyeabor - Atomic Bomb

The Thierry Boco has been a long-time quest for me - it's superior Afro-Latin and the last of the big Volcans records I needed. The Pierre Tchana is nice, gentle music from Benin. The Onyeabor was virtually free from Superfly so it seemed rude not to (it's in great shape and under half the price of the new reissues!)

20200803_192448.jpg

Sharhabil Ahmed - The King Of Sudanese Jazz
Miles Davis - Live at Fillmore West 1970

I'm not a fan of all the releases on the Habibi Funk label but this is a great one from Sudan. It's got a Ethiopian kind of vibe so any fans of Ayalew Mesfin or Mulatu Astatke should check it out. I think it will be at the top or nearly for my reissues of the year, it's that good. And the Miles is a bootleg but I dig this period so much that I took a chance on it. It's 45rpm and sounds really good.

20200803_192502.jpg

20200804_125043.jpg
Awww yeah RTJ2 acquired.
Now you may be saying to yourself... "But Mather, by all accounts this is being repressed in like 2 months... why would you go out and buy this from Germany for like twice the cost?"
And to that I say, "Friends, there are certain times in a person's life that you must ask yourself an important question. And that question is: "Do you want to fucking party?"
And friends, I want to fucking party.

View attachment 59934
Awww yeah RTJ2 acquired.
Now you may be saying to yourself... "But Mather, by all accounts this is being repressed in like 2 months... why would you go out and buy this from Germany for like twice the cost?"
And to that I say, "Friends, there are certain times in a person's life that you must ask yourself an important question. And that question is: "Do you want to fucking party?"
And friends, I want to fucking party.
LOL! You Just couldn’t wait.

I got it sealed for a good price, so I jumped because you never know what happens with these represses, this pressing had decent reviews so I decided it was worth it. But RTJ3 is gunna have to wait.
Is this with or without the gangsta boo verse? Mine is with. I didn’t realize there were two versions until recently.

The Best Laid Plans Fresh Grabs
0F7DF60F-FED1-47AB-9350-CF6A6CE85FE8.jpeg
Helmet - Meantime
[original press]
Codeine - Frigid Stars
LP [original press]
Guided By Voices - Vampire On Titus

I went in to my LRS with the purpose of picking up the indie exclusive of The Fontaines DC new album but while perusing their recent arrivals section I found original pressings of Meantime and Frigid Stars and since they had multiple copies of Fontaines available, figured I would grab these instead. The GBV is the recent Scat reissue that also arrived in mail the same day making this a very 90s Record day.

So this is my birthday haul from Monday. Its a mixture of presents and a couple of packages which just so happen to arrive over the weekend.

Original Peter Utrecht Record Hunting Bag
Lee Morgan Sextet - Volume 2 (Blue Note, 1957 First Mono Pressing)
Tubby Hayes - Tubbs (Fontana, 1961 First Mono Pressing)
Tubby Hayes - Tubbs In N.Y. (Fontana, 1962 First Mono Pressing)
Donald Byrd - Byrd Blows On Beacon Hill (Transition, 1979 Japanese King Pressing)
Norah Jones – Come Away With Me (Blue Note/Analogue Productions 2012 Pressing)
Nathan Davis With Georges Arvanitas Trio - Live In Paris (Sam Records, 2018 Promo Pressing)
Bobby Jaspar - S/T (Barclay/Sam Records, 2019 Pressing)
Jef Gilson – Jef Gilson a Gaveau (SFP/Sam Records 2020 Pressing)

The bag is a fantastic gift from my amazing girlfriend, it holds 40 LP's, is made in England with real leather, double-layered canvas and has internal dividers - its just incredibly well made and looks fantastic. I will definitely be using this a lot at carboot sales, markets ect. The Lee Morgan Sextet is a HUGE find for me, it's his 3rd album as lead (after Indeed! and Introducing) and is really tricky to find at an affordable price, I completely lucked out with this one. I was talking to an Instagram user about how tricky it is to find original Tubby Hayes records and a day later a seller I had been chatting to previously, offered up these 2 at a fraction of their usual sale price. They are in stellar condition and the music just shows why Tubby became one of the UK's biggest jazz stars. I have been wanting to get a copy of Byrd Blows On Beacon Hill for ages but the original is just unobtainable. I found this Japanese King pressing at a great price (shipped from Japan as well) and its just an amazing session. On to a fantastically generous gift from our very own @Skalap. I was asking about the Nora Jones AP pressing on the Jazz thread the other day and Skalap swooped in and offered up this copy free of charge. He then covered the postage from France himself and even threw in a really nice note with some masterful artwork! Thanks so much again buddy! Finally, a package arrived from Sam Records to fill in the missing gaps in my collection, with a 3lp Nathan Davis Promo set, Bobby Jaspar's S/T, and their latest release of Jef Gilson (actually meant to be released at the end of August but this came early). Phew, what a great day!

IMG_0677.JPG
IMG_0678.jpg
IMG_0679.jpg

The Best Laid Plans Fresh Grabs
View attachment 60035
Helmet - Meantime
[original press]
Codeine - Frigid Stars
LP [original press]
Guided By Voices - Vampire On Titus

I went in to my LRS with the purpose of picking up the indie exclusive of The Fontaines DC new album but while perusing their recent arrivals section I found original pressings of Meantime and Frigid Stars and since they had multiple copies of Fontaines available, figured I would grab these instead. The GBV is the recent Scat reissue that also arrived in mail the same day making this a very 90s Record day.
Meantime is a ‘90s classic — curious how that pressing sounds when you give it a listen.

Meantime is a ‘90s classic — curious how that pressing sounds when you give it a listen.
Agreed. I was happy to find it. I know it’s been repressed by ORG at one point so I would imagine that would be be the copy to go after if you went for a reissue but I couldn’t pass up an OG. I will hopefully give it a spin this afternoon and will let ya know how it sounds.

Back