Fresh Grabs

William Onyeabor - Body and Soul (OG 1980 pressing on Wilfilms Records. WRLPS 1007)

This is a big one. An original Ghanaian pressing from the legendary funk artist. I won this on a bidding war and later found the same seller had it listed on discogs for 2-3 times the amount I paid (he took it down shortly after I won it). While the cover is truly battered, the record itself is in incredible condition and certainly a VG+. There's no visible wear to the record, and I can't even see any surface marks (other than the smallest mark which I might even be able to get rid of with a good clean). This is one of the most sought after William Onyeabor records and if I ever manage to get a cover to match the condition of the record itself it will be worth some serious money. For now im going to play the hell out of it!

On a side note, the seller had actually included a link to some audio files of the record to allow buyers to assess the sound quality. I though this was such a great thing to do as its always a bit nerve racking bidding on an old/used record without knowing the actual playing quality.

Some late in the day packages arrived.

Mark De Clive-Lowe ‎– Heritage II (Ropeadope Records on Blue vinyl)

Thanks to @Skalap for picking Heritage for the inaugural N&G AOTM. Such a fantastic set of records and I can't wait for the AMA with Mark!

Lloyd McNeill ‎– Treasures (Soul Jazz Records reissue, 2019)
Thanks to Mr Moore for posting the link to this, and eventually guiding me to Amazons next day delivery after I lazily decided not to trek across town to get this. Some really fantastic soul jazz here, I imagine this will get played a lot over the next few weeks. Out of interest @Mr Moore have you got the other 3 they have reissued? Would you recommend them in relation to the type of music on Treasures?

William Onyeabor - Body and Soul (OG 1980 pressing on Wilfilms Records. WRLPS 1007)

This is a big one. An original Ghanaian pressing from the legendary funk artist. I won this on a bidding war and later found the same seller had it listed on discogs for 2-3 times the amount I paid (he took it down shortly after I won it). While the cover is truly battered, the record itself is in incredible condition and certainly a VG+. There's no visible wear to the record, and I can't even see any surface marks (other than the smallest mark which I might even be able to get rid of with a good clean). This is one of the most sought after William Onyeabor records and if I ever manage to get a cover to match the condition of the record itself it will be worth some serious money. For now im going to play the hell out of it!

On a side note, the seller had actually included a link to some audio files of the record to allow buyers to assess the sound quality. I though this was such a great thing to do as its always a bit nerve racking bidding on an old/used record without knowing the actual playing quality.

View attachment 5357

View attachment 5358
I pretty much insist on sounds samples for African records off Ebay. There's a Wills Records who sells a lot of dope Ethiopian stuff who always includes it and all my favourite West African sellers too. I find often albums play quite well at G/G+, especially after a clean, but singles tend to be v noisy at that grading. Beggars can't often be choosers so I've got plenty of singles like that. Almost none where it is unbearable (except one I think I got free from one seller).
PS I get the impression the Onyearbor bubble is deflating somewhat. I've noticed more of his stuff for sale recently, and most of it reasonably priced. I'm guessing a fair number bought OGs and then decided they preferred the mint nature of the reissues...

Some late in the day packages arrived.

Mark De Clive-Lowe ‎– Heritage II (Ropeadope Records on Blue vinyl)

Thanks to @Skalap for picking Heritage for the inaugural N&G AOTM. Such a fantastic set of records and I can't wait for the AMA with Mark!

Lloyd McNeill ‎– Treasures (Soul Jazz Records reissue, 2019)
Thanks to Mr Moore for posting the link to this, and eventually guiding me to Amazons next day delivery after I lazily decided not to trek across town to get this. Some really fantastic soul jazz here, I imagine this will get played a lot over the next few weeks. Out of interest @Mr Moore have you got the other 3 they have reissued? Would you recommend them in relation to the type of music on Treasures?

View attachment 5432
I really love Asha and Washington Suite. I was kind of surprised how good they were - as good jazz reissues as I've picked up for a long time. Streaming, I didn't like the Tanner Suite so much but I probably owe it another try.

I pretty much insist on sounds samples for African records off Ebay. There's a Wills Records who sells a lot of dope Ethiopian stuff who always includes it and all my favourite West African sellers too. I find often albums play quite well at G/G+, especially after a clean, but singles tend to be v noisy at that grading. Beggars can't often be choosers so I've got plenty of singles like that. Almost none where it is unbearable (except one I think I got free from one seller).
PS I get the impression the Onyearbor bubble is deflating somewhat. I've noticed more of his stuff for sale recently, and most of it reasonably priced. I'm guessing a fair number bought OGs and then decided they preferred the mint nature of the reissues...
I've seen 2-3 sellers on eBay and Discogs post audio clips and I'm always surprised at how they cautiously they grade them. There was one (which to be fair I didnt pick up) that was graded as a Good but the clips had hardly any surface noise. I guess they dont want to get stung with people asking for refunds or something.

I have actually noticed just the same thing with the Onyeabor stuff. I was first turned on to him a few years back when my mate had one of his songs in a playlist at a house party/gathering and I remember looking at OG pressings at the time and they were wayyy more than they are now. Im really glad of it anyway, perfect time for me to scoop them up.

First stop at Heartbeat Vinyl Store: amazing shop, super friendly owner, fair prices considering how rare are some the records he has on stock and a first plastic bag full of 5 Japanese jazz records:

View attachment 5442

Next stop: Superfly Records.
Look on their website - it ever there was a day to buy some OG Poly-Rythmo it is today...

First stop at Heartbeat Vinyl Store: amazing shop, super friendly owner, fair prices considering how rare are some the records he has on stock and a first plastic bag full of 5 Japanese jazz records:

View attachment 5442

Next stop: Superfly Records.

Second a final stop at Superfly Records and a second plastic bag with spiritual jazz, Greek fusion jazz and French hip-hop:

P_20190608_194559.jpg

Attachments

• P_20190608_194559.jpg
    P_20190608_194559.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 0
Thanks again to @scotthilk for putting the one time vinyl club together, this Apollo Sunshine album is great. And Self Righteous Brothers added to boot.

Hearing good things about the Stef Chura, looking forward to that! No idea who Claire is, maybe she's who Morphine was singing about :)

95D02FD1-44F8-49E8-8D5A-55D973E67F46.jpeg

Back