Fresh Grabs

Kallax 4x2

The girlfriend and kids are away at the moment so I seized the moment to add a 4x2 and turn the ones in the cellar vertical. Not sure how popular this will be but hoping it will survive. I've now got 31 cubes, plus my boxsets and 7" boxes. 4 of them are free as I've given everything else a bit of extra space. I think this might be it though as we don't have a huge apartment so I reckon I've got about 500 more records I can get. Sounds OK just now...

View attachment 57116
Ah, when the cat's away.... LOL Looks great! My understanding is that those shelves are made to stand upright, meaning somehow the construction better supports the shelves as you have them now (you can see that the vertical supports actually are supporting the shelves when the unit is upright), so keep that in mind when you find yourself having to justify this "transition" haha! 500 more. Stay away from the 'Online Vinyl Deals' and 'Pre-Order' threads and that should take you a while. ;)

Ah, when the cat's away.... LOL Looks great! My understanding is that those shelves are made to stand upright, meaning somehow the construction better supports the shelves as you have them now (you can see that the vertical supports actually are supporting the shelves when the unit is upright), so keep that in mind when you find yourself having to justify this "transition" haha! 500 more. Stay away from the 'Online Vinyl Deals' and 'Pre-Order' threads and that should take you a while. ;)
I'm a lost cause really as I buy about 250 records a year normally. I'd like to think a hard limit might cause me to stop but who I'm kidding. (The 500 is mostly in some more out of the way shelves that are now empty after I filled up these new ones). I've tried to make it look better by putting the covers on display for the records I'm next going to spin but not sure that's enough to convince her 🤣

20200717_235831.jpg

I'm not sure. I ordered it from Amazon at a crazy low price and the order shows a release date of August 7. A local shop is showing that same release date, so maybe it is a US thing. At any rate, enjoy!

yeah it came out here last week so 10/7, it just took a week to be delivered from her online store based in the uk!

Thanks, I really am, it’s actually great press, very happy. Hope you enjoy yours too when it arrives!

No, they're not records, but this week I took advantage of how cheap used CDs are to pick up all four of the anniversary editions of Pavement's first albums. I kind of slept on these when they were released because I had the albums, and most of the time B-sides are B-sides for a reason, but these are really great stuff, with a LOT of bonus material (each 2-disc set is about 2 and a half hours of music) on a par with the great albums they were released with. All in nice packaging with a big booklet of info about each album.

20200717_153553.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Mr Postman! New Laura Marling album arrived. In my nascent top 3 of the year so delighted to finally have it on wax!

View attachment 57064
Where did you get your copy @Joe Mac ? On her site it's still a pre-order but you can't purchase it? I was looking at her site because it seems the limited marble vinyl bundle is the same price as the black vinyl she has on Bandcamp.

C66FA432-3106-49A8-91D4-20F50112A2AF.jpeg
eBay deals from an auction last weekend came through today! All were sealed. Dexter Gordon’s are MM 45RPMs and the Bill Evans is an AP 45RPM. Got all three from the same seller with free shipping for about $30 each. Lucked out that they were pretty vague listings and didn’t say Music Matters or AP so they had one or two bids at most.

No, they're not records, but this week I took advantage of how cheap used CDs are to pick up all four of the anniversary editions of Pavement's first albums. I kind of slept on these when they were released because I had the albums, and most of the time B-sides are B-sides for a reason, but these are really great stuff, with a LOT of bonus material (each 2-disc set is about 2 and a half hours of music) on a par with the great albums they were released with. All in nice packaging with a big booklet of info about each album.

View attachment 57162
If you are interested in getting any of the bonus material on wax Secret History, Vol. 1 contains all the bonus material from the Lux & Redux 2nd disc and you can occasionally find the 4LP Of Brighten The Corners: Nicene Creedence Edition at a reasonable price. I hope they eventually do more Secret History volumes of the other releases or better still do deluxe 4 (or 5) LP pressings for the other albums. Maybe one day.

Last edited:
Where did you get your copy @Joe Mac ? On her site it's still a pre-order but you can't purchase it? I was looking at her site because it seems the limited marble vinyl bundle is the same price as the black vinyl she has on Bandcamp.

I got it on www.recordstore.co.uk theyre a uk based online store, it wasn’t able to be ordered on her own site exactly the same 3 or 4 weeks ago when I bought this one.

Edit: Just checked there too and it’s sold out as well, sorry!

Talking Heads - Remain In Light & Speaking In Tongues
Minor Majority Trio - Big Dipper Sessions
The Charlatans - Between 10th and 11th
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks

This forum and the last Mojo magazine pushed me to finally buy some Talking Heads. The Minor Majority is from a v cool thing my local shop in Oslo did during corona where they had some local bands (they're the only ones I knew) do some direct to disc concerts that were only available for 24 hours (and were signed if you bought during the actual concert). The Charlatans is the only one of their first seven classic albums I didn't have so I was all over this recent reissue - my favourite British band of the mid-90s. And the Van is a replacement for a great-sounding reissue except for one spot of non-fill.

20200718_143856.jpg

Herbie Hancock - Rockit (S-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d Version) (CBS, 1983 First 12" Pressing)
Blossom Dearie - Blossom Time At Ronnie Scott's (Fontana, 1966 First UK Mono Pressing)
Paul Quinichette, etc - Jazz Studio 1 (Brunswick, 1954 First UK Mono Pressing)
Gerry Mulligan - The Age Of Steam (A&M Records, 1972 First UK Pressing)
Ben Webster - Atmosphere For Lovers And Thieves (Polydor, 1971 UK Pressing)
Father Tom Vaughn - Joyful Jazz (Concord Jazz, 1976 First Pressing)
The Cramps - Psychedelic Jungle (I.R.S. Records, 1981 First UK Pressing)
Herbie Hancock - Future Shock (CBS, 1983 Cassette)
Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks (CBS, Cassette)
Bruce Springsteen - Darkness On The Edge Of Town (Columbia, 1978 Cassette)

Another load from the carboot sale today. I picked up the Herbie Hancock 12" for 50p then on the next stall along found the cassette of the full album (the 3 cassettes cost £1). The rest were bought at one stall, I was chatting to the seller for a while and he ended up selling the 6 records for £5 (he wanted £1 each). I have never heard The Cramps before but have seen them pop up in discussion a few times and I figured I cant go wrong for less than a quid. I gambled on the Father Tom Vaughn as I have never heard of him before, but the record was still in shrink and looked interesting so I went for it.

IMG_9967.JPG

View attachment 57202
eBay deals from an auction last weekend came through today! All were sealed. Dexter Gordon’s are MM 45RPMs and the Bill Evans is an AP 45RPM. Got all three from the same seller with free shipping for about $30 each. Lucked out that they were pretty vague listings and didn’t say Music Matters or AP so they had one or two bids at most.

giphy.gif

View attachment 57202
Do they have any more Bill Evans?

Do they have any more Bill Evans?
Sadly no but I probably would have bought them if they did! They only have two Mosaic jazz CD box sets listed right now. They did have quite a lot of MM and AP pressings last week and all sold for really reasonable prices. The median price on the Bill Evans I got on discogs is $100 right now and cheapest available is $150!

If you're looking for any Bill Evans in particular, let me know and I'll keep an eye out on my way too frequent ebay searches hah.

Sadly no but I probably would have bought them if they did! They only have two Mosaic jazz CD box sets listed right now. They did have quite a lot of MM and AP pressings last week and all sold for really reasonable prices. The median price on the Bill Evans I got on discogs is $100 right now and cheapest available is $150!

If you're looking for any Bill Evans in particular, let me know and I'll keep an eye out on my way too frequent ebay searches hah.
Appreciate the offer. I've been scanning eBay for more of his stuff. I lost an auction last week for a lot of 6 Bill Evans albums. I have about 25 titles by him, and all 6 were not duplicates, strangely. Now I'm mostly looking for the oddball live releases that are hard to track down in the wild. Or audiophile pressings for $30! Man you lucked out!

Back