Fresh Grabs

That’s so good to hear! Thanks for the reply Luke! 😊 ‘Who Is Jill Scott? - Words and Sounds Vol. 1‘ is an album that means a lot to me! Me and my sister and brother all really love that album! ♥

It’s one of my favourite albums of 2000, along with D’Angelo’s Voodoo, Erykah Badu’s Mama Gun, The Avalanches Since I Left You & Slum Village’s Fantastic Vol. 2! 😍🏆

I’ve already ordered the album on Amazon, for only AUD$45! I’m hoping it actually ships though within the next few months 🤞 I was so happy to get the Jill Scott record for that price considering my local has it up for AUD$90! 🙏

i took advantage of the Target deal still waiting on the other 2

Bunch of stuff arrived last night!

IMG_1221.jpg

Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil SRX
Grateful Dead - Blues for Allah Rhino reissue
Radiohead - Amnesiac 2x45RPM version
Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool LRSD limited edition
TVOTR - Dear Science - grabbed the last copy of this on Bleep's site the other day!

Before I get judged too much for crazy spending, I will throw in a caveat that I have had a huge clear out and have sold way more records than I have added with this haul. This is a couple of weeks worth.

First up is this amazing pile from Sam Records (plus a few from the label that I was able to get at a good price at a uk store). I have been meaning to get some records from Sam Records for a while now but was put off by the international postage. I got to the point where there was enough to justify the postage and I finally pulled the trigger!
Chet Baker And His Quintet With Bobby Jaspar - S/T (Barclay/Sam Records, 2013 Limited Mono Pressing)
Chet Baker Quartet - S/T (Barclay/Sam Records, 2011 Limited Mono Pressing)
Art Blakey & The New Jazzmen - Live In Paris ‘65 (Sam Records, 2020 Limited Mono Pressing)
Bobby Jaspar - Modern Jazz Au Club Saint Germain (Barclay/Sam Records, 2014 Limited Mono Pressing)
The Nathan Davis Sextet - Peace Treaty (Sam Records, 2020 Limited Pressing)
Barney Wilen Quintet - S/T (Guilde Du Jazz/Sam Records, 2013 Limited Mono Pressing)
Thelonious Monk - Les Liaisons Dangereuses 1960 (Sam Records, 2017 Limited Box Set Pressing)
Clark Terry And His Orchestra Featuring Paul Gonsalves - S/T (Disques Decca/Sam Records, 2019 Limited Mono Pressing)
Donald Byrd Quintet - Parisian Thoroughfare (Brunswick/Sam Records, 2019 Limited Mono Pressing)
Donald Byrd - Byrd In Paris (Brunswick/Sam Records, 2019 Limited Mono Pressing)
John Lewis & Sacha Distel - Afternoon In Paris (Versailles/Sam Records, 2015 Limited Pressing)

IMG_9510.JPG

Next up is box sets galore. I got these for some killer prices, and have been eyeing them up for a while now so glad to finally have them. Much like the Thelonious Monk box from the Sam Records pile, they each have a fantastic booklet with session photos, liner notes ect. Really great packages.
The Complete Pacific Jazz Studio Recordings Of The Chet Baker Quartet With Russ Freeman (Mosaic Records, 1987 Limited Mono Box Set)
The Jazz Composer's Orchestra - Cecil Taylor, Don Cherry, Pharoah Sanders, etc (JCOA Records, 1968 Box Set)
Miles Davis - The CBS Years 1955 - 1985 (CBS, 1988 Box Set)

IMG_9512.JPG
IMG_9515.JPG
IMG_9511.JPG

A couple of big ones. The Lee Morgan almost drove me insane. I was CONVINCED I already had a copy of this and was looking through every record to find it a few weeks ago but couldn't find it. I looked through all my emails etc and it looks like I completely imagined getting it. I think I was bidding on a copy, lost the bid, then streamed the hell out of it (something which I have done a lot in the past). This popped up at a very reasonable price so all happy now. The Albert Ayler is a first press and also one which I lost a few bids on in the past.
Albert Ayler - My Name Is Albert Ayler (Fantasy, 1965 First US Stereo Pressing)
Lee Morgan - Here's Lee Morgan (Vee Jay, 1960 First US Stereo Pressing)

IMG_9514.JPG

The final pile is a load of odd bits. The Peter Ind is a cool record. Peter was the bassist for the likes of Jutta Hipp, Paul Bley, Lee Koniz, etc. At 91 years old he is still active (with a new youtube channel and instagram account). This copy of Contra-Bach is signed by Peter and Bernie Cash and is on Peters own label, Wave. The Horace Tapscott was from Sam Records and is a newly issued live recording on the Dark Tree label. The white sleeved record is super cool, and is a 2lp Test Pressing set of the Blue Note/Mosaic release of the Thelonious Monk Quartet With John Coltrane ‎– At Carnegie Hall. The Jack Wilson was originally meant to be a RSD release limited to 1000 on blue vinyl, but looks like they released it early (unless it was in a first wave or something). The Miles Davis 10" is a real rarity that rarely pops up. The cover has a rip but apart from that it all looks superb!
Tom Misch & Yussef Dayes - What Kinda Music (Blue Note, 2020 VMP Exclusive Orange Vinyl)
The Jack Wilson Quartet Featuring Roy Ayers - Call Me Jazz From The Penthouse (Century 67 Records, 2020 RSD 2LP Pressing on Blue Vinyl)
Horace Tapscott With The Pan-Afrikan Peoples Arkestra And The Great Voice Of UGMAA - Live At LACMA, 1998 (Dark Tree, 2020 First Limited Pressing)
Jackie McLean - A Ghetto Lullaby (Steeplechase, 1974 First Pressing)
Cecil Taylor Unit - Dark To Themselves (Enja, 1976 First Pressing)
Thelonious Monk Quartet With John Coltrane - At Carnegie Hall (Blue Note/Mosaic, 2018 2LP Test Pressing)
Peter Ind & Bernie Cash - Contra-Bach (Wave, 1970 First Signed Pressing)
Thelonious Monk - It's Monk's Time (CBS, 1964 First UK Mono Pressing)
The Miles Davis Sextet - Blue 'N Boogie / Walkin' (Esquire, First UK 10" Pressing)
Gerry Mulligan And Thelonious Monk - Giants Meeting (Riverside, 1963 EP 7" Pressing)

IMG_9513.JPG

Finally, a load of books that I have bought over the past 2 weeks. I tend to buy a load in one go then burn through them over the next few months. I have a big list and usually just go for the super cheap copies (most of these were a couple of quid). I also picked up some Down Beat's which have the readers poll.
Lets Get To The Nitty Gritty by Horace Silver
Sugar Free Saxophone - The Life And Music Of Jackie McLean by Derek Ansell
The House That Trane Built - The Story Of Impulse Records by Ashley Kahn
Born Under The Sign Of Jazz by Randi Hultin
Down Beat x2
Charlie Parker - Jazz Masters by Brian Priestly
Billie Holiday - Jazz Masters by Burnett James
The Penguin Guide To Jazz by Brian Morton & Richard Cook

IMG_9516.JPG

Before I get judged too much for crazy spending, I will throw in a caveat that I have had a huge clear out and have sold way more records than I have added with this haul. This is a couple of weeks worth.

First up is this amazing pile from Sam Records (plus a few from the label that I was able to get at a good price at a uk store). I have been meaning to get some records from Sam Records for a while now but was put off by the international postage. I got to the point where there was enough to justify the postage and I finally pulled the trigger!
Chet Baker And His Quintet With Bobby Jaspar - S/T (Barclay/Sam Records, 2013 Limited Mono Pressing)
Art Blakey & The New Jazzmen - Live In Paris ‘65 (Sam Records, 2020 Limited Mono Pressing)
Bobby Jaspar - Modern Jazz Au Club Saint Germain (Barclay/Sam Records, 2014 Limited Mono Pressing)
The Nathan Davis Sextet - Peace Treaty (Sam Records, 2020 Limited Pressing)
Barney Wilen Quintet - S/T (Guilde Du Jazz/Sam Records, 2013 Limited Mono Pressing)
Thelonious Monk - Les Liaisons Dangereuses 1960 (Sam Records, 2017 Limited Box Set Pressing)
Clark Terry And His Orchestra Featuring Paul Gonsalves - S/T (Disques Decca/Sam Records, 2019 Limited Mono Pressing)
Donald Byrd Quintet - Parisian Thoroughfare (Brunswick/Sam Records, 2019 Limited Mono Pressing)
Donald Byrd - Byrd In Paris (Brunswick/Sam Records, 2019 Limited Mono Pressing)
John Lewis & Sacha Distel - Afternoon In Paris (Versailles/Sam Records, 2015 Limited Pressing)

View attachment 55663

Next up is box sets galore. I got these for some killer prices, and have been eyeing them up for a while now so glad to finally have them. Much like the Thelonious Monk box from the Sam Records pile, they each have a fantastic booklet with session photos, liner notes ect. Really great packages.
The Complete Pacific Jazz Studio Recordings Of The Chet Baker Quartet With Russ Freeman (Mosaic Records, 1987 Limited Mono Box Set)
The Jazz Composer's Orchestra - Cecil Taylor, Don Cherry, Pharoah Sanders, etc (JCOA Records, 1968 Box Set)
Miles Davis - The CBS Years 1955 - 1985 (CBS, 1988 Box Set)

View attachment 55664
View attachment 55665
View attachment 55666

A couple of big ones. The Lee Morgan almost drove me insane. I was CONVINCED I already had a copy of this and was looking through every record to find it a few weeks ago but couldn't find it. I looked through all my emails etc and it looks like I completely imagined getting it. I think I was bidding on a copy, lost the bid, then streamed the hell out of it (something which I have done a lot in the past). This popped up at a very reasonable price so all happy now. The Albert Ayler is a first press and also one which I lost a few bids on in the past.
Albert Ayler - My Name Is Albert Ayler (Fantasy, 1965 First US Stereo Pressing)
Lee Morgan - Here's Lee Morgan (Vee Jay, 1960 First US Stereo Pressing)

View attachment 55667

The final pile is a load of odd bits. The Peter Ind is a cool record. Peter was the bassist for the likes of Jutta Hipp, Paul Bley, Lee Koniz, etc. At 91 years old he is still active (with a new youtube channel and instagram account). This copy of Contra-Bach is signed by Peter and Bernie Cash and is on Peters own label, Wave. The Horace Tapscott was from Sam Records and is a newly issued live recording on the Dark Tree label. The white sleeved record is super cool, and is a 2lp Test Pressing set of the Blue Note/Mosaic release of the Thelonious Monk Quartet With John Coltrane ‎– At Carnegie Hall. The Jack Wilson was originally meant to be a RSD release limited to 1000 on blue vinyl, but looks like they released it early (unless it was in a first wave or something). The Miles Davis 10" is a real rarity that rarely pops up. The cover has a rip but apart from that it all looks superb!
Tom Misch & Yussef Dayes - What Kinda Music (Blue Note, 2020 VMP Exclusive Orange Vinyl)
The Jack Wilson Quartet Featuring Roy Ayers - Call Me Jazz From The Penthouse (Century 67 Records, 2020 RSD 2LP Pressing on Blue Vinyl)
Horace Tapscott With The Pan-Afrikan Peoples Arkestra And The Great Voice Of UGMAA - Live At LACMA, 1998 (Dark Tree, 2020 First Limited Pressing)
Jackie McLean - A Ghetto Lullaby (Steeplechase, 1974 First Pressing)
Cecil Taylor Unit - Dark To Themselves (Enja, 1976 First Pressing)
Thelonious Monk Quartet With John Coltrane - At Carnegie Hall (Blue Note/Mosaic, 2018 2LP Test Pressing)
Peter Ind & Bernie Cash - Contra-Bach (Wave, 1970 First Signed Pressing)
Thelonious Monk - It's Monk's Time (CBS, 1964 First UK Mono Pressing)
The Miles Davis Sextet - Blue 'N Boogie / Walkin' (Esquire, First UK 10" Pressing)
Gerry Mulligan And Thelonious Monk - Giants Meeting (Riverside, 1963 EP 7" Pressing)

View attachment 55668

Finally, a load of books that I have bought over the past 2 weeks. I tend to buy a load in one go then burn through them over the next few months. I have a big list and usually just go for the super cheap copies (most of these were a couple of quid). I also picked up some Down Beat's which have the readers poll.
Lets Get To The Nitty Gritty by Horace Silver
Sugar Free Saxophone - The Life And Music Of Jackie McLean by Derek Ansell
The House That Trane Built - The Story Of Impulse Records by Ashley Kahn
Born Under The Sign Of Jazz by Randi Hultin
Down Beat x2
Charlie Parker - Jazz Masters by Brian Priestly
Billie Holiday - Jazz Masters by Burnett James
The Penguin Guide To Jazz by Brian Morton & Richard Cook

View attachment 55670

Thanks buddy! I'll show this post to my girlfriend every time she tells me I order too many records.

LOL, He is gonna need to fire up panorama on his phone to get it all in one photo.
come on, that doenst fit into one room.
i mean in person, would be amazing to browse.
Well, something else I should have added to the 'fresh grabs' pile is a new 2x4 Kallax unit. As of yesterday, my collection is all in one room, running along one wall. In total there is 23 cubes worth of records plus 2 wine crates (the expensive stuff goes in there), with a bit of space for some more records in the future.

Well, something else I should have added to the 'fresh grabs' pile is a new 2x4 Kallax unit. As of yesterday, my collection is all in one room, running along one wall. In total there is 23 cubes worth of records plus 2 wine crates (the expensive stuff goes in there), with a bit of space for some more records in the future.
Omg, I can’t wait to see all of your records and to have a vinyl session when I meet you in London in the future! 😍

Fresh (not Super Fresh) Grabs
1F0446D1-BBB3-46EF-80B7-7F628CE82F8A.jpeg
Neil Young - Homegrown
Crowded House - Crowded House
Quasimoto - The Unseen

Iceage - You’re Nothing
1CF4C030-2C42-424C-9C5A-138B03E74EEA.jpeg
Parquet Courts - Human Performance

Parquet Courts - Sunbathing Animal
Girl Band - The Talkies
Protomartyr - The Agent Intellect
FC791CAA-179F-4133-9C06-E33841F2A711.jpeg
Spoon - Series Of Sneaks

Guided By Voices - Jellyfish Reflector
Silver Jews - Starlite Walker
Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
Stereolab - The Underground Is Coming
The White Stripes - Hello Operator/Jolene
Lots of good stuff here Lord Quas was a PIF from @dirty hands and Iceage & Silver Jews was a PIF from @jackduff13 pretty excited about these. Most of the others were picked up from my LRS over the past couple weeks though Sunbathing Animal is the colored wax picked up off their Bandcamp page. Pavement is my 3rd (and likely final) time I purchased this on wax. I have a previous low cost reissue from 2010, I actually purchased a second copy when Matador is having anniversary sale where they were giving away a slip mat and band photo with purchase. This copy is my long sought after 2007 180 gram RTI pressed Kevin Grey cut version. I have been looking for a copy of this for some time at a reasonable price and thankful someone accepted my offer of $30. The other pick ups of note were from my local record store. The Stereolab 7” was a pleasant find and the Guided By Voices was something I was not familiar with but after a bit of research determined it was a nice find also, Jellyfish Reflector is a “bootleg” live album bootleg is in quotes because what I have read GBV actually put it out themselves officially but under the guise of it being a bootleg regardless it is a rad live performance of GBV recorded in Indy in 1996 prior to the release of Under The Bushes...it’s limited to 1000 copies and have some comically shitty cover art.

Last edited:
Back