Fresh Grabs

So today I've received several new vinyl records by mail. First, two Prince albums that have been released on vinyl for the first time. His album "The Rainbow children" comes with a rainbow slipmat and on clear vinyl. I'm very excited to listen to that funky album on vinyl. 🎷📯🎺🎸The other is "One nite alone...", just Prince singing and playing solo on the piano. 🎹

IMG_20200530_162829.jpg

The next is Alec Benjamin' s new album "These two windows". I've enjoyed his former album "Narrated for you" a lot, great melodies. Let's see what his new work will be like. 🙂

IMG_20200530_162816.jpg

And finally ( @Kyuuji ) I've already received my "I wanna get funky" Albert King record!! 👑😀 I would've expected it to take much longer to arrive here from Switzerland. Very happy it has arrived so quickly. It seems they have crossed borders to Germany and have send it from within Germany. I was blown away when listening to it for the first time and needed to have it. Very excited for this album. 🎶

IMG_20200530_162147.jpg

VMP package landed - some 45 days after I signed up I've finally received my first package and my "free record". I still haven't received my first album of the month though. That shipped separately and I have no idea where it is or what I'm receiving as the swaps process was a clusterfuck.

How they managed to send 4 items without a single bumped corner or seam split is nothing short of a miracle by their standards. But anyway I've already seen that Donald Byrd has a lot of black blotches on the back cover so it looks like their printer crapped out on that one. I've asked them to replace that.

My free record was the Flaming Lips. I was not expecting the lenticular cover - that looks awesome. I wish it was actually the cover though and not an insert. I picked up Simz and Donald Byrd were from the archive sale.

IMG_20200530_202848.jpg

A non vmp but my first from the BN80 series finally arrived after getting a cheap deal on it.

IMG_20200530_202909.jpg

My Acoustic Sounds Memorial Day sale grabs.

DAMN they package well, much respect. Extra-thick cardboard mailers, bubble-wrap and cardboard inserts...if their prices are within a few dollars of other retailers, I'm going with them 10 out of 10 times because I know the records will be packed the best.

The Helen Merrill self-titled is fantastic! The Lou Takes Off is the Classic Records 200-gram mono, not the 45 rpm MMJ.

IMG_4540.jpg

I broke a personal record and went over a month without any new records. For a variety of pandemic-related reasons I can’t go to the local record store, but I was able to survive (how dramatic and privileged of me!) because a relative dumped his ex-wife’s old 45s collection on me. They ranged from Beatles to Weird Al, but the bulk of it was 70s soul/funk/disco. I had a blast going through them and am keeping at about 50:

6FAF69A8-3790-4480-9C38-153E6604061E.jpeg

Then the first AC/DC album popped up for cheap on Amazon:

AA269681-C57C-43BA-B4F4-02C900AF0864.jpeg

And then I was able to snag these at a socially-distanced moving sale (it’s a long and kinda sad story, but ultimately I was glad that these only set me back $5 a pop):

351A2486-BE2A-4248-9931-3EB271AFA69D.jpeg

B51DB46D-A8C3-406E-BD38-4B2FF1A58C06.jpeg

May Acquisitions

Ambient pickups:

Anenon - Tongue
Biosphere - Substrata
Eluvium - Copia
Fennesz - Agora
Laurie Spiegel - Unseen Worlds
Slow Dancing Society - F A N T O S M E S

20200526_025753.jpg

Shoutout again to @blissfullychaotic for playing his Anenon LPs in his run through his collection. The album covers caught my eye and felt intrigued to give it a go...glad I did. I think Tongue is the better of the two, so here it sits.
After deliberating for far too long, I finally have a personal ambient grail in my possession. Thank you to @dropsonde for alerting me to the availability of Substrata on Juno.
I didn't like it at first but after playing it on the turntable, I've had a change of heart on Copia. I might still be annoyed by the progressively shorter side lengths as the album is being run through, but the tunes are gorgeous. I unfortunately had some non-fill through the last minute and a half of the final track...luckily Temporary Residence's CS is pretty solid; a replacement is en route after sending photo proof.
Got to see Christian Fennesz in March the most recent concert (last?) I've went to this year, and also my first ambient/drone concert. He definitely likes the sounds of rushing water and droney textures/timbres, and the feeling of these textures in a live setting was quite different than I expected.
I do like Laurie Spiegel's work a lot, which led me to trying artists like Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith, Suzanne Ciani, and Terry Riley. Spiegel's Unseen Worlds (from the eponymous label) conveys a notably sinister and cavernous ambiance compared to its predecessor: the sprawling The Expanded Universe. Give this a try if you haven't, followers of ambient/drone.
While I can't say I like all of Drew Sullivan's work (I find a lot of it way too easy listening for my tastes), this is one of the better releases in his catalogue. This F A N T O S M E S project is droney and somewhat interesting...mostly bought it to support during the Bandcamp waived fee day. Might not stay in my collection long term.

Current year/yesteryear pickups:

Allie X - Cape God
Somni - Home
Black Midi - Schlagenheim
FKA Twigs - Magdalene
Kanye West - Jesus Is King

20200525_183117.jpg

Not seeing a lot of talk for Allie X's newest, particularly in the Poptarts thread, which is my introduction to her. Catchy, punchy pop magic.
Loving this Somni album, after doing some exploring on this forum. Downtempo beeps and bloops on a gorgeous translucent aquamarine pressing; sounds great too! Still very available on Bandcamp for $21 before shipping.
Black Midi has vast potential to make a massive impact in math/post/experimental rock in the new decade...such a bizarre amalgamation of haphazard sounds. This acquisition also marks finally having all of my top 10 from last year on LP.
If I had given Magdalene the attention and dedication it rightfully deserved, it probably would've been in my top 10. Shame on my part.
I can't even remember why I got this half-assed Ye "mini album," even though I got it only a month ago. What was I thinking? Ugh...

Miscellaneous pickups:

Björk - Medulla
Caribou - Our Love
The Presidents of the United States of America - The Presidents of the United States of America

20200525_183805.jpg

For some reason, it seems that Medulla has been reissued yet again this year, after giving Discogs a look. I saw this particular version at 2nd Ave Records and decided to go for it for $17. Was surprised to see that it is 45 RPM, it sounds significantly better than the other Björk records I have!
The other Caribou record was a must get for me during SoundOfVinyl's sale for ~$11 after the discount. Been listening often at work. Thank you, @Sonicpharmacist for the deals link!
At last, PUSA arrived but has 3 seam splits! 😡 Thankfully a signed jacket (seems others were not so lucky) and flat record, but hoping for a response from CS for amicable recourse.

Swiggity swoogity box set booty:

Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia [exclusive boxset]

20200526_030823.jpg

...well, I thought it'd be a boxset in appearance. It's more like a hardbound coffee table book. Contents otherwise were as described: neon yellow vinyl, stickers, temporary tattoo, print of album cover with printed thank you note + signature (front and back), and a Polaroid. Glad to have it for half off...might not have been worth full price IMO. Been obsessing on the album since its release...guaranteed to be top 10 of the year for me.

But anyway I've already seen that Donald Byrd has a lot of black blotches on the back cover so it looks like their printer crapped out on that one. I've asked them to replace that.

I've just checked mine that has arrived the other day and see something similiar. Does it look the same way for you or worse? How about others who have the "Fancy free" record? Do you have those black botches too on your back cover?

IMG_20200531_223938.jpg

I've just checked mine that has arrived the other day and see something similiar. Does it look the same way for you or worse? How about others who have the "Fancy free" record? Do you have those black botches too on your back cover?

View attachment 49860

I think my copy is the same way. Will check later and report back.

670DB263-7F76-4994-A210-B6F027E6CACB.jpeg
Acoustic Sounds Memorial Day Sale buy. Even if you only buy one or two classical titles year like me don’t shy away from this set. First class all the way. Super nice reissue packaging and repress. Legionary sound and performance. Sounds great 👍.

Shout Out to Acoustic Sounds Customer Service (ASCS) - On a side note. This set was boxed well for shipping by AS but seriously mistreated on the way. Knew there was trouble as soon as I saw the big corner dent in outer heavy cardboard shipping box. Corner of display box damaged and all six lps had made 3” seam splits in respective covers.

A couple quick txt and pics to ASCS and new replacements were on the way within a couple hours. No runaround. Fast responsive CS. 2 business days later and New Mint replacements (Display box/all covers) arrived by FedEx. Well done. Awesome 👏.

Order from Seasick Records' Memorial Day weekend sale arrived today. The Durand Jones marks my foray into Colemine Records.

View attachment 50059

View attachment 50058
The Sunny Side Up is amazing. I really hope Peterson/Brownswood continues the series by highlighting up and coming musicians from other countries as well. Such a great concept.

Good to know! I'd been looking at that one before but didn't pull the trigger at full price. Glad to have it now.
You might already be aware of it, but the precursor to this release was the 2018 'We Out Here' compilation which focuses on UK jazz musicians. Well worthy of a listen, its the creme of the crop!

Back