Fresh Grabs

Makaya McCraven - We're New Again

Gotta love Amazon. Put in a flexi mailer so obviously all bent up, and the record is super dirty with what appear to be some scratches. Going a clean will make this one better. Left out in the rain too, when the damn mailer will fit between the door and the screen. Even USPS delivery is better than these Amazon clowns.

View attachment 32170
View attachment 32171
View attachment 32172
well, they gave me a refund without returning it, so I got that going for me!

Freddie Hubbard - Red Clay
Tim Maia - Racional Vol 3
Lucy Dacus - No Burden

One way or another, I bought all these records due to this forum. Red Clay was a recommendation from my Secret Santa @dhodo alongside Straight Life, which was one of the records I got. Tim Maia was a push from @Selaws; interested to hear how good this sounds as not v clear what label this is on etc. Not really sure who's responsible for Lucy Dacus but I started getting into a while ago and this was out of stock then but just came back in.

20200211_160453.jpg

Freddie Hubbard - Red Clay
Tim Maia - Racional Vol 3
Lucy Dacus - No Burden

One way or another, I bought all these records due to this forum. Red Clay was a recommendation from my Secret Santa @dhodo alongside Straight Life, which was one of the records I got. Tim Maia was a push from @Selaws; interested to hear how good this sounds as not v clear what label this is on etc. Not really sure who's responsible for Lucy Dacus but I started getting into a while ago and this was out of stock then but just came back in.

View attachment 32446
The Racional Vol. 3 is a boot, and is one that I have been after myself (I have Vol.2). The Racional Volumes were originally on Maia's own label, Seroma. He recorded it in 1975 for the Racional Culture, the religion/cult he was part of and fell for deeply, so much so that he quit drugs/alcohol, painted all his instruments white, wore white clothes and would regularly play in fields to attract aliens. Anyway, later that year he realised that the religion was a sham after discovering that the leader had stashed away thousands of pounds which were meant as donations. Maia was so embarrassed that he had fallen for the scam that he ordered all the Racional volumes (2 were released but a third exists which was not released officially - which looks to be the one you have!) to be destroyed. Those few that were remaining have become prized possessions.

Anyway, these bootlegs are really the only chance of having them on wax (unless you get insanely lucky and find an original) but they really are not bad sounding at all.

The Racional Vol. 3 is a boot, and is one that I have been after myself (I have Vol.2). The Racional Volumes were originally on Maia's own label, Seroma. He recorded it in 1975 for the Racional Culture, the religion/cult he was part of and fell for deeply, so much so that he quit drugs/alcohol, painted all his instruments white, wore white clothes and would regularly play in fields to attract aliens. Anyway, later that year he realised that the religion was a sham after discovering that the leader had stashed away thousands of pounds which were meant as donations. Maia was so embarrassed that he had fallen for the scam that he ordered all the Racional volumes (2 were released but a third exists which was not released officially - which looks to be the one you have!) to be destroyed. Those few that were remaining have become prized possessions.

Anyway, these bootlegs are really the only chance of having them on wax (unless you get insanely lucky and find an original) but they really are not bad sounding at all.
Volume 3 sounds very good - the music is extraordinarily funky. I'd understood they were bootlegs but wondered which bootleg label was pressing them as there are quite varied reviews of Vol 1 and 2 on Discogs. This sounds good enough that I'll buy Vol 1 and 2 later this month when they're re-released (acc to Juno)

Well this was perfect timing, I bought these as a surprise for my girlfriend and they ended up arriving just before valentines day.

Jennifer Lopez - J.Lo (Epic, 2020 VMP Exclusive on Blue & Black Galaxy Vinyl)
Jennifer Lopez - On the 6 (Sony, 2020 VMP Exclusive on Brown & White Vinyl)

The quality of these packages look to be fantastic. Heavy records in what seems to be a thick textured gatefold with textured lettering.

IMG_3209.JPG

And something for myself....

John Coltrane (Jazz Masters) by Brian Priestley.
Looks to be a really interesting book with photographs. I will likely burn through this once I get around to it!

IMG_3210.JPG

My final outstanding preorder finally came in. This is all because of @Jake! and an awesome PIF from back at the old place. View attachment 32294

Looks really nice. Maybe the ultimate concept album years in the making. Screams “box set”. FOMO got me as I don’t have any of this on vinyl. I’d been watching the box on the site. I finally broke down and grabbed one after I logged on and they only had 3 left the other day. They sold out again a few min later.

Looks really nice. Maybe the ultimate concept album years in the making. Screams “box set”. FOMO got me as I don’t have any of this on vinyl. I’d been watching the box on the site. I finally broke down and grabbed one after I logged on and they only had 3 left the other day. They sold out again a few min later.
I actually have all of it except The Fox and the Hound on vinyl already. I’m debating on sending the individuals on their separate ways. If I do, Act IV is going back in the PIF here as that’s where it came from. I will say that you won’t be disappointed with the set at all. It is gorgeously put together and just wonderful to hold and to listen to. The pressings are top notch.

Back