Fresh Grabs

American Soul Music Vol 1-3

20200119_171920.jpg

Well, I thought I was doing well with my slimmed-down regime for vinyl purchases - until I walked into Honest Jon's on Saturday. I ended up with the first three parts of this amazing set of soul compilations by Mississippi/Cairo. I'd never heard of them but they're meant to be for soul what the Harry Smith compilations were for folk, and they look incredible. Guy behind the counter was kind enough to give me a free tote too...

20200119_171718.jpg

Hadn't posted my new acquisitions in long time, so I figured I'd make a video with the records that have hit my shelves during the last 2 months. Most are the last VMP packages my brother was holding for me in California, and the flamenco records are purchases from my recent trip to Southern Spain.

Enrique Morente - Negra, si tu supieras
Bob Dylan - Tempest
Tyler, the Creator - IGOR
The Roots - How I Got Over
Niño Josele - Española/Paz
Fania All Stars - Live at Yankee Stadium Vol. 1& 2
Sam Rivers - Involution
Braxton Cook - No Doubt
Dua Saleh - Nur
Camarón y Tomatito - Flamenco vivo
Fosforito - Fosforito
Willie Colón - The Hustler
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - The Freedom Rider
Yusef Lateef - Eastern Sounds
Miles Davis - Miles Smiles
Outkast - Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik
Brian Owens - Soul of Ferguson

Last edited:
A few interesting used finds.

Connexion - Third Eye (2013): German repress of the 1977 jazz fusion/spiritual/bop gem by the Netherlands jazz quartet led by Jamaican saxophonist Wilton Gaynair. I feel lucky to have found this copy in the US.

Ahmad Jamal - Outertimeinnerspace (1972): Second album of live performances by Jamal at the 1971 Montreux Jazz Festival. One song per side, each containing a long improv performance by the legendary, prolific jazz pianist and his band.

View attachment 29786

A trio of dark, arctic ambient/drone albums by German artist Thomas Köner. Clockwise from top left: Nunatak Gongamur (1990), Teimo (1992) and Permafrost (1993). These are the 2010 Type reissues of his first three albums, originally released on the Dutch label Barooni. Nunatak was recorded using only electronically controlled gongs.

View attachment 29787
That Jamal is great! Love the artwork too!

This isn’t a “fresh” grab because I ordered it back in November. I then took a few days to listen through all seven EPS and make sure none were defective. Fortunately everything is perfect, and I’m the proud owner of this Belle & Sebastian boxset:

38B53BEA-1AA0-4CF4-BA2B-F35C8859F2FF.jpeg

(Yes, yes, I know I could just have bought the Push Barman to Open Old Wounds compilation, but B&S is basically my favorite non-Beatles band and I really wanted to experience each EP as its own separate entity.)

Herbie Hancock ‎– Mr. Hands (Columbia, 2020 VMP Classics Pressing)
N*E*R*D ‎– Fly Or Die (Virgin, 2020 VMP Rap & Hip Hop Pressing)
Eric Dolphy ‎– Copenhagen Concert (Prestige, 1973 Mono Pressing)

Really looking forward to getting into the N*E*R*D, I'm completely unfamiliar with it so going in blind. I was pretty underwhelmed when the Herbie Hancock album was announced, he's one of my favourite musicians and I thought Mr. Hands was a pretty luke-warm pick really. After listening to it a few times it has certainly grown on me, although I'm still not convinced it was the best pick of his. The Eric Dolphy is an interesting one. It takes 'In Europe, Vol. 1' and 'In Europe, Vol. 3' and combines them into the double LP set, at a fraction of the price (this cost me £4).

I was expecting the Townes Van Zandt - Our Mother The Mountain replacement (VMP sent my first copy to Ireland :rolleyes:) today but looks like that might arrive tomorrow now.
IMG_2509.JPG

Herbie Hancock ‎– Mr. Hands (Columbia, 2020 VMP Classics Pressing)
N*E*R*D ‎– Fly Or Die (Virgin, 2020 VMP Rap & Hip Hop Pressing)
Eric Dolphy ‎– Copenhagen Concert (Prestige, 1973 Mono Pressing)

Really looking forward to getting into the N*E*R*D, I'm completely unfamiliar with it so going in blind. I was pretty underwhelmed when the Herbie Hancock album was announced, he's one of my favourite musicians and I thought Mr. Hands was a pretty luke-warm pick really. After listening to it a few times it has certainly grown on me, although I'm still not convinced it was the best pick of his. The Eric Dolphy is an interesting one. It takes 'In Europe, Vol. 1' and 'In Europe, Vol. 3' and combines them into the double LP set, at a fraction of the price (this cost me £4).

I was expecting the Townes Van Zandt - Our Mother The Mountain replacement (VMP sent my first copy to Ireland :rolleyes:) today but looks like that might arrive tomorrow now.
View attachment 30009
To ireland 😂😂 I better not have it arrive I'm waiting on NERD 😮

Fresh grabs from Japan

Found the Knives out single OP for around $10 USD along with the Bille Eilish.
Fly or Die by Jaime Branch was on my wantlist for a while, grabbed it cheap under $20
Couldn't leave Japan without that Nujabes🖤 now to wait for Modal Soul and Second Collection.

Both the top and bottom left are albums I haven't heard of, but the gappy listened to a few tracks and liked it, was also cheap, so couldn't pass it up. The other one is called Macumba Quebrada by Daniel Maunick, if anyone has heard it before, let me know if you like it.

IMG_20200120_180611.jpg

Last edited:
EABS - Repetitions (live)
Tim Maia - Nobody Can Live Forever

The EABS is something of a whale, or at least a tale of frustrations. I love this album and have searched for it for ages. I finally got in touch with their A&R guy who had one copy in London. Not really sure what happened but he sent me Cykada (which @Mather ended up with) rather than this, which went somewhere else. After months of searching I found it in Poland, and my kind colleague in Warsaw bought it for me and gave it to me in London last week. It's as good as I hoped.

Plus, this compilation of Tim Maia inspired by a post a while ago by @Selaws. I don't have that much Brazilian music as it hasn't always clicked with me, but on spending more time with Tim Maia I really like a lot of his stuff (and have some more now coming from Mr Bongo!) Not sure who I was kidding with cutting down on purchases after two good weeks I've regressed. Oh well...

20200121_143531.jpg

Plus, this compilation of Tim Maia inspired by a post a while ago by @Selaws. I don't have that much Brazilian music as it hasn't always clicked with me, but on spending more time with Tim Maia I really like a lot of his stuff (and have some more now coming from Mr Bongo!) Not sure who I was kidding with cutting down on purchases after two good weeks I've regressed. Oh well...

View attachment 30058

Oh man thats a lot of pressure, hope you enjoy it........ 🤣

Oh man thats a lot of pressure, hope you enjoy it........ 🤣
Don't worry - I checked it out before buying! And I love it. Just added the bit about Brazilian music as I'm a bit non-plussed as to why it doesn't click. I love Colombian, Caribbean, Panamanian, pretty much all African music. I wondered if it was the language but I really like Cabo Verde music. But I'm learning to like Brazilian music album by album. I got into Arthur Verocai and Africa Brasil several years ago but it's been slow progress since then. If I fully commit now, I'm blaming you totally :p

The EABS is something of a whale, or at least a tale of frustrations. I love this album and have searched for it for ages. I finally got in touch with their A&R guy who had one copy in London. Not really sure what happened but he sent me Cykada (which @Mather ended up with) rather than this, which went somewhere else. After months of searching I found it in Poland, and my kind colleague in Warsaw bought it for me and gave it to me in London last week. It's as good as I hoped.

View attachment 30058
I personally love the Tim Maia compilation from the great guys at Luaka Bop and I'm a bit jealous as I only have it on CD.
These are the same guys that discovered the hidden genius of William Onyeabor.

they also have a great boxset on Brazilian music (title Brazil classic 1, 2, 3) compiled by David Byrne.
it was my gateway to Africa Brasil and it's a great intro to different genres on the vaste landscape of Brazilian music.
(and it's quite easily available and relatively good value)

Don't worry - I checked it out before buying! And I love it. Just added the bit about Brazilian music as I'm a bit non-plussed as to why it doesn't click. I love Colombian, Caribbean, Panamanian, pretty much all African music. I wondered if it was the language but I really like Cabo Verde music. But I'm learning to like Brazilian music album by album. I got into Arthur Verocai and Africa Brasil several years ago but it's been slow progress since then. If I fully commit now, I'm blaming you totally :p
🤣

Its very much another rabbit hole! I'm not quite there yet but still find some artists really fantastic (I also have the Verocai release and love it) but Maia is the one I keep gravitating back to. His story is insane as well, I thoroughly recommend reading up on his time with the Racional cult.....its insane (google it and if your intrigued the 33 1/3 book series has a fantastic volume on his 2 Racional album - written by Allen Thayer). Im also in the fantastic position where my brothers girlfriend is from São Paulo and I usually managed to persuade them to pick up a few records for me when they visit.

I personally love the Tim Maia compilation from the great guys at Luaka Bop and I'm a bit jealous as I only have it on CD.
These are the same guys that discovered the hidden genius of William Onyeabor.

they also have a great boxset on Brazilian music (title Brazil classic 1, 2, 3) compiled by David Byrne.
it was my gateway to Africa Brasil and it's a great intro to different genres on the vaste landscape of Brazilian music.
(and it's quite easily available and relatively good value)
Oh man, dont even get me started on Onyeabor. That guy is just pure amazingness. I ended up falling down that rabbit hole a while back, bought the Luaka Bop comp.....then the box set......then as many OG pressings as I could get my hands on. Hes a fantastic one to play at parties, you cant help but love it.

🤣

Its very much another rabbit hole! I'm not quite there yet but still find some artists really fantastic (I also have the Verocai release and love it) but Maia is the one I keep gravitating back to. His story is insane as well, I thoroughly recommend reading up on his time with the Racional cult.....its insane (google it and if your intrigued the 33 1/3 book series has a fantastic volume on his 2 Racional album - written by Allen Thayer). Im also in the fantastic position where my brothers girlfriend is from São Paulo and I usually managed to persuade them to pick up a few records for me when they visit.

I should convince my brother to date a Japanese.

Back