Fresh Grabs

One of my best hauls of the year and it finally arrived. This has been at my local depot for just over 2 weeks now. Parcelforce wouldn't let me pick it up in person before it had a delivery attempt....but also wouldn't attempt to deliver. Luckily they passed it over to Royal Mail who knocked on my door to deliver and wish me a Merry Christmas at 7am this morning! So, here we go:

Red Garland - Red In Bluesville (Prestige, 1959 First Mono Pressing, Deep Groove)
The Billboard review at the time cracks me up, 'Red Garland presents attractive blues piano....Good wax for those who like blues and Garland'.
The Ray Draper Quintet Featuring John Coltrane (New Jazz, 1958 First Mono Pressing, Deep Groove)
This is the killer pick up, an amazing second album by Ray Draper, with John Coltrane. This album was really well received at the time and all eyes were on Draper, unfortunately, he became heavily addicted to drugs and later died at 42 when a 13-year old gang leader shot him.
Sonny Rollins - The Bridge (RCA Victor, 1962 First Mono Pressing, Deep Groove)
After releasing some big hits, Rollins took a break to remove himself from the limelight. He found a hidden raised platform on the Williamsburg Bridge and would play there for hours, battling the wind. He then released this record, naming it after his secret spot.
Sonny Rollins - East Broadway Run Down (Impulse!, 1966 First Stereo Pressing)
View attachment 26720

Pharoah Sanders - Black Unity (Impulse!, 1972 First Stereo Pressing)
Miles Davis ‎– E.S.P. (Columbia, 1967 First Stereo Pressing)

Such a killer line up on this one, which was Davis' second quintet. With Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter & Tony Williams.
Lee Morgan - Caramba (Blue Note, 1968 First Stereo Pressing)
Well on the way to completing the Morgan discography as lead. This is a fantastic session!
View attachment 26721

Bleeding Gums Murphy from The Simpsons was based off of Sonny Rollins. His first appearance Lisa finds him playing on a bridge.

So I got a notice this week that an incoming album was "received damaged by Canada Post". And you know when the POST OFFICE has managed to notice damage that the item must be well and truly f*cked. Run over several times, set on fire, shot out of a cannon, crushed by angry bear, crushed by amorous bear... something along those lines. I was essentially prepared for my mailman to meet me at the door and just pour a handful of ashes onto my front stoop and just shrug his shoulders.

So imagine my surprise and amazement when I was greeted by this:

20191218_120246.jpg
ASSAULT BY OLIVE OIL!

I mean talk about a best case scenario, and through some absolute stroke of genius the oil was facing the bottom of the outer sleeve rather than the opening so...
20191218_122834.jpg
IT'S A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE YOU GUYS

Last edited:
So I got a notice this week that an incoming album was "received damaged by Canada Post". And you know when the POST OFFICE has managed to notice damage that the item must be well and truly f*cked. Run over several times, set on fire, shot out of a cannon, crushed by angry bear, crushed by amorous bear... something along those lines. I was essentially prepared for my mailman to meet me at the door and just pour a handful of ashes onto my front stoop and just shrug his shoulders.

So imagine my surprise and amazement when I was greeted by this:
View attachment 26847
ASSAULT BY OLIVE OIL!
I mean talk about a best case scenario, and through some absolute stroke of genius the oil was facing the bottom of the outer sleeve rather than the opening so...
View attachment 26848
IT'S A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE YOU GUYS
Wow lucky 🙌🏼
What is this Billie Eilish release?

Wow lucky 🙌🏼
What is this Billie Eilish release?
It's her live set at Third Man Records, they recorded it direct to acetate and released very limited quantities only sold in their two stores in Detroit and Nashville. There's also a paint splattered version that she "painted" herself by basically throwing paint and walking all over the jackets covered in paint. There's only about 180 of those are they were nearly impossible to get.

It's her live set at Third Man Records, they recorded it direct to acetate and released very limited quantities only sold in their two stores in Detroit and Nashville. There's also a paint splattered version that she "painted" herself by basically throwing paint and walking all over the jackets covered in paint. There's only about 180 of those are they were nearly impossible to get.
That sounds awesome. I wish I could get my hands on one of those. Let me know how it sounds. Fitting that it arrived today intact on her 18th birthday

Gone to my parents for Christmas and my brother and his girlfriend got me a few records and a book for Christmas. His girlfriend is Brazilian and they picked these up when they were last there.

1001 albums to hear before you die (Book by Robert Dimery)
Os Maiores Sucessos De Toquinho E Vinicius (Barclay, 1985 'Greatest Hits Comp')
Milton Nascimento - S/T (Som Livre, 1999 Comp)
Tom Jobim - Nova História Da Música Popular Brasileira (Abril Cultural, 1977 10" Gatefold with book)

The Tom Jobim seems especially up my street (features Joao Gilberto, Sant Getz, etc) but im looking forward to listening to all of them!

IMG_1342.JPG

And the other fresh grab...

I came home yesterday to find a package on my doorstep. I wasn't expecting anything and I knew I didn't have anything set to be delivered that day so it was truly a surprise to see a hand addressed vinyl mailer sitting on my porch.

I gathered it up and went inside and carefully opened the package. And inside was this:
20191218_122749.jpg
That's the VMP pressing of Flylo Pattern+Grid World. It's the only Flylo exclusive I don't have. I was alerted to a sales listing for it on here a couple weeks ago by @Crabbers. I thanked him but explained with exchange and shipping costs I just couldn't do it right now as I am rather low on funds. Well as it turns out Santa Crabbers had other ideas and went out of his merry way to not only obtain the record, but ship it to me in secret. I'm so immensely grateful for his generosity and am once again just floored by how wonderful he and all the people in this community are. Honestly, you people are the best people. I tell friends all the time about the gestures of kindness that members on here do for each other and they are always absolutely floored by it because THIS SORT OF THING DOESN'T HAPPEN ON THE INTERNET.

So thank you @Crabbers for the wonderful gift and thank all of you for being you and being a part of this unique and special community.

Happy holidays y'all ❤

Last edited:

I came home yesterday to find a package on my doorstep. I wasn't expecting anything and I knew I didn't have anything set to be delivered that day so it was truly a surprise to see a hand addressed vinyl mailer sitting on my porch.

I gathered it up and went inside and carefully opened the package. And inside was this:
View attachment 26850
That's the VMP pressing of Flylo Pattern/Grid World. It's the only Flylo exclusive I don't have. I was alerted to a sales listing for it on here a couple weeks ago by @Crabbers. I thanked him but explained with exchange and shipping costs I just couldn't do it right now as I am rather low on funds. Well as it turns out Santa Crabbers had other ideas and went out of his merry way to not only obtain the record, but ship it to me in secret. I'm so immensely grateful for his generosity and am once again just floored by how wonderful he and all the people in this community are. Honestly, you people are the best people. I tell friends all the time about the gestures of kindness that members on here do for each other and they are always absolutely floored by it because THIS SORT OF THING DOESN'T HAPPEN ON THE INTERNET.

So thank you @Crabbers for the wonderful gift and thank all of you for being you and being a part of this unique and special community.

Happy holidays y'all ❤
That @Crabbers is a good egg ;)

This made me giggle because it applies to existing collections for many, lol
EDIT: (Adjusted original comment because my idiotic sarcasm was not coming through as intended...)

Wait... You're not suggesting that I actually LISTEN to all of these records that I've purchased and are now taking up a large portion of my living space, are you?

Last edited:

View attachment 26850
That's the VMP pressing of Flylo Pattern/Grid World. It's the only Flylo exclusive I don't have. I was alerted to a sales listing for it on here a couple weeks ago by @Crabbers. I thanked him but explained with exchange and shipping costs I just couldn't do it right now as I am rather low on funds. Well as it turns out Santa Crabbers had other ideas and went out of his merry way to not only obtain the record, but ship it to me in secret. I'm so immensely grateful for his generosity and am once again just floored by how wonderful he and all the people in this community are. Honestly, you people are the best people. I tell friends all the time about the gestures of kindness that members on here do for each other and they are always absolutely floored by it because THIS SORT OF THING DOESN'T HAPPEN ON THE INTERNET.

Happy holidays y'all ❤

Incredible! Just another thing that proves @Crabbers is one of the best :)

Back