Fresh Grabs

Wow, I’ve been very bad over the past two months or so—both at sharing my fresh grabs (I think my last post here was Khemmis), and also at adhering to my budget! I guess that’s what stress and cross-country road trips will do to you. Where to start?

0561E1D5-6947-4B18-8667-18748F1381C8.jpeg

This Jobim is a bit cheesy but was a $1 yard sale find. And after seeing B&S perform this album in full, I felt the need to plug that hole in my collection.

6E31ABA6-FC42-4CD9-B41D-A4E3A78A97CC.jpeg

Last month I traded some of my more-valuable VMP albums that were just collecting dust. I got these in return (3/4 of which I already owned on CD in one way or another). The Pallas pressing of Nevemind is indeed nice. The 2013 mix of In Utero drives me a bit crazy (changing the solo in “Serve the Servants” and robbing “Dumb” of most of its cello were puzzling choices), but it has some nice moments (“Very Ape”!).

1E04B705-D77C-4C0B-A281-2130F7B34355.jpeg

The last 3 VMP deliveries, plus Nicole—y’all know Nicole.

44F1FE30-5531-4AF2-95A6-42941F872173.jpeg

Cheap grabs at the local library’s media sale ($0.50 each, including the 3xLP Billie Holiday boxset in NM condition that came with a nice, thick booklet). The Earl Hines on the bottom right is excellent.

C544F85D-C093-4BC2-9200-16148D8B4EFE.jpeg

Grabbed all of these from record stores in Arizona (Phoenix and Tucson). Excited to finally have that Type O Negative, even though I need my wife and kid to be far, far away before I can blast it!

FED29C6B-5E85-4FFF-90D8-189B0FDA32F2.jpeg

Last week’s grabs from my local. Get Up With It is freaking great.

Last edited:
Warfaring Strangers - Acid Nightmares Numero group 068
Orange Sunshine double LP, limited to 300 copies
1571138912251.png
The package is incredible!
Gatefold, with embossed print, translucent colors.
24 pages booklet on high quality paper.

and thank you to amazon.co.uk.... the pricing error (13GBP vs the standard 29+ GBP) makes it all the sweeter!

Any day with a delivery from Superfly Records in Paris is a great day, but particularly excited about this one. The pièce de résistance is the beat up one on the left. It's one of Poly-Rythmo's rarest releases - no real title just known by the label name Echos Sonores de Benin. The vinyl condition isn't great but I've seen this go for hundreds on Ebay, sometimes without any cover. Then there's Camayenne Sofa, which is lovely music from Guinea; further proof that coloured vinyl isn't recent but even made 70s Africa with the wonderful Gnnonas Pedro; and a Poly-Rythmo 7 that I already have but bought cheap to get the cover (pretty rare with African OG singles). It's raining in Oslo a lot but this afternoon is going to be sunny...

20191015_135946.jpg

cross posting from the Vinyl Club thread
the October delivery from the Dublin Loves Vinyl Record club is in the house!
1571144499518.png

choice of the month was Blondie, with Metallica as the free bonus album (for the september delays)
The standard bonus album is an EP by the Irish DJ Kormak
and the club EP is a surprise collection of covers sung by a bunch of very well known Irish artists: Lisa Hannigan James Vincent McMorrow, Cathy Davey, Neil Hannon and a bunch of others. it's the annual new year mixtape and I know I'll be playing at my own mini new year party!

cross posting from the Vinyl Club thread
the October delivery from the Dublin Loves Vinyl Record club is in the house!
1571144499518.png

choice of the month was Blondie, with Metallica as the free bonus album (for the september delays)
The standard bonus album is an EP by the Irish DJ Kormak
and the club EP is a surprise collection of covers sung by a bunch of very well known Irish artists: Lisa Hannigan James Vincent McMorrow, Cathy Davey, Neil Hannon and a bunch of others. it's the annual new year mixtape and I know I'll be playing at my own mini new year party!

I love Lisa Hannigan, she’s so talented. I was very nearly going to chose her album Passenger as my N&G AOTM but availability in America seemed patchy so I went for something else instead.

@ThePakoBuelna you can add Lisa Hannigan - Passenger to the "it's not" list :)

haha! I had a pool of 5 different albums that I was picking from and this was indeed one of them. Halfway through the month i may, in true bullseye fashion, do a “here’s what you could have won” feature haha!

I’ve also got to stop talking, I’m giving too much away and it’s still a fortnight until my thread starts...

Last edited:
How did you get that McCraven already? Is that the marbled 3 LP?

Ordered from Bandcamp. Important release that I have been waiting for repress.

Been having lots of trouble with shipping damage this year in general so I bought one black and one marbled. Figured if one got damaged I would play the best sounding and keep the other for backup in undamaged cover.

No joy. I covered the damage in my original pic but box was crushed on two corners. Both covers creased, dented corners, and minor split seams. Not trashed but damaged for sure. I was bummed.

Good news is International Anthem responded to my email in about ten minutes. Super fast. I sent pictures. They are sending me two new covers at no chg. They also offered to send me new covers for any other titles damaged so I had two others with large seam splits they are replacing. Great customer service assuming the covers show up but I have high confidence they are on the way.

Have not cleaned and played them yet but it looks nice.

F5F7FFDA-3791-4B1C-B8E8-783C0B539E15.jpeg

Back