Fresh Grabs

Sooooooooooooooooo, here we go. Today is the Independant Label Market in Paris. TBH, I am more excited with this ILM than I am with RSD, there are always great exclusives, signed and unexpected records to be found there and not a lot of people compared to RSD. I arrived 5 minutes before they opened the doors, we were maybe ten people waiting outside. Last year my best finds were both National records with their Live in Brussels and Sleep Well Beast Forrest Hill Green variant and Willie Nelson Live at Teatro RSD exclusive on gold vinyls.

This year I had in hands, but left them, the last Arctic Monkeys limited on gold vinyl, new Blood Orange mixtape both picture disc, pink or white variants, a lot of Khruangbin's Con Todo El Mundo VMP variant, etc... Below are my finds, I spent quite a lot of money but have no regrets! These Mr Bongo's reissue were on sale at 15€, cheaper than everywhere else and I like the idea that I am giving my money directly to the artists and/or labels. I am a bit disappointed as Brownswood were supposed to be here but they may have cancelled at the last minute (which is good for my wallet actually) :

The Cinematic Orchestra - Late Night Tales (Ltd collectors edition half speed remastered)
Agnes Obel - Late Night Tales
Khruangbin - Hasta El Cielo (Ldt UK edition 42/1000)
Khruangbin ‎– 全てが君に微笑む

1570279523293.png

Melody's Echo Chamber ‎– Melody's Echo Chamber (Ltd Neon Pink variant)
Durand Jones & The Indications ‎– Durand Jones & The Indications (2018 standard reissue)
Guts ‎– Straight From The Decks
Various ‎– Heavenly Ethiopiques, Best Of Ethiopiques Series

1570280396637.png

Cymande ‎– Promised Heights
Cymande ‎– Second Time Round
Spaceark ‎– Spaceark Is
Spaceark ‎– Spaceark

1570280456629.png

Minoru Muraoka ‎– Bamboo
Hozan Yamamoto With Sharps & Flats ‎– Beautiful Bamboo-Flute
Nico Gomez And His Afro Percussion Inc. ‎– Ritual
Akofa Akoussah ‎– Akofa Akoussah

1570280474980.png

The Sylvers ‎– The Sylvers
Jungle Brown ‎– Full Circle
Skull Snaps ‎– Skull Snaps
Power Of Zeus ‎– The Gospel According To Zeus

1570280493822.png

Toquinho ‎– Toquinho
The Incredible Bongo Band ‎– The Return Of The Incredible Bongo Band
Ezra Collective ‎– You Can't Steal My Joy (Ltd Indie variant on white vinyl)
Sault ‎– 5 (repress <<< this is highly recommened and is already going for crazy prices online)

1570280522644.png

Sooooooooooooooooo, here we go. Today is the Independant Label Market in Paris. TBH, I am more excited with this ILM than I am with RSD, there are always great exclusives, signed and unexpected records to be found there and not a lot of people compared to RSD. I arrived 5 minutes before they opened the doors, we were maybe ten people waiting outside. Last year my best finds were both National records with their Live in Brussels and Sleep Well Beast Forrest Hill Green variant and Willie Nelson Live at Teatro RSD exclusive on gold vinyls.

This year I had in hands, but left them, the last Arctic Monkeys limited on gold vinyl, new Blood Orange mixtape both picture disc, pink or white variants, a lot of Khruangbin's Con Todo El Mundo VMP variant, etc... Below are my finds, I spent quite a lot of money but have no regrets! These Mr Bongo's reissue were on sale at 15€, cheaper than everywhere else and I like the idea that I am giving my money directly to the artists and/or labels. I am a bit disappointed as Brownswood were supposed to be here but they may have cancelled at the last minute (which is good for my wallet actually) :

The Cinematic Orchestra - Late Night Tales (Ltd collectors edition half speed remastered)
Khruangbin ‎– 全てが君に微笑む

View attachment 18974

Durand Jones & The Indications ‎– Durand Jones & The Indications (2018 standard reissue)

View attachment 18976

Spaceark ‎– Spaceark Is
Spaceark ‎– Spaceark

View attachment 18977

Minoru Muraoka ‎– Bamboo

View attachment 18978

View attachment 18979

Toquinho ‎– Toquinho
Sault ‎– 5 (repress <<< this is highly recommened and is already going for crazy prices online)

View attachment 18980
Those Late Night Tales comps are my favorite comp series ever. That’s the one vinyl series I am trying to be completionist about. I’m up to 15 right now. And awesome that they had the Japanese Khruangbin! Love that record too. So many nice grabs—I’m jealous!

Those Late Night Tales comps are my favorite comp series ever. That’s the one vinyl series I am trying to be completionist about. I’m up to 15 right now. And awesome that they had the Japanese Khruangbin! Love that record too. So many nice grabs—I’m jealous!

Exactly what I told him about the Japanese Khruangbin. I almost bought the record from Amazon.jp a couple of weeks ago so you can imagine how happy I was to see this this morning at only 20€!

Exactly what I told him about the Japanese Khruangbin. I almost bought the record from Amazon.jp a couple of weeks ago so you can imagine how happy I was to see this this morning at only 20€!
Jealous! I preordered it from amazon.jp a long time ago. Paid way more than 20€ haha but it was still worth it!

Khruangbin ‎– 全てが君に微笑む

View attachment 18974

View attachment 18976

Spaceark ‎– Spaceark Is
Spaceark ‎– Spaceark

View attachment 18977

Minoru Muraoka ‎– Bamboo

View attachment 18978

View attachment 18979

Toquinho ‎– Toquinho

View attachment 18980

Im so obsessed with that Sault record!

You Bastards got me...
AD14E76A-6E2F-4260-9369-51B62F2BA6D1.jpeg
Makaya McCraven - Universal Being
Makaya McCraven - Where We Come From
Joe Armon-Jones - Turn Clear View

I hadn’t heard of Makaya McCraven prior to a post on the N&G Pre-Order Thread for the upcoming deluxe reissue of In The Moment but after giving that a listen (and subsequent purchase) I was enamored. I dug through his other releases and found them all to be equally brilliant. I’ve seen the new Joe Armon-Jones album pop up frequently on this thread. Another artist I was unfamiliar with prior but have really enjoyed (you all have quite good taste ;)).

[Side Note: In reading up on McCravens work I was happy to learn Armon-Jones along with Joel Ross and Kamaal Williams were apart of the ensemble for these recordings].

As is usually the case, after becoming infatuated I immediately traveled to my local record store (Shout out to Hi-Voltage Records!) and thankfully they had all three albums in stock.

You Bastards got me...
View attachment 19054
Makaya McCraven - Universal Being
Makaya McCraven - Where We Come From
Joe Armon-Jones - Turn Clear View

I hadn’t heard of Makaya McCraven prior to a post on the N&G Pre-Order Thread for the upcoming deluxe reissue of In The Moment but after giving that a listen (and subsequent purchase) I was enamored. I dug through his other releases and found them all to be equally brilliant. I’ve seen the new Joe Armon-Jones album pop up frequently on this thread. Another artist I was unfamiliar with prior but have really enjoyed (you all have quite good taste ;)).

[Side Note: In reading up on McCravens work I was happy to learn Armon-Jones along with Joel Ross and Kamaal Williams were apart of the ensemble for these recordings].

As is usually the case, after becoming infatuated I immediately traveled to my local record store (Shout out to Hi-Voltage Records!) and thankfully they had all three albums in stock.
Fantastic stuff. Welcome to the rabbit hole 😂

Alright guys, long time no see. Coming out of a long and deep depression. And have massively cut back on buying vinyl, and am getting rid of anything that isn't from New Orleans (along with occasionally picking up some New Orleans stuff I am missing). Don't know how many files will fit in these posts now-a-days so it might take up a few posts, and apologies if I may have posted these before I went AWOL, but I think they will all be new to you.

So first up we got a Bobby Marchan - Bobby's Back (1994, Manicure Records - TEST PRESS) I swore I owned all the Manicure stuff and then randomly a couple weeks ago some guy added this Bobby's Back album on Discogs...then 2 days later I am digging and find the fucking test pressing...so wild.
marchan test.jpg

Continuing the Manicure Records thread, I already owned the 12'' picture cover of this with an extra track, but the completionist in me had to have it. Bobby Marchan - Strokin (1992, Manicure Records)
manicure.JPG

Next up we have an amazing track from the classic New Orleans label Hep Me. Only time I've ever seen them use this label variation, probably due to it being one of the latest Hep-Me records to come out. Senator Jones was Head-Producer & Owner of Hep Me and created and discovered an insane amount of amazing musicians, but this particular one is him himself under the pseudonym Uncle Bo-Bo - Did You Sleep With Mary / Catfish Pond (Hep-Me, 1998) (Catfish Pond is the one though, almost so bad it's amazing.)
catfish.jpg

Really amazing 7'' right here, hard as fuck to find and me and a buddy of mine ran in to two of them for a total of $9! And what a cover!
Timothea - Mardi Gras Party (1984, Grand Marshal Records)
mardi gras.jpg

Another really obscure NOLA record I ran into features an amazing list of musicians including guitarist for The Meters Leo Nocentelli & the entire Horn Section from Chocolate MIlk! The Ambassadors - Hold Up The Banner! (Powerhouse Records - 1981)
Ambassadors.jpg

Good buddy of mine, and owner of Nola Mix Record store in New Orleans & the Superjock Record label, got in touch with the old owner of Charlot Records and was able to put out the first official vinyl release of the very first Bounce track ever recorded and release in 1991. He also interviewed him on his new podcast called 'The People Say' which I hope to be on soon! Originally a tape only release (any of which will cost you $100's of not $1000's). MC T Tucker & DJ Irv - Where Dey At? (Superjock Records) (I am currently very close to getting an original Red Tape version, even got to hold it the other day!)
dey at.JPG

So this one might be my favorite new Hip Hop release out of New Orleans in 2019. Only 4 tracks, but holy shit it's amazing. Produced completely by AF The Naysayer and each track features a fairly underground rapper (or at least I didn't recognize the names, but they all kill it.)
AF The Naysayer - PARTS: Act 1 (2019, Sinking City Records)
af.jpg

Fiend is back baby...still haven't listened to it in full, but had to keep the Fiend discography complete.
Fiend - Still Cookin' (2019, X-Ray Records)
fiend.jpg

One more post coming, less music focused, @Enaz Fox this is the really good list.

Last edited:
Can't remember if I showed you guys this stack of absolute grails I got before I went AWOL but here they are.

First one is one of the all time rarest pieces of NOLA rap vinyl in the world, and I have a signed sleeve to put it in!
Full Pack - 9 Cuts Deep (1991, Pack Records)
9 cuts deep.JPG

Completed my Da Sha Ra collection, this one was tough to track down. Female Bounce legend.
Da' Sha Ra' - Still Bootin' Up (1995, Take Fo Records)
da sa.JPG

Never thought I'd own this, Lil Slim's first ever release and the song that got him signed. Without him we'd have no Lil Wayne (who was his neighbor, and the guy to first really start bringing Wayne around. Wayne original got his 'Lil' from Lil Slim, and before that went by Shrimp Daddy in homage to Pimp Daddy.
Lil Slim - Bounce Slide Ride (1993 - Cash Money Records)
slim.JPG

Found a double of this extremely hard to find and top notch early Cash Money Release.
PxMxWx - High Life Sampler ( 1994, Cash Money)
pmw.JPG

Since I missed out on the extremely limited and expensive overseas reissue and I already had the original tape and vinyl sampler I decided I at least needed to get the original CD. One of the best G-Funk albums to come out the Westbank of New Orleans.
G-Slimm - Fours, Deuces & Trays
g slimm cd.jpg

Fairly hard to find CD from Choppa & Hot Boy Ronald. For $1 couldn't pass it up.
Choppa & Hot Boy Ronald - It Is What It Is (2006, True Champ Enterprise)
choppa ronald.jpg

Finished off the Gorillaz DVD Collection by finally scoring a copy of 'Bananaz'. All I really need now to be happy is a copy of the 'Rise of the Ogre' book, and a vinyl copy of 'Laika Come Home'.
gorillaz.jpg

Last edited:
VHS Copy of Time Bandits!
Time Bandits.jpg

VHS Bootleg of Grateful Dead - Deadahead 1981 Radio City
Deadahead Boot.jpg

New free Casiotone - MT 36 to go with my ever growing vintage Casio and beat making station.
Keys.jpg

Birdman Promo Material for #1 Stunna
bird.jpg

The Official New Orleans Rhythm & Blues - Cassette
nola rb tape.jpg

Special surprise...If anyone needs a copy of Tank & The Bangas - Think Tank (Retro Blue Haze Vinyl - Feedbands) - I can get them at a much fairer price then anything on discogs including PJ Morton stuff if your into him.
think tank.JPG

They were doing road construction and I couldn't help myself, I saw they had a whole stack of new ones and these things are historic so yeah, it will soon be a table. Original New Orleans Water Meter Lid
water meter.JPG

And last but not least... @Teeeee I think you will really like this story...I was dropping record off at post office, which just so happens to be across from a veterinarian. Saw this really sweet pup walking around and thought he must have gotten away from them, so I took him over there and they said he wasn't there and then check him for a chip...which he did have...but it was not registered...So after spending the day with him I absolutely fell in love and since I found him the same day that I purchased my tickets to the final Morgus The Magnificent Event (old local access New Orleans TV Show) I decided to name him after Morgus' assistant, Chopslee. (Also a friend of mines DJ name). But yeah I even got him a sweet Skull collar to represent the talking skull computer from the show name E.R.I.C. He's the sweetest boy I could have ever asked for.
Pup.JPG

Oh & @Teeeee @EmeryRK @Heath @Delta Don GET TIX TO THE MORGUS EVENT AT ORPHEUM THIS WEEKEND. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME HE'S COMING OUT IN OVER 10 YEARS, HE'S 89, A NEW ORLEANS LEGEND, AND THIS COULD BE THE LAST CHANCE YOU'LL EVER GET TO SEE HIM. ------ I also just depressingly found out there is one last Morgus vinyl that is extremely obscure while this whole tIme I thought I had them all :(

VHS Copy of Time Bandits!
View attachment 19094

VHS Bootleg of Grateful Dead - Deadahead 1981 Radio City
View attachment 19095

New free Casiotone - MT 36 to go with my ever growing vintage Casio and beat making station.
View attachment 19096

Birdman Promo Material for #1 Stunna
View attachment 19098

The Official New Orleans Rhythm & Blues - Cassette
View attachment 19099

Special surprise...If anyone needs a copy of Tank & The Bangas - Think Tank (Retro Blue Haze Vinyl - Feedbands) - I can get them at a much fairer price then anything on discogs including PJ Morton stuff if your into him.
View attachment 19100

They were doing road construction and I couldn't help myself, I saw they had a whole stack of new ones and these things are historic so yeah, it will soon be a table. Original New Orleans Water Meter Lid
View attachment 19101

And last but not least... @Teeeee I think you will really like this story...I was dropping record off at post office, which just so happens to be across from a veterinarian. Saw this really sweet pup walking around and thought he must have gotten away from them, so I took him over there and they said he wasn't there and then check him for a chip...which he did have...but it was not registered...So after spending the day with him I absolutely fell in love and since I found him the same day that I purchased my tickets to the final Morgus The Magnificent Event (old local access New Orleans TV Show) I decided to name him after Morgus' assistant, Chopslee. (Also a friend of mines DJ name). But yeah I even got him a sweet Skull collar to represent the talking skull computer from the show name E.R.I.C. He's the sweetest boy I could have ever asked for.
View attachment 19102

Oh & @Teeeee @EmeryRK @Heath @Delta Don GET TIX TO THE MORGUS EVENT AT ORPHEUM THIS WEEKEND. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME HE'S COMING OUT IN OVER 10 YEARS, HE'S 89, A NEW ORLEANS LEGEND, AND THIS COULD BE THE LAST CHANCE YOU'LL EVER GET TO SEE HIM. ------ I also just depressingly found out there is one last Morgus vinyl that is extremely obscure while this whole tIme I thought I had them all :(
I would love to have one of those water meter lids. I mean, I know I could just easily grab one off the street but, that’s really cool.

Congrats on the puppers! He looks lovely.

I wish I was in town for it. I am working out of town but, let us know how it is. :(

I would love to have one of those water meter lids. I mean, I know I could just easily grab one off the street but, that’s really cool.

Congrats on the puppers! He looks lovely.

I wish I was in town for it. I am working out of town but, let us know how it is. :(
I'll try and grab you one if I see another good opportunity. Did you see the list of records I posted on the previous page? Those are my newest buys..such good music in there.

Cannot believe I found that Bobby Marchan test press. For those not familiar with his history he was a soul singer in the eary 50-80's and then in the late 80's started to source local New Orleans hip-hop talent, most notable Warren Mayes. He would do what he called 'Gong Shows' 5 nights a week each at a different club in a different area of the city, and if the crowd didn't like you, you got gonged and had to leave the stage. This is where Mystikal started, TT Tucker, Juvenile, Warren Mayes and many if not most of the famous New Orleans rappers. He gave Cash Money one of their first advances, and after Juvenile 'Ha' went big in '91, Marchan passed away and Cash Money footed the $12,000 funeral bill. Also a famous cross-dresser!

Last edited:
Back