Fresh Grabs

Another African haul. Top of the shop is Thomas Frimpong - an awesome record - but also Fela Kuti, the wonderful African Brothers Band and Opambuo, Les Volcans from Benin with Lemed Janvier, and a couple of freebies (perhaps given because the eBay seller forgot one of the LPs I bought!) The Fela isn't in great condition but the rest are.

View attachment 18621

Aye Yi hits hard! Wish I'll land a copy someday.

So this is just an amazing find personally. A while back @Skalap (being a bad influence on my wallet) got me hooked on the Superfly Records series. Forgotten and rare jazz/funk/world music reissued in limited (1000) quantities. Once its gone, its gone. This has made picking up the past releases especially tricky. One of the most sought after, and most expensive releases is Minoru Muraoka - Bamboo.

So, tonight I headed over to Phonica records to see if my pre-orders of Superfly's latest 2 releases had arrived yet (they hadn't). On a side note I am actually worried as they should have got them by now and 1 of the 2 had sold out in the shop across the road, Sounds Of The Universe, in just 2 hours!!! I decided to look in on the second hand record shop, Reckless Records, at their jazz section (it was good but mainly reissues priced pretty steeply). Reckless have a wall of their more pricey jazz records which, unfortunately, tend to be priced really high. Dead in the middle was the Superfly pressing of Bamboo, priced lower than it has ever sold for on discogs and wayyyyyy more than any online retailer that I have seen (one guy wanted £200 plus shipping). Its in near mint condition, with the obi, and insert. Still cant quite believe it. Soooo happy!

Minoru Muraoka - Bamboo (Superfly Reocrd, 2014 reissue)

IMG_7798.JPG

Not quite the same level of grab as @Selaws just posted, but ya know sometimes you randomly come across something on Amazon that seem like a good deal and it turns out to be better than expected. Copped this for $10. No mention of color pressing and there was only this copy from the seller, but I had been wanting to grab this. It just wasn’t high on my priority list... for $10 tho I couldn’t say No. It’s nice to get a deal every now and again.

A460C92A-290F-4B28-874C-9BEF7DEE6268.jpeg

Not quite the same level of grab as @Selaws just posted, but ya know sometimes you randomly come across something on Amazon that seem like a good deal and it turns out to be better than expected. Copped this for $10. No mention of color pressing and there was only this copy from the seller, but I had been wanting to grab this. It just wasn’t high on my priority list... for $10 tho I couldn’t say No. It’s nice to get a deal every now and again.

View attachment 18754
Wow, anything for $10 has to be worth it!! Such a nice colour as well!

Got a nice overtime paycheck last week. Naturally, I splurged.

Ambient pickups:

Aqueduct Ensemble - Improvisations on an Apricot
Toshifumi Hinata - Broken Belief
Gigi Masin - Talk to the Sea
Ana Roxanne - ~~~
Slow Dancing Society - The Sounds of Lights When Dim
Hiroshi Yoshimura - Music For Nine Post Cards

20191002_151211.jpg

Improvisations on an Apricot is interesting in that there is a delicate blend of jazz and ambient music. Perfect for me, as it gives me the best of both worlds with an underlying, yet prominent, saxophone.
Both the Hinata and Masin records are on the Music From Memory label, currently one of my favorites. Hinata's LP is kind of groovy with ambient sections, and Masin employs a much more focused ambient sound across a 90-minute (!!) beautiful compilation.
Ana Roxanne's album was purchased on a whim as a recommendation from one of the co-owners of Musique Plastique in Portland (my favorite shop in the city). After listening to it, I found it pretty engaging. Although brief (just under 28 minutes), I get hints of Grouper's quiet vocals in the tracks where Ana sings, as well as lots of environmental sounds in the purely instrumental tracks (rainfall, footsteps, insect sounds, etc.). Should be a mainstay and get some plays during the night hours.
Slow Dancing Society was a pick that I saw on Matt Kessler's Too Many Records YouTube channel. Although not really a follower of his, when he listed this as one of his 100 favorite albums and upon learning that it was an ambient release, I was curious. It is an interesting mix of how ambient music can symbolize the changing of the seasons. 50 minutes across a single translucent LP made me raise an eyebrow, but it sounds great. Only $16 shipped from Bandcamp!
The last ambient record is a long-standing classic in the genre. Unfortunately, my copy of Music For Nine Post Cards has some surface noise on side A for the first few minutes that ends up being distracting. Even worse, the last track has loud popping that prolongs for over a full minute! Really is unfortunate for such a beautiful record...how good is Light in the Attic's customer service, for anyone who has had experience?

Jazz and other pickups:

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Indestructible
Lou Donaldson - Mr. Shing-A-Ling
Dexter Gordon - Doin' Allright
Autechre - Tri Repetae
Sharon Van Etten - Are We There

20191002_151503.jpg

The Blue Note records need no explanation. Strengthening my limited IDM library with an Autechre record (sounds pheonmenal on this most recent reissue through Warp), and tried out Sharon's previous full-length. Curious to dig into more of Sharon's work, as I like this more established sound of her older records.

Lastly, picked up Hatchie's EP at the show I went to last Friday! Brought my Keepsake jacket and she signed both after the show at the merch table. Really kind and sweet girl.

20191002_152123.jpg

Back