Fresh Grabs

This is amazing, you are literally the only other person I have seen that has this. I picked it up at a car boot sale a few years back because it had Philly Joe Jones and Lee Morgan on it. Just blown away by how good it is but I rarely see it mentioned anywhere, your in for a treat!

You're partly to blame for this since I saw your Instagram post on it last month 😄

My Blakey reissues arrived...
View attachment 17133

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messagers - The Freedom Rider

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messagers - Indestructible

I am a relative Jazz novice, typically I hang with the more Soul-Jazz and Jazz Fusion styles but I can appreciate a some Hard Bop and these really cook.
Looking forward to getting The Freedom Rider tomorrow!

Carboot haul from this morning. I actually only had an hour to spare so I didn't get chance to check out all the stalls (bet there were some really good finds to be had), but im pretty happy with what I picked up. The seller I bought these off had hundreds and hundreds of records which he just wanted to get rid of. Most of it was easy listening stuff but I picked out a couple jazz pieces. He then got chatting to me and brought out a load of old jazz books which I would have usually bought a few of but im swamped with books at the moment. Anyway, I got these 4 for a grand total of....£5.

Jazz Spectrum - Green (Curcio Italian 'best of jazz' 5lp set).
Jazz Spectrum - Blue (Curcio Italian 'best of jazz' 5lp set).

Some great tracks on these with line-ups including the likes of Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Coleman Hawkins, Bill Evans, Donald Byrd, Stan Getz, Kenny Clarke, Dave Brubeck, Thad Jones, Tommy Turrentine, Charlie Rouse, Thelonious Monk, Max Roach, Charlie Parker, Kenny Dorham, Stanley Turrentine, Freddie Hubbard, Eric Dolphy, Horace Silver, McCoy Tyner, Elvin Jones, Charles Mingus........did I miss anyone??
The Beach Boys - Beach Boys' Party! (1965 First US pressing - Live album)
The Original Dixieland Jazz Band - The London Recordings (1974 First UK Pressing)

This is a 'first time on vinyl' pressing of the Original Dixieland Jazz Band recordings. I picked this up becasue, as well as being super cheap, its the first group/recording mentioned in Ben Ratliff's 'The New York Times Essential Library: Jazz: A Critic's Guide to the 100 Most Important Recordings' book.

IMG_6947.JPG

Haha! FIFY... It's more of a faux live than an actual live recording. Regardless, it's a fun one none the less. Barbara Ann, Some Beatles and Bob Dylan covers. Good stuff!
I thought it might be. I was actually chatting to my girlfriend about the exact same thing when I got it. Just for fun I usually pick up every Beach Boys record I find (for £1 and below) at the sales, fully aware that they basically would swap the tracks around and release it as a new album.....those sneaky sneaky surfers!! :ROFLMAO:

The pain of having to travel 30 minutes to collect my misdelivered parcel is alleviated by the quality of the records courtesy of Superfly.

First up four releases from one of my favourite artists, African Brothers Band

20190916_134029.jpg

And then Ebo Taylor, one that features my second favourite Beninese band Les Volcans (D'Almeida Bluecky - La Caravelle), and the piece de resistance: a great copy of Les Sympathics' first album. Plus, my guilty pleasure (although being a Brit maybe not so guilty as if I were a Yank) - Hootie and the Blowfish, including their first 3 EPs and a live gig.

20190916_134124.jpg

Teru Sakamoto Trio ‎– Farewell My Johnny/ Left Alone (Solid Records / Johnny's Disk Record ‎- Project Re:Vinyl series, 2017)

My first pick up in the Project Re:Vinyl series. I have heard good things about it but they always seem to be on the pricier side. Fortunately, I was able to pick this up for £20 which seems like a good deal.

IMG_6967 2.JPG

Teru Sakamoto Trio ‎– Farewell My Johnny/ Left Alone (Solid Records / Johnny's Disk Record ‎- Project Re:Vinyl series, 2017)

My first pick up in the Project Re:Vinyl series. I have heard good things about it but they always seem to be on the pricier side. Fortunately, I was able to pick this up for £20 which seems like a good deal.

View attachment 17255

You are going to love it! The version of My Favorite Things is just incredible.

Picked up this awesome Blue Note comp today. I don’t usually go for comps, but after seeing the list of songs and finding out that it’s out print I had to jump on it. Pristine copy too.

View attachment 17097View attachment 17098
This looks really cool! It's amazing how deep the sampling opportunities in Blue Note are. There's been at least 3 times in the last few weeks where I heard part of an album I thought would make a great sample and then I search and it looks like nobody has used it yet!

VMP package + UO straggler.

1568676061054-1178906259.jpg

Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - The Freedom Rider
Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Collosus
Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated

The VMP jazz reissues sound phenomenal, even with some hiss on side B of Saxophone Collosus (was able to get VMP credit for that, surprisingly). CRJ sounds pretty good when the volume is cranked up. 👍

Got my Nora Jones as well............and a curve ball from Amoeba. So I ordered what was listed as a 2011 pressing of Grace, showed up today, the bar code scans as a 2010 pressing, but the label and matrix are for a 2015 European pressing by We Are Vinyl pressed at Quantum sound. Its getting to the point that none of this stuff is being listed correctly so how the frick do you order with confidence?
20190916_190303.jpg

Stereolab
F46A4B66-6D43-4A5C-81E8-1142AA9B7B75.jpeg

Stereolab - Dots & Loops
Stereolab - Emperor Tomato Ketchup

Big thanks to @TheThinWhiteDuke for pointing me to Amazon.ca to be able to grab these. These along with Mars Audactic Quintet, Refried Ectoplasm, and Aluminum Tunes, I now have my essential Stereolab covered. I might pick up a few more depending on opportunity and value but I am super happy to check these off my list.

Back