Fresh Grabs

If anyone has the winning lottery numbers, I can use them after my last month.
View attachment 16695
Fantastic haul. I've been seeing people in the US (and now you in Amsterdam) getting their copies of the J-Jazz Vol 3. Annoying that im in the same city where they ship from and im still waiting for mine to arrive :rolleyes:

Big haul today! Some killer buys here:

Thelonious Monk - The Unique Thelonious Monk (Riverside, Early 1959 US Mono Pressing)
Thelonious Monk Quartet with Johnny Griffin - Thelonious In Action (Riverside, First 1958 Mono Pressing)

IMG_6827.JPG

Now for the monsters:
Yusef Lateef - Prayer To The East (Savoy, 1957 First US Pressing - Deep Groove, RVG Stamp)
I have been after this for so so long. It hardly ever appears online (discogs doesn't have any at the moment either) and when it does appear its usually mental money. I still find it crazy that its never had an official repress. Another interesting fact about it is that the matrix number in the runout is crossed out, with another number next to it. This is because the first number was the wrong record (it was for a Dexter Gordon - Dexter Rides Again) which suggests that during the prep of the stampers both records were worked on.
Art Pepper - Meets The Rhythm Section (Contemporary, 1957 First Pressing)
Another whale. Just a super great record. I have just actually started reading his autobiography titled 'Straight Life', which is also the name of the last track on side 1.

IMG_6828.JPG

Bit of a bonus here. The guy that I bought the Art Pepper from included these, which is just super generous. The magazine is a free 'Record Collector News' from the US, but the big one is the record. A playable copy (surface scratches but nothing deep) of The Horace Silver Quintet - Song For My Father (Cantiga Para Meu Pai) (Blue Note, 1966 reissue)
IMG_6829.JPG

What are the DeAGOSTINI reissues @Selaws is this a current issue? Are these worth picking up (when not damaged :p)
So they dont actually sell them anymore. Its an old monthly subscription service/magazine which reissued classic jazz records. Apparently the quality is really good, and they can be picked up super cheap on ebay (£10). When buying on ebay its worth mentioning that in most cases its just the record, but some do actually have the magazine included.

So just worth mentioning in case you or maybe @MikeH were thinking of picking up Blakey’s Drum Suite, I posted in What’s Spinning earlier that mine (and according to discogs, the whole first run) was mispressed as a Jaco Pastorius album. Turns out it’s really good but not Drum Suite!

So just worth mentioning in case you or maybe @MikeH were thinking of picking up Blakey’s Drum Suite, I posted in What’s Spinning earlier that mine (and according to discogs, the whole first run) was mispressed as a Jaco Pastorius album. Turns out it’s really good but not Drum Suite!
Thanks for the heads up!

Freddie Hubbard - Here to Stay & Hub Tones
From the Blue Note Reissue Series "Two-fers"
View attachment 16750View attachment 16751

Wayne Shorter - Super Nova
View attachment 16752View attachment 16753

Horace Silver - Song for My Father
View attachment 16754View attachment 16755

!!!!!Impulse!!!!!Art Blakey!!!!!Jazz Messengers!!!!!
View attachment 16756
View attachment 16757

Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - 3 Blind MiceView attachment 16758View attachment 16759
I’ve become a big fan of those Blue Note twofers! I got that Hubbard a few weeks ago!

I'm in the Faroe Islands for work and managed to find the only record shop here, but it was a great little one called Tutl. Nice playlist on Spotify of local artists and I liked a lot of the female ones. So I grabbed Eivør - Live in Torshavn (she's the islands' most famous singer - has something of Kate Bush about her, I think); Elinborg - Landið Sum Ongin Saer / Spor (she's Eivør's sister); and Dottir - Seeker (which is a bit rockier). Excited to broaden my horizons a bit.

20190911_114958.jpg

Last edited:
Got it for a pretty good deal! No CD sadly but it’s the U.K. press which seems to be better than the US since it was pressed at a different plant. Excited to give it a spin.

This was actually, if I remember rightly, only available online from the band, the two presses weren’t geographic as such and because the all came direct from the band I think they’re all marked as U.K. releases. I think because of the lower demand for vinyl in general and the fact that there were less plants, one couldn’t handle it on its own in 2011. Itwas split between Record Industries and GZ. There are rumours the GZ one isn’t as good. I had mine ordered and sent to the U.K. and I got a GZ one, it sounds absolutely perfect but I suppose, as always with them, it could well be a crapshoot.

Last edited:
I'm in the Faroe Islands for work and managed to find the only record shop here, but it was a great little one called Tutl. Nice playlist on Spotify of local artists and I liked a lot of the female ones. So I grabbed Eivør - Live in Torshavn (she's the islands' most famous singer - has something of Kate Bush about her, I think); Elinborg - Landið Sum Ongin Saer / Spor (she's Eivør's sister); and Dottir - Seeker (which is a bit rockier). Excited to broaden my horizons a bit.

View attachment 16780

That live album of Eivor is fantastic. She has a Kate Bush vibe for sure; she even made a cover of "Hounds of love" that it's very, very, very good (I think it's on her album Larva, but I'm not sure now)

Back