Fitness!

Well ladies and gentlemen, I would say that was a pretty successful Winter Challenge! @debianlinux killed us all and came in at 3d:8h:15m:00s of active time, nice! As a group we had 10 participants, were active for 10.28 days, traveled 614 miles and burned 151,273 calories. I'd say that was pretty successful!haha It's hard to stay motivated during the winter months but I think we successfully helped each other achieve that. Now, I'm finding it's even harder to stay motivated while stuck at home. So the next challenge is set up to get us to summer(ish) and hopefully through the worst of the Coronavirus pandemic. This one is set up the same way, tracking active minutes of any sport, and goes until the end of May. I friend requested everyone from the first challenge because I realized I can't invite you to challenges unless we're friends on Endo which would make getting everyone the link a little easier. Here's the link, go ahead and sign up today!

Get a screen grab while you’re ahead by 1 minute 50 seconds! 😈

OK...I decided to do something about my weight.

Recently I've been trying more portion control - as that is my biggest issue - along with just being sedentary. I sit at home - usually on my computer. I sit at work...at a computer and monitors watching patients heart rhythms.

I'm 6'5" and around 350 lbs. I've always been a "big guy". A few years ago I got near 300 but then it just all came back.

We bought a nice treadmill that I rarely use...and I have an exercise bike that I don't use at all anymore.

But the other day I broke down and bought some DDP Yoga dvd's and a yoga mat. Gonna give that a try. It comes Thursday.

I'll post more once I start.

Yeah. I think it will help workout all the work related shit at the hospital, too.
Honestly exercise is just the BEST thing for clearing your mind and just generally feeling better and more at ease about... pretty much everything. I can't explain why exactly, I'm sure there's a particular science to it. But it lowers your blood pressure, and just generally calms you down. It's VERY useful during our current...uh... climate.

Crap, don't say climate... that's a whole other thing.

During our current... situation.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

The DVD's and yoga mat came today...just finished doing about 30 minutes of mostly stretching and learning the moves.

I think I'll try for another 30 later before I go to bed.

Awesome, keep it up! If it helps motivate you, you should join our active minutes challenge:

I've been doing yoga every day now too. First thing in the morning - 20 mins of yoga. Then I've done another 20 in the middle of the day. But yesterday I was getting incredibly anxious and stressed. So I took a walk outside for about 30 mins and felt much better. This is the extent of what I can do. I use to be so much more active, but this past month has been a wreck. Just now trying to get back into it and it helps tremendously.

My friends and I have been doing a push-up challenge, every day we add 5 more. We're at 110 today, then I do 20 minutes on the elliptical and take the dogs for a walk. Then I feel really good and drink like 8 beers and completely undo everything I just did...

My friends and I have been doing a push-up challenge, every day we add 5 more. We're at 110 today, then I do 20 minutes on the elliptical and take the dogs for a walk. Then I feel really good and drink like 8 beers and completely undo everything I just did...
Beware elbow tendonitis. With that amount of volume and frequency you are going to want to introduce some antagonistic work. Bicep curls and band pull aparts would be my recommendation to stave off injury (and give you the edge in the competition). You don't have to go hard or long with the assistance work.

My wife and I have been going out for walks at least once a week... Now I'm trying to go out on my own every other day...

Yesterday, I did 4.25 miles. I'd love to start running again but my shoulder still doesn't have a lot of mobility post surgery, and I don't know if I should.

Beware elbow tendonitis. With that amount of volume and frequency you are going to want to introduce some antagonistic work. Bicep curls and band pull aparts would be my recommendation to stave off injury (and give you the edge in the competition). You don't have to go hard or long with the assistance work.
Good call thanks! These are spread out over the day so it's not too bad... yet. But there is certainly a limit this will get to haha. It's not too bad since I'm about 6'1" 180 lbs... so my puny arms don't have to lift too much weight...

My wife and I have been going out for walks at least once a week... Now I'm trying to go out on my own every other day...

Yesterday, I did 4.25 miles. I'd love to start running again but my shoulder still doesn't have a lot of mobility post surgery, and I don't know if I should.
I had a shoulder injury about 8? weeks ago. My acromioclavicular ligament stretched/tore. The ortho didn't see any need for surgery but I will tell you my clavicle on that side is visibly more promnent and the end is a good inch above my shoulder now. I stayed completely out of it for 4 or 5 weeks after thinking I could treat it like a muscular injury for the first couple weeks (where movement is generally a good thing). I slowly started adding basic rehab movements for 2 weeks and just recently I've started pushing it more and more and closely monitoring the response. At any rate, I started playing beat saber again for cardio and initially I was really unsure how my shoulder would respond to repeated wild swinging about. Turns out it seems to be really helping

I must disclaim that a) I don't know the extent of your injury or surgery and b) I am sure my issue is nothing like yours. Surely you are doing some rehab and talking with your doctor?

I do know shoulders are fickle things that literally get stiff and locked up without use. Running seems like a pretty low key shoulder movement (unloaded, natural, and well inside the overhead and/or outstretched planes where shoulders get in trouble thanks to the leverages involved). I would expect with a focus on keeping elbows tucked in tight the shoulder load should be negligible in running???

I had a shoulder injury about 8? weeks ago. My acromioclavicular ligament stretched/tore. The ortho didn't see any need for surgery but I will tell you my clavicle on that side is visibly more promnent and the end is a good inch above my shoulder now. I stayed completely out of it for 4 or 5 weeks after thinking I could treat it like a muscular injury for the first couple weeks (where movement is generally a good thing). I slowly started adding basic rehab movements for 2 weeks and just recently I've started pushing it more and more and closely monitoring the response. At any rate, I started playing beat saber again for cardio and initially I was really unsure how my shoulder would respond to repeated wild swinging about. Turns out it seems to be really helping

I must disclaim that a) I don't know the extent of your injury or surgery and b) I am sure my issue is nothing like yours. Surely you are doing some rehab and talking with your doctor?

I do know shoulders are fickle things that literally get stiff and locked up without use. Running seems like a pretty low key shoulder movement (unloaded, natural, and well inside the overhead and/or outstretched planes where shoulders get in trouble thanks to the leverages involved). I would expect with a focus on keeping elbows tucked in tight the shoulder load should be negligible in running???

I dislocated my shoulder and had a fracture as well. Back in January. They put in some screws via surgery and I had to wear a sling for 8 weeks. Because of that, my muscles have atrophied and I can't raise my arm much higher than my head. Doing physical therapy and exercises at home.

I am thinking though that I could run if I keep my elbows tucked in ...

I dislocated my shoulder and had a fracture as well. Back in January. They put in some screws via surgery and I had to wear a sling for 8 weeks. Because of that, my muscles have atrophied and I can't raise my arm much higher than my head. Doing physical therapy and exercises at home.

I am thinking though that I could run if I keep my elbows tucked in ...

I had a pretty serious shoulder surgery about a decade ago. Torn tendons, calcium deposits, couldn't lift my arm above my neck, some other stuff... I feel your pain. I was in a sling for 6 weeks I think, had to sleep sitting up for awhile. PT was essential and helped but I wouldn't say my strength, or my left jab, ever returned fully. Once you build enough strength to have some stability in the joint you'll progress much faster but it takes awhile.

Back