Drummers Drumming Drums

ranbalam

So, there's no drummers' thread yet? Well then here it is.

Post your favorite solos, grooves, jokes, gear questions, gear answers, gear problems, gear recommendations, pics of your kits. You know, drum stuff.

I will share a gear story...

So, I bought a drum kit from a west coast company called Whitney Drums. It's a nesting cocktail kit. I thought this would be perfect for some of the smaller gigs we would be doing. They are beautiful drums, and sound almost as nice as they look. The problem? Hardware. I can't stand setting this up, don't like the reverse kick pedal and it starts literally rocking when you get on these. And the timing is weird because of both the reverse kick and the movement of the whole damn kit. Overall, a bad purchase. I don't think I'd be able to sell them for even 50% of what I paid, even though they are just lightly used and never gigged with. I did record the toms for a part of a song that needed some acoustic toms added.

Here's a pic, without any brass set up.

My Whitney Kit.jpg

I will share a gear story...

So, I bought a drum kit from a west coast company called Whitney Drums. It's a nesting cocktail kit. I thought this would be perfect for some of the smaller gigs we would be doing. They are beautiful drums, and sound almost as nice as they look. The problem? Hardware. I can't stand setting this up, don't like the reverse kick pedal and it starts literally rocking when you get on these. And the timing is weird because of both the reverse kick and the movement of the whole damn kit. Overall, a bad purchase. I don't think I'd be able to sell them for even 50% of what I paid, even though they are just lightly used and never gigged with. I did record the toms for a part of a song that needed some acoustic toms added.

Here's a pic, without any brass set up.

View attachment 13649
What species of wood are these drums? How’s the nesting mechanism work?

What species of wood are these drums? How’s the nesting mechanism work?

Birch shells and maple rims. I will take and post pics of how they nest this weekend. The wood is beautiful, construction solid, and it remains light in weight. It's really inventive and I was SO ready to love this kit. If it just played better, from a physical standpoint, I'd be on board. In hindsight I should have gotten the standard instead of the cocktail.

Since buying and then relinquishing this kit back to its cases, I moved on to a Gretsch Catalina Club and it's prefect for small gigs. (The snare is lousy, but I have half a dozen snares to use instead)

Birch shells and maple rims. I will take and post pics of how they nest this weekend. The wood is beautiful, construction solid, and it remains light in weight. It's really inventive and I was SO ready to love this kit. If it just played better, from a physical standpoint, I'd be on board. In hindsight I should have gotten the standard instead of the cocktail.

Since buying and then relinquishing this kit back to its cases, I moved on to a Gretsch Catalina Club and it's prefect for small gigs. (The snare is lousy, but I have half a dozen snares to use instead)
They are super cool looking, and the bass pedal hitting the reso head of the floor tom is a cool idea (I saw Glenn Kotche do that once), although I think I would miss an actual bass drum. I can definitely see where these would move around/rock and be uncomfortable to play, though.

What’s your snare lineup?

What’s your snare lineup?

I have a Pork Pie 10" that I thought I'd use a lot but it's so tight and high pitched, it's just a specialty item.
I have three Slingerlands - stainless, brass and copper. The brass one is really great, so much sizzle. It's I think 3 1/2 deep, whereas the cooper is like 6". The copper was my main gig snare for quite awhile; it has a sound like Pete Thomas, definitely big and a bit ringy.
I have the one came with the Gretsch kit, which is not of good enough quality to get in the mix.
Then there's the one that came with the Whitney Kit which sounds really nice but isn't useful with any other kit because of the bracketry,
And my best for last - a Yamaha Maple Custom. This one records beautifully, and I gig with it in larger venues. (The brass Slingerland suffices for small gigs.)

So I guess that's seven snares among three kits: Whitney, Gretsch, Yamaha Recording Custom. I guess I could say I have a fourth kit if my Alesis Sample Pad Pro counts. (nah, it doesn't. :D)

I have been playing for 35 years so I guess as with anything, one tends to accrue a lot of gear.

I have a Pork Pie 10" that I thought I'd use a lot but it's so tight and high pitched, it's just a specialty item.
I have three Slingerlands - stainless, brass and copper. The brass one is really great, so much sizzle. It's I think 3 1/2 deep, whereas the cooper is like 6". The copper was my main gig snare for quite awhile; it has a sound like Pete Thomas, definitely big and a bit ringy.
I have the one came with the Gretsch kit, which is not of good enough quality to get in the mix.
Then there's the one that came with the Whitney Kit which sounds really nice but isn't useful with any other kit because of the bracketry,
And my best for last - a Yamaha Maple Custom. This one records beautifully, and I gig with it in larger venues. (The brass Slingerland suffices for small gigs.)

So I guess that's seven snares among three kits: Whitney, Gretsch, Yamaha Recording Custom. I guess I could say I have a fourth kit if my Alesis Sample Pad Pro counts. (nah, it doesn't. :D)

I have been playing for 35 years so I guess as with anything, one tends to accrue a lot of gear.
That’s a nice stable of snares. What diameter and depth is your Yamaha?

I’m a 2-snare man myself. I have a 3x13” bronze hammered Ludwig piccolo that I used for years and years. Then, this year, I got a 5x14” Noble & Cooley Maple classic (steam bent) solid shell, which has been life changing. Striking it was like hearing and hitting a snare drum for the first time.

That’s a nice stable of snares. What diameter and depth is your Yamaha?

I’m a 2-snare man myself. I have a 3x13” bronze hammered Ludwig piccolo that I used for years and years. Then, this year, I got a 5x14” Noble & Cooley Maple classic (steam bent) solid shell, which has been life changing. Striking it was like hearing and hitting a snare drum for the first time.

My Yamaha is 14 x 5 1/2

Wow, those Noble & Cooley snares are beautiful. I've been following a couple drum shops and drum makers on Instagram. A&F Drums make some great looking snares and drums, they are unique and pretty, but I haven't heard them in person. And I almost impulse bought a Sugar Percussion snare (poplar, painted what they called Porsche Blue) but it was just too pricey to press the buy button, especially since I am not in dire need of another snare.

What kind of music do you play?

My Yamaha is 14 x 5 1/2

Wow, those Noble & Cooley snares are beautiful. I've been following a couple drum shops and drum makers on Instagram. A&F Drums make some great looking snares and drums, they are unique and pretty, but I haven't heard them in person. And I almost impulse bought a Sugar Percussion snare (poplar, painted what they called Porsche Blue) but it was just too pricey to press the buy button, especially since I am not in dire need of another snare.

What kind of music do you play?
Lots of stuff depending on the situation, who I am playing with, etc. but basically all of my practice time is spent on jazz and independence. What about you?

Lots of stuff depending on the situation, who I am playing with, etc. but basically all of my practice time is spent on jazz and independence. What about you?

Jazz eh? So you're good. :giggle:

I have always played rock, alt-country, funky rock, Americana. I never had formal instruction, just always jammed with folks and have managed to stay in bands because of my work ethic. (and glowing personality of course). I know it's never too late, but man I wish I would have attacked rudiments when I started at age 15. Instead I just listened to Zeppelin records and played along.

You ever seen the Billy Martin book Claves of African Origin. It's a cool book that is filled with ideas that work on independence. I've been meaning to break it out and start practicing some of the patterns. Don't need a set or anything, just something to ban on. I'm an ex drummer.

Back