Everything Video Games!

A game I've never even heard of made top 10 (Kentucky Route Zero?). This is someone's circle jerk, like most "top ___" lists.

Kentucky Route Zero is a masterpiece.

I have waiting years for a console port. Was supposed to drop this year but then Act V got delayed. Never expected them so long to get to the final act. It seems a bit presumptuous to place it in the top 10 when it hasn't ended yet... But everything I've heard indicates it being a masterpiece. I believe Polygon's super eclectic list had it at #4.

Last edited:
A game I've never even heard of made top 10 (Kentucky Route Zero?). This is someone's circle jerk, like most "top ___" lists.

I mean, they say at the start of the article that the author and their assistant editor were the only two people involved with putting the list together. I appreciate this because I'm someone who doesn't often get behind AAA games, even if they are good. I wouldn't have put Witcher 3 on my list either (although I would have put The Last Of Us).

I have not played Witcher 3 because the 2nd one featured some of the clunkiest gameplay I've ever suffered through, I'm not crazy about Lord of the Rings styled worlds and because after the 80-100 hour journies of Persona 5 and Zero Dawn, I simply haven't felt up to such a long game. That said, I am very much looking forward to Cyberpunk.

As to The Last of Us... it was the most emotionally impactful game I have ever played and unlike games like Night in the Woods and Gone Home (both of which would make my end-of-decade-list), it has the game play to match. I truly don't understand how it's not at least in the top 20 on most of these lists.

Here's the Polygon list... (Mass Effect 2 is also way too low).

Last edited:
Which one? Xbox seems to be default for PC game controls. Is there any reason to look in a different direction?
Only if you have a preference towards the xbox or ps4. I plugged in my ps4 controller and it worked. But older games sometimes don't support ps4 controllers.

Xbox controllers work 99.9% of the time on all pc games.

So yeah what ever your use too/what you got on hand basically. I can't see another reason besides that. I prefer the build quality of the ps4. Feels and weighs great.

Which one? Xbox seems to be default for PC game controls. Is there any reason to look in a different direction?
Only if you have a preference towards the xbox or ps4. I plugged in my ps4 controller and it worked. But older games sometimes don't support ps4 controllers.

Xbox controllers work 99.9% of the time on all pc games.

So yeah what ever your use too/what you got on hand basically. I can't see another reason besides that. I prefer the build quality of the ps4. Feels and weighs great.

Even though I like using my dualshock 4, it is annoying how many games give you xbox prompts in tutorials (or QTEs god forbid) no matter what controller you are using (unless you mod the game). So, for that reason, I'd go xbox, since you don't already have one.

Even though I like using my dualshock 4, it is annoying how many games give you xbox prompts in tutorials (or QTEs god forbid) no matter what controller you are using (unless you mod the game). So, for that reason, I'd go xbox, since you don't already have one.
Completely forgot about this. My mind is wired now that both controllers and prompts are interchangeable.

I finished Guacamelee 2 this weekend, and I think I like it even better than the first. The second does what a good sequel should - raises the stakes, remembers the past, and expands upon it, and delivers possibly a more compelling story than the first. I'm conflicted on the difficulty though. I found some of the optional challenge areas to be, for lack of better terms, quite challenging. However, the bosses felt significantly easier, especially the final one. That being said, all the charm and meta references are still here and then some. The game even recognized that not everyone might like the meta and rather than run from it, pushes it harder to new comedic highs. Not only that, but it also acknowledges that most, if not all, of the mechanics in the game are borrowed in some form from other genres. Some of the level design, and many of the references in the background are pure tribute to the predecessors. One of my favorites is a section where you have to run up and then jump over some pillars that have spikes on the top. In the middle of this section there is some graffiti on a building in the background of a strawberry with wings, a very obvious Celeste reference. After I saw that I got to thinking about the area, and it makes a lot of sense that it's there. The movement in this area is functionally similar to how you use the dash platforms in that game, it just doesn't fling you as quickly.

Bottom line: if you like Metroidvania's, over the top action games, and arguably too many references to every other game (stylized as Mexican artwork), then play this!

I'm curious, since you made this statement, is Dark Souls considered more influential than Demon's Souls and why? Because Dark Souls sold more? I know it was last decade.
I'd say so because of the format. Demon's Souls is level-based whereas Dark Souls is more open.

I think Minecraft is best and most influential game. It is such a good game even to this day. I would accept Dark Souls as well. Very influential on combat systems for games these days and I'm 100% okay with that

Also, this is a varied and very interesting list. Even if the lack of The Last of Us is jarring and unjustifiable.

anyone here played Outer Wilds before? I see it ranked here and was considering giving it a try. I'm very into the whole Fallout/Skyrim adventure game format and I had seen Outer Wilds recommended a few times.

It's kinda of funny how there's Outer Wilds and The Outer Worlds which are very similar. I'm about 6 hours into The Outer Worlds and it's decent. Very Fallout NV which makes sense since it's Obsidian. So far so good, but I've heard some people say that it's too short. I also hate the grid menu for items in inventory. I'd rather it just be a list. ALSO THE TEXT IS SO SMALL. I downloaded the update last week which was supposed to fix it but it's still the same :(

anyone here played Outer Wilds before? I see it ranked here and was considering giving it a try. I'm very into the whole Fallout/Skyrim adventure game format and I had seen Outer Wilds recommended a few times.

It's kinda of funny how there's Outer Wilds and The Outer Worlds which are very similar. I'm about 6 hours into The Outer Worlds and it's decent. Very Fallout NV which makes sense since it's Obsidian. So far so good, but I've heard some people say that it's too short. I also hate the grid menu for items in inventory. I'd rather it just be a list. ALSO THE TEXT IS SO SMALL. I downloaded the update last week which was supposed to fix it but it's still the same :(
I really enjoyed the Outer Wilds. Really interesting and different game. RIL being dropped into an environment and exploring and puzzling together what is going on. Just try your best to resist spoilers and hints.

I really enjoyed the Outer Wilds. Really interesting and different game. RIL being dropped into an environment and exploring and puzzling together what is going on. Just try your best to resist spoilers and hints.
I believe it's on Game Pass so I'm definitely going to give it a shot. Outer Worlds is too. I was going to cancel game pass but having Gears 5, Outer Worlds is really making it worth keeping so I don't need to drop $60 on a new game.

Getting a Switch for Christmas. We’ll be getting Mario Cart and Zelda as givens, but anything else we should consider? Also have a PS4, so any exclusives or indies would be great!

Odyssey is a must have. It is a pure joy to play.

Dark Souls is the best game of the decade.

I tried out Dark Souls last week (local library borrow!) and I couldn't handle it at all (as in, the first big monster made me turn the game off). I guess I don't like RPGs that are more action-y than, like, Skyrim.

Back