Everything Video Games!

Getting a Switch for Christmas. We’ll be getting Mario Cart and Zelda as givens, but anything else we should consider? Also have a PS4, so any exclusives or indies would be great!
Even though I don't have a Switch yet, if you haven't gotten it for PS4, or if you want it portable, I would recommend Rayman Legends in addition to what Woob said. One of the greatest platformers this/last generation.

Took advantage of Steam fall sale - picked up Valve Orange box for a couple of bucks. Gonna play Half Life 2 for first time since I was like 14 when my brother had it on his PC. Hopefully I am not as anxious as I was back then.

Just finished playing through F.E.A.R. and F.E.A.R. 2 - they were fun FPS but not really scary. Also, why is the female soldier (Lt Stokes, I believe) wearing midriff revealing armor? So weird.

Currently playing Assassin's Creed II - never played any in the series. Good so far. Mechanics are a bit odd with controlling the different body parts but I like how it is all tied into being in Animus.

Also playing My Friend Pedro - I want a banana friend. He is cheeky.

Getting a Switch for Christmas. We’ll be getting Mario Cart and Zelda as givens, but anything else we should consider? Also have a PS4, so any exclusives or indies would be great!
GRIS and Hollow Knight for gorgeous indie platformers. Also enjoyed Untitled Goose Game, though I'd grab that one on sale. It's rather short, like GRIS, and priced similarly, but I didn't second guess for one moment the $14 price of GRIS upon finishing it (ended up then buying it again for my sister and then the deluxe physical release with vinyl).

The SteamWorld series also impressed me. And Flipping Death is an unsung gem for morbidly humored folks like me.

Super Mario Maker 2 is an endless source of fun given all the creative player-made levels uploaded daily.

For PS4 exclusives, Horizon Zero Dawn gets my top reco! It's only $9 for Cyber Monday. God of War is also deservedly hyped.

Haven't checked in here in awhile.

Just beat Spider Man after picking it up here and there over the course of the past 3 or so months. Very enjoyable game. Also been playing Far Cry 3 and Rayman Orgins over that span. Probably 1/2 to 2/3's of the way through each of them. Both hold up very well. Particularly Rayman which, frankly, is just a pure delight. Will definitely snag the PS4 sequel Legends at some point.

Part of the reason I have been playing Far Cry and Rayman is because I wound up listening to Giant Bomb's end of the year podcasts in reverse order all the way back to 2010 or 11 during August. I was working a political campaign as a canvasser so I went through them pretty quickly. I'm also someone that still has my SNES and Gamecube collection, so needless to say, I have a backlogue consisting of many of the games they mentioned.

Anyways, a passionate advocacy for Stardew Valley in the 2016 version of the podcast caused me to pick up the game. And the child in me that was once addicted to Harvest Moon 64 wound up absolutely in love with it. Cannot recommend it enough. It's the reason it took me so long to beat Spiderman and why I'm still only partially through Far Cry and Rayman. There was about a two month period where the only video game I wanted in my life was Stardew. Particularly because you can just mute it and put on some music underneath it. Also, @Thackeraye it's the perfect Switch game.

Lastly, I snagged GoW and Dead Cells on Black Friday. Haven't started Gow yet, gotta knock some of these other games out first. But I did start playing Dead Cells. Never been a rouge-lite person, but Giant Bomb has done me right again. Very satisfying gameplay indeed. Basically a 2D Blood Borne but for some reason dying in it doesn't piss me off the way it did in Blood Borne. Likely because it utilizes Metroidvania elements that stick around post-death a provide a sense of accomplishment even as you move backwards.

Last edited:
Also, this is a varied and very interesting list. Even if the lack of The Last of Us is jarring and unjustifiable.

Last edited:
So there hasn't been a proper FPS Halo launch on PC in 12 years, and Reach is now less than 24 hours away. Anyone else at maximum hype?

Finally beat Valkyria Chronicles (first one). Great game.

Anyone play Divinity Original Sin 2? Picked it up on a sale and trying to decide which origins character to play as my main.

I've been squeezing in a couple hours of Fallen Order lately. The Dark Souls-style combat does NOT translate well to mouse and keyboard. Do I really need to get a control pad to play this enjoyably?

Back