Everything Video Games!

One thing that I love doing in quest based RPGs is making the NPCs wait ages for you to continue a quest. Like, I know it's a game and it doesn't matter because they're not a real person. But I like to think that they're pissed at my character for taking literal weeks in the game to continue the quest. It's funny. I'm replaying Fallout 3 and before you start the end mission in the main story the NPC says "Are you ready? Hurry Up!" and I fuck off for 50 hours in the game doing all the side quests and DLCs before coming back to finish.

One thing that I love doing in quest based RPGs is making the NPCs wait ages for you to continue a quest. Like, I know it's a game and it doesn't matter because they're not a real person. But I like to think that they're pissed at my character for taking literal weeks in the game to continue the quest. It's funny. I'm replaying Fallout 3 and before you start the end mission in the main story the NPC says "Are you ready? Hurry Up!" and I fuck off for 50 hours in the game doing all the side quests and DLCs before coming back to finish.
The last time I played the Smash Brothers single player campaign I sent a team spelunking/mining. Apparently the longer they're out the better the return. Well, that was like July of 2021. I haven't been back and don't know when I will be back but by god when I get back they better just have the win the game object ready for me.

Finally got around to starting Ghost of Tsushima Directors Cut on my PS5. It was one of the games GameStop bundled with my PS5.

My word, the graphics are absolutely beautiful in this game and the lighting is mind blowing. This is a Sony Studios game so It really makes me more excited for how Horizon Forbidden West will look.

After Horizon Forbidden West the next big game release I'm looking forward to is Forspoken.

It looks like it comes in both a Standard Edition and Digital Deluxe Edition:

I can only find the standard edition on disc. If I want the Deluxe edition would I need to buy the digital deluxe edition or would an upgrade likely be available for the disc version. How does this work?

I can only find the standard edition on disc. If I want the Deluxe edition would I need to buy the digital deluxe edition or would an upgrade likely be available for the disc version. How does this work?

That's a good question.

If it's a content thing, I'm not sure of a standard to deluxe upgrade. Is there a discernible difference between the digital/physical offering?

Re: next-gen upgrade though, it'll depend on the game, and from the sounds of it Sony has committed primarily to $10 PS4>PS5 upgrades moving forward. HFW was supposed to release closer to the console debut, so it was planned to have a free upgrade but they reversed course on that for a short bit given the later release and have since been pressured into the free upgrade again.

Edit: I suppose that all doesn't really mean much since you've got the PS5 and Forspoken is native. Totally intrigued by that game, and normally SqEnix is my partner and flatmate's thing.

That's a good question.

If it's a content thing, I'm not sure of a standard to deluxe upgrade. Is there a discernible difference between the digital/physical offering?

Re: next-gen upgrade though, it'll depend on the game, and from the sounds of it Sony has committed primarily to $10 PS4>PS5 upgrades moving forward. HFW was supposed to release closer to the console debut, so it was planned to have a free upgrade but they reversed course on that for a short bit given the later release and have since been pressured into the free upgrade again.

Edit: I suppose that all doesn't really mean much since you've got the PS5 and Forspoken is native. Totally intrigued by that game, and normally SqEnix is my partner and flatmate's thing.

Apparently, according to IGN the deluxe is digital only, at least for now.

The digital deluxe version comes with early access to the prequel story. I had assumed that was coming out sometime after the release of the main game, but nope. No early release date confirmed yet for it though other than Winter 2022.

I imagine you will be able to buy the prequel story at a later date for the standard edition based on the language of "early access".

Apparently, according to IGN the deluxe is digital only, at least for now.

The digital deluxe version comes with early access to the prequel story. I had assumed that was coming out sometime after the release of the main game, but nope. No early release date confirmed yet for it though other than Winter 2022.

I imagine you will be able to buy the prequel story at a later date for the standard edition based on the language of "early access".
A general gripe not related to this title specifically: all too often, game studios make it way too difficult to easily evaluate the differences between different editions (and to know how you can GET each edition). And I'm not a fan of this trend of the more deluxe editions being digital only...they're basically bribing us to agree to not resell the game (and I hate even more how effective that strategy is with me lol)

A general gripe not related to this title specifically: all too often, game studios make it way too difficult to easily evaluate the differences between different editions (and to know how you can GET each edition). And I'm not a fan of this trend of the more deluxe editions being digital only...they're basically bribing us to agree to not resell the game (and I hate even more how effective that strategy is with me lol)

I didn't even think about that until now and it makes perfect sense. It's to try to limit used games sales.

Even with Horizon Forbidden West, the expensive boxes come with digital codes. Not discs.

Speaking of digital games. What happens if I create a new user account on my PS5. Would they have access to the digital only games installed on the PS5 already or are they limited to only my account?

Smugness: commencing. That said this was after about 150 tries, it appears my play style for this game is do it right or don't do it, I've not gotten anything less than a B- since the first couple of bosses.

2022012321594300-D30E1C2C7666B65122781E72D3DC0467.jpg

Speaking of digital games. What happens if I create a new user account on my PS5. Would they have access to the digital only games installed on the PS5 already or are they limited to only my account?
Other accounts should have access to purchased games as long as it's installed. The only limitations I've encountered are for games obtained free with PS Plus, which can only be played via the profile of the PSN account that it's attached to.

Feel like I haven't done a gaming update post in a while, so let's do that!

In Isaac news, I've started to get back into it after taking some time off. On average I'm doing a run a day for the past couple of weeks, working on Tainted Cain. For those who haven't played this character, his gimmick is that any power ups found turn into pickup items, and he uses the Bag of Crafting to pickup 8 items. These items determine what power up you can create, and with the mod that gives item descriptions, you can see the possible combos with the items you have grabbed and what's on the ground. Runs tend to get be on average more powerful because of this, but trying for the items you want eats up time, so the time based bosses are challenging to get to. I discovered yesterday that Dad's Key no longer opens the boss rush door, unless my game glitched. Really disappointing because I had found the item combo for Mama Mega, which still does AFIK. Still have that, Mother, Hush and Delirium to beat before I move to the next character.

Been putting some decent time into Final Fantasy X. Got to the water scene and it was great, and I'm currently running around in the Calm Lands, which in terms of enemy encounters, are anything but. I've been trying to level everyone evenly, and since they have to participate in each fight, the common encounters have been more stressful than the boss battles. I've only had one game over due to a petrify lock, but way more close encounters than I'd like to see. I was a little iffy on this game early on, but as the story progresses I've been getting more and more hooked.

I played through Unpacking about a week ago. Needed something real chill I could play, and found this experience delightful. No real pressure to this one, just open up moving boxes and put the stuff where it belongs. Controls are simple and intuitive, and there's some fun little easter eggs you can discover along the way. You go through the various moves of an unnamed female character, from a childhood move, to college, to moving in with partners, etc. It's fun to see what items stay through the years, and which go, as well as seeing the changes in tech from the 90's to present day. It may seem boring, but I found it highly enjoyable and well executed.

I also just finished A Hat In Time on my switch. Really fun game, and much more challenging than I expected. I got 101% in my stats, only thing I didn't do was the Death Wish stuff. Tried a few of them and found them a bit frustrating, so decided to skip that stress. Story is simple but full of charm. Soundtrack is great, and is heavily inspired by Grant Kirkhope and Koji Kondo. I thought Grant did the whole soundtrack, but turns out it was just the ship's theme. Controls are mostly good, though I feel this game sometimes suffers the depth perception issue present in all 3D platformers a little more than it should. My only major complaint is that I wish there were more of the Mario Sunshine inspired platforming levels. There's some fun movement mechanics in this game that I feel could have been utilized a little more here.

Finally, trying to finish up Horizon Zero Dawn. I just completed the Frozen Wilds main story part, just have to go kill 1 more Fireclaw and I think the side missions will be done, unless something gets added after that. I've done all the main game side and story stuff up to the Mountain That Fell quest. I think I just have main story stuff there to finish up, unless more side quests are added later. I do have the quest to get the special armor that needs power cells, I'm assuming you get at least one of the 2 I'm missing in the area for the next quest. For anyone looking to pick this up, here is my one piece of advice: get the ability to notch 3 arrow, and, here's the kicker, ACTUALLY USE IT!!! I went so long forgetting I had that, until I was struggling with the Cheiftain's trial in the DLC. Looked up a video and say how much extra damage it was doing, and it's quickly become my bread and butter.

Been putting some decent time into Final Fantasy X. Got to the water scene and it was great, and I'm currently running around in the Calm Lands, which in terms of enemy encounters, are anything but. I've been trying to level everyone evenly, and since they have to participate in each fight, the common encounters have been more stressful than the boss battles. I've only had one game over due to a petrify lock, but way more close encounters than I'd like to see. I was a little iffy on this game early on, but as the story progresses I've been getting more and more hooked.

That’s good to hear. I bought FFX for the Switch a couple of years ago but was unable to get into it. I just fired up Skyrim for the first time in years and started a new campaign, but maybe I should switch gears and give FFX another go.

I’m still considering whether or not to get Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Actually, let me rephrase that: I’m totally going to buy XC2 if I can get a physical copy for MSRP or less. Another factor is that I’ll have family visiting from abroad for several weeks, so I should pump the breaks on gaming until they leave. That means I won’t be starting an XC2 campaign before April even if I can somehow find a physical copy before then.

That’s good to hear. I bought FFX for the Switch a couple of years ago but was unable to get into it. I just fired up Skyrim for the first time in years and started a new campaign, but maybe I should switch gears and give FFX another go.

I’m still considering whether or not to get Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Actually, let me rephrase that: I’m totally going to buy XC2 if I can get a physical copy for MSRP or less. Another factor is that I’ll have family visiting from abroad for several weeks, so I should pump the breaks on gaming until they leave. That means I won’t be starting an XC2 campaign before April even if I can somehow find a physical copy before then.
I found FFX really hard to get into at first story wise. The combat I think was what kept me going, I like how it uses the simpler turn based formulas of the past, but allows you to swap to other team members like Pokemon, but without having to burn a turn bringing them out.

For anyone playing HZD, the Fireclaw quest IS the final side quest for the DLC. Onward to finish the main game!

I don't remember the last time I was really excited about a Pokemon game, but Arceus is looking really great. Will definitely be trying it out.

Just started Horizon Zero Dawn having got hyped up with the Forbidden West trailers and the lure of ordering a PS5 down the line. An hour or so in and good fun so far.

Back