Everything Video Games!

I quite liked the gameplay but once again I really can’t stand Monolith’s philosophy of female character design. I find it offputting.

It’s probably stopped me from getting deeper into the game than I have.

Hmm yeah I know what you mean. Melia’s bizarre strut (I don’t know how else to describe it) is a poor design choice (I assume it’s a choice given that the other PCs don’t walk like that). And Sharla’s overall design is a total failure (I keep trying to find decent outfits for her but have had no luck so far).

Being a big Evangelion fan I’m somewhat desensitized to fan service; it bothers me, but is usually not a dealbreaker (including in this case).

I could also criticize Sharla’s lack of character depth, but frankly she’s no worse than Reyn or Riki. Melia is actually an interesting character, IMO.

These flaws aside, the gameplay as you said is great. Same with the music and the story. I thought the fetch quests were banal at first but they actually give you a good excuse to explore the world.

Maybe the reason I like this game so much is because it gives me similar vibes to the FFXI (the first Final Fantasy MMORPG): chill pace, massive world, dangerous over-leveled mobs, party where you only control a single character, etc. FFXII was somewhat similar but this actually comes closer.

Hmm yeah I know what you mean. Melia’s bizarre strut (I don’t know how else to describe it) is a poor design choice (I assume it’s a choice given that the other PCs don’t walk like that). And Sharla’s overall design is a total failure (I keep trying to find decent outfits for her but have had no luck so far).

Being a big Evangelion fan I’m somewhat desensitized to fan service; it bothers me, but is usually not a dealbreaker (including in this case).

I could also criticize Sharla’s lack of character depth, but frankly she’s no worse than Reyn or Riki. Melia is actually an interesting character, IMO.

These flaws aside, the gameplay as you said is great. Same with the music and the story. I thought the fetch quests were banal at first but they actually give you a good excuse to explore the world.

Maybe the reason I like this game so much is because it gives me similar vibes to the FFXI (the first Final Fantasy MMORPG): chill pace, massive world, dangerous over-leveled mobs, party where you only control a single character, etc. FFXII was somewhat similar but this actually comes closer.
Yeah, I think I just have to muscle through Sharla. I spent 120 hours completing Xenoblade 2, so clearly I can get over it. I just haven’t quite reached that point yet.

Anyone else ever played Fe?

I just finished it. Beautiful game and design. Reminiscent of the Ori games but more open world and less comprehensive and complex. Only took like 15 hours to complete, probably 20 if you wanted to 100% it with the collectibles. I was kind of sad it was all of a sudden over since there felt like they could have added a few other areas to explore even if it was redundant.

Last edited:
Anyone else ever played Fe?

I just finished it. Beautiful game and design. Reminiscent of the Ori games but more open world and less comprehensive and complex. Only took like 15 hours to complete, probably 20 if you wanted to 100% it with the collectibles. I was kind of sad it was all of a sudden over since there felt like they could have added a few other areas to explore even if it was redundant.
I loved Fe! I buy pretty much any game Zoink releases. Their sidescrollers are super quaint and fun too! (Flipping Death, Zombie Vikings.) I recently started their latest, Lost in Random, on Switch. You can sense a real joy of doing what they do in their games.

Anyone picking up the GTA trilogy remaster? I'm tempted for nostalgia's sake (and Switch portability), but the price is steep for a set of 20 year-old games. There haven't been any official reviews, and it's hard to detect what user critiques are valid are not; people seem very down on the graphics for being crude and cartoony, but the graphics in these games were always crude and cartoony.

Anyone picking up the GTA trilogy remaster? I'm tempted for nostalgia's sake (and Switch portability), but the price is steep for a set of 20 year-old games. There haven't been any official reviews, and it's hard to detect what user critiques are valid are not; people seem very down on the graphics for being crude and cartoony, but the graphics in these games were always crude and cartoony.
San Andreas Remastered is part of Game Pass on the xbox so I'm at least trying that one out.

Initial comments are not good, I'd hold off. They can't even maintain 60 fps in performance mode. Are dropping as low as 30 fps. Sounds like they were incredibly poorly optimized. I'm sure they'll get it fixed but doesn't look great off the hop considering the price.

EDIT - Fuck I'm like the Debbie Downer of this forum aren't I. Everyone's having a great time then I show up all: "Actually it's terrible..." "Actually it's warped..." "Actually that record player is a potato..."

Last edited:
Initial comments are not good, I'd hold off. They can't even maintain 60 fps in performance mode. Are dropping as low as 30 fps. Sounds like they were incredibly poorly optimized. I'm sure they'll get it fixed but doesn't look great off the hop considering the price.

EDIT - Fuck I'm like the Debbie Downer of this forum aren't I. Everyone's having a great time then I show up all: "Actually it's terrible..." "Actually it's warped..." "Actually that record player is a potato..."

I need something fun and aimless to play for the winter but I have no idea what. I mean I could spend another winter/mouse click-clicking my way through the ten millionth Diablo build again but I wouldn’t mind having a fallback.
I started Forza Horizon 5 last night, and it seems like something I could hibernate with for months on end if i wanted to.

I need something fun and aimless to play for the winter but I have no idea what. I mean I could spend another winter/mouse click-clicking my way through the ten millionth Diablo build again but I wouldn’t mind having a fallback.
Skyrim is always a big, but fun, time suck. You can easily put 100 hours into that just wandering around.

Oh man. I forgot I had back burnered that. I think I may have even bought it on a Steam sale at one point but never installed it. (Only thing worse than my record backlog is my Steam backlog)
I have only ever played it like it was intended on consoles. But people have created a ridiculous number of mods for the game that can change/enhance pretty much all aspects of it from the original. That can even be more fun on top of the base game. And since you're on PC it'll probably work better than they do on a console.

I have only ever played it like it was intended on consoles. But people have created a ridiculous number of mods for the game that can change/enhance pretty much all aspects of it from the original. That can even be more fun on top of the base game. And since you're on PC it'll probably work better than they do on a console.
And if not, I’m pretty sure I have a copy of Torchlight II hanging around in that same Steam account so I can break another mouse doing the same thing I currently am but in a different game.

Back