Everything Video Games!

I feel like it's been a while since I rambled on about the games I've been playing. Here's a long overdue update:

I finished Sable a couple of weeks ago. Short review: the most relaxing game I've played this year. Pure exploration bliss. I actually completed this one 100% - all quests, eggs, outfits, bike parts, etc. The game has a ton of jank, but due to the chill nature of the game, at worst, these bugs cost you a small bit of time. The buggiest bit was the bike, but I actually loved this. I would run into random stuff regularly, often sending my bike flipping and flying through the air. It was wildly entertaining. Final thought: I could feel the love that a small team put into this, and the atmosphere and storytelling far overshadowed any negatives I may have had around this one.

I also played through A Plague Tale: Innocence. It's been a while since I played a purely linear, story driven title, and I'm glad I picked this one up. It has simple stealth and combat focused on using a sling, and that sling is used as much/possibly more for puzzles and traversal. Much of the "combat" sections feel like puzzles themselves. No health system means encountering most enemies results in an instant death cutscene. The rat plague is used heavily and very well, and you use light to traverse through a shocking amount of the little buggers. The story ramps way up and gets truly crazy by the end. Looking forward to the sequel now!

I completed Narita Boy the other night. I feel like this one is slipping under a lot of people's radar. An 80's inspired platformer with beat em up mechanics. I've seen some reviews calling it a Metroidvania, but it felt fairly linear to me. Most places are locked by keys you have to find, and the areas that require a certain move to get past don't really show up until around the time you get said move. There was little to no backtracking to previous areas, just some small exploration in whatever area you are currently in. Combat was very deliberate and satisfying. It starts easy enough, and you can usually mash at the beginning to get through. However, by the end, the challenges get challenging, but doable. Nothing worth throwing a controller over here, just practice a few times and learn the move sets, and time your moments carefully, and even the final boss isn't too much trouble. The art style is really cool and the soundtrack is enjoyable. I love the VHS style filter on everything, really helps immerse you in the time period. Story is touching, and while it's completed, sets up the possibility of a sequel. Here's hoping they get that chance. If you have Game Pass, there's no reason not to give it a shot.

Almost done, couple quick bits.

Back 4 Blood is fun, especially with friends, and scratches that Left 4 Dead itch. Worst AI I think I've ever seen in a game, so even playing with randos is an improvementk. Biggest complaint - all chat comes through in the game, so if you are in a party with others not in the game, the people you are playing with can hear you.

Still playing Binding of Isaac regularly. Got burned out with Jacob and Esau, so I switched over to the Tainted characters. I'm having fun with the game again (and getting wins). Working on Tainted Maggie right now.

Also still playing Fallout 76, still enjoying the new content and doing all the daily stuff. Stealth is broken as hell, and I love it.

Next up is going to be Final Fantasy X/X2. More on that at a later time

I finished Sable a couple of weeks ago. Short review: the most relaxing game I've played this year. Pure exploration bliss. I actually completed this one 100% - all quests, eggs, outfits, bike parts, etc. The game has a ton of jank, but due to the chill nature of the game, at worst, these bugs cost you a small bit of time. The buggiest bit was the bike, but I actually loved this. I would run into random stuff regularly, often sending my bike flipping and flying through the air. It was wildly entertaining. Final thought: I could feel the love that a small team put into this, and the atmosphere and storytelling far overshadowed any negatives I may have had around this one.

I also played through A Plague Tale: Innocence. It's been a while since I played a purely linear, story driven title, and I'm glad I picked this one up. It has simple stealth and combat focused on using a sling, and that sling is used as much/possibly more for puzzles and traversal. Much of the "combat" sections feel like puzzles themselves. No health system means encountering most enemies results in an instant death cutscene. The rat plague is used heavily and very well, and you use light to traverse through a shocking amount of the little buggers. The story ramps way up and gets truly crazy by the end. Looking forward to the sequel now!
I kind of gave up Sable at least for a little time. I got frustrated with getting to the top of one of the map guy towers and then I couldn't even speak with him. I'll probably come back to it when I have less in my queue.

Also Plague Tale is so good! It's very spooky and you have a genuine feeling of "oh shit! oh shit! oh shit!" throughout the game. Lots of fun. I heard the sequel is supposed to be more open world (!) which I'm interested to see how that works

I kind of gave up Sable at least for a little time. I got frustrated with getting to the top of one of the map guy towers and then I couldn't even speak with him. I'll probably come back to it when I have less in my queue.

Also Plague Tale is so good! It's very spooky and you have a genuine feeling of "oh shit! oh shit! oh shit!" throughout the game. Lots of fun. I heard the sequel is supposed to be more open world (!) which I'm interested to see how that works
Sorry to hear about not being able to talk to the map guy. I'm glad I didn't get any sequence breaking bugs, that would have frustrated me and I probably would have quit as well. I did initially try playing on Xbox One, but had framerate issues so I switched to PC. Seems much more stable there. There was also regular patches being sent out as I played through, hopefully they fixed some of these issues.

Also, I agree with Plague Tale, the atmosphere is spooky and often grotesquely horrifying (THE PIGS). I still remember the first time you encounter the rats very vividly. Truly horrifying.

Anyone know of any good PS5/PS4 games in the style of Until Dawn? I loved that game and would like to dive in to something similar. I am terrible at FPS games so I usually stay away from those but enjoy getting in to a good story.

Anyone know of any good PS5/PS4 games in the style of Until Dawn? I loved that game and would like to dive in to something similar. I am terrible at FPS games so I usually stay away from those but enjoy getting in to a good story.
The Dark Pictures Anthology

it is made by the same studio if I remember correctly. Personally haven’t played it but I hear the 3rd title is pretty good.

Until Dawn's developer is building out The Dark Pictures Anthology, which I've been meaning to get into. The entries have had middling reception so far, but the latest release from last week (House of Ashes) seems to have caught on rather well.

I'd also throw in recos for Detroit: Become Human, Heavy Rain, and Observer.

Granted, I've only played the first couple hours of UD and need to move that off my backlog.

EDIT: House of Ashes is actually the newest DPA game and it's got much better reception overall. (Little Hope was second, and had good story reception but struggled mostly technically in available co-op gameplay based on reviews.)

Last edited:
Just popping in to say that I’m about 40 hours into Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition (on the Switch) and I’m absolutely in love with it. There’s a steep learning curve but the story is so compelling that it motivates you to keep going. A joy to play.

I rescued Princess Peach in Mario Odyssey this weekend. The entire game is pure joy. I thought I did a pretty thorough job of collecting power moons along the way; typically having around 30 or more before moving to the next stage. Apparently, I was just kidding myself, though.

I switched my pre-order of Pokemon Brilliant Diamond from Bull Moose to Gamestop.

That way I can pick it up on release day.

The last couple switch games I ordered from Bull Moose I ended up canceling and buying in store at GameStop because Bull Moose didn't get any inventory in for release day.

Nintendo is notorious for having enough product to meet demand and only the big players are guaranteed to secure inventory for release.

I rescued Princess Peach in Mario Odyssey this weekend. The entire game is pure joy. I thought I did a pretty thorough job of collecting power moons along the way; typically having around 30 or more before moving to the next stage. Apparently, I was just kidding myself, though.
That game is so great. I did 3 playthroughs, the last one my completist run where I got all the power moons (including the self-punishing one where you need to do 100 jump ropes). Excellent stuff overall.

That game is so great. I did 3 playthroughs, the last one my completist run where I got all the power moons (including the self-punishing one where you need to do 100 jump ropes). Excellent stuff overall.
that stupid jump rope moon was the most frustrating gaming moment for me of 2017. it is the sole reason why i'll probably never do a 100% play-through of odyssey ever again (even if i love the game)

that stupid jump rope moon was the most frustrating gaming moment for me of 2017. it is the sole reason why i'll probably never do a 100% play-through of odyssey ever again (even if i love the game)
Yes, there are a couple of silly moons. But the few parts of the game that are actually challenging were a ton of fun
especially the Dark and Darker sides

Series S arrived last night. Still getting to grips with the UI: finding it a bit fiddly, and had a few issues with Australian location vs UK PayPal. All up and running now though, but didn’t have many good games downloaded. Doom Eternal and Halo are on the machine, with Forza Horizon 5 on the way.

I feel like I did a good job of doing almost anything and everything in the Sand Kingdom only to open up the menu and saw there was like 2/3s of all the moons left undiscovered. That's when I realized I wasn't going to 100% the game.

I'm still not done with it yet, but I need to hop back in and finish. I'm only just at New Donk City.

I feel like I did a good job of doing almost anything and everything in the Sand Kingdom only to open up the menu and saw there was like 2/3s of all the moons left undiscovered. That's when I realized I wasn't going to 100% the game.

I'm still not done with it yet, but I need to hop back in and finish. I'm only just at New Donk City.
There’s new stuff that only pops up AFTER you “beat” the game.

Just popping in to say that I’m about 40 hours into Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition (on the Switch) and I’m absolutely in love with it. There’s a steep learning curve but the story is so compelling that it motivates you to keep going. A joy to play.
I quite liked the gameplay but once again I really can’t stand Monolith’s philosophy of female character design. I find it offputting.

It’s probably stopped me from getting deeper into the game than I have.

Back