Everything Video Games!

finished dread 100% on normal mode in about 20 hours, which is the usual time for me whenever I play a new metroid.

obviously, game is pretty great and i loved it. however, there was ONE thing that i absolutely hated it and it’s that they changed dashing/speed boosting severely in this game. pressing on the joystick for speed boosting just felt so off and annoying and the fact that there’s triple the amount of speed-boost puzzles as previous games on this one (some of which are way too complicated) definitely stressed me out. clearly a huge thorn on what’s otherwise a pretty near-perfect game.

also found it really funny that mercurySteam really went with remaking Metroid Fusion by making this game way too similar to it. if it wasn’t for the emmi zones and the finale, this game would have almost been fusion 2.0 😆

now, onto hard mode and optimizing my PB runs for it

finished Metroid, started Tetris Effect Connected.

Metroid was great..I sucked with some of the boss battles and got lost a couple of times but overall it was a gem of a game.
Wow! Either you guys are amazing at the game or I'm a complete noob. I'm nowhere near finished. 5 hrs in and I'm only at 18% completion. 😳

finished Metroid, started Tetris Effect Connected.

Metroid was great..I sucked with some of the boss battles and got lost a couple of times but overall it was a gem of a game.
Tetris Effect is........WOW! I could only imagine how insane it must be in VR.

I was playing a bit of Tetris Effect Connected last month. Got as far as the Area 7 Metamorphosis in Journey Mode and could NOT beat it for the life of me. Eventually gave up.

But holy shit, the music and background effects are INCREDIBLE

Wow! Either you guys are amazing at the game or I'm a complete noob. I'm nowhere near finished. 5 hrs in and I'm only at 18% completion. 😳
does it tell you how much of the game you have completed or a % of the items found? because I don't remember seeing my completion % progress, just the items in each zone.

if it's just the completion of items found then don't feel so bad as I was at something like 51% when I beat the game, and it took me just over 15 hours to finish (I was completely lost for two nights with no forward progress so that padded my play time by a couple of hours)

Last edited:
I was playing a bit of Tetris Effect Connected last month. Got as far as the Area 7 Metamorphosis in Journey Mode and could NOT beat it for the life of me. Eventually gave up.

But holy shit, the music and background effects are INCREDIBLE
I heard that it gets really punishing at the end but I only played it twice and started all over when playing the second time since I had a better understanding of the Zone mechanic and wasn't playing with headphones the first time.

BUT HOLY SHIT, last night I smoked a couple of bowls, turned off the lights, cranked up the headphones, and was launched into outer space...it's definitely a trip.

does it tell you how much of the game you have completed or a % of the items found? because I don't remember seeing my completion % progress, just the items in each zone.

if it's just the completion of items found then don't feel so bad as I was at something like 51% when I beat the game, and it took me just over 15 hours to finish (I was completely lost for two nights with no forward progress so that padded my play time by a couple of hours)
You're right it's the percentage of items found and not the actual progress made in the game. As well, I'm not sure we're you got lost but I'm currently stuck and running around in circles. 😒

You're right it's the percentage of items found and not the actual progress made in the game. As well, I'm not sure we're you got lost but I'm currently stuck and running around in circles. 😒
Explore that map. The game tends to blatantly block off areas you can't go to nudge you in the direction. One of the (very small) complaints about this game is that it kind of railroads where to go and the exploration isn't as open or fun as, say, Metroid Prime. Still rules though.

Explore that map. The game tends to blatantly block off areas you can't go to nudge you in the direction. One of the (very small) complaints about this game is that it kind of railroads where to go and the exploration isn't as open or fun as, say, Metroid Prime. Still rules though.
@Hollywood I am going to piggyback off this comment with a non-spolier or a very lightly touching on spoiler territory advice that you can choose to view or not, but again I wrote it to be as close to not being a spoiler as possible:

as @ayayrawn noted the game basically pushes you where you need to go next. If the game introduces a new area to explore, go. you can always come back to where you were later, as a matter of fact you most certainly will anyway, but it can become a big headache if you forget how you got to somewhere new and have to exhaust every possibility to get back there.

This is good to know. My local library lends out Switch games, so I may eventually be able to borrow Metroid from them and try to beat it in a week.

hot take: I dig what Rockstar did here the more I watch this. don't get me wrong, I'm not blown away by what they did, but they certainly retained the look and feel of those old PS2 games which is kind of cool. the new environments and lighting look great, the characters look fine and somehow look cartoony or almost cell shaded at times, but overall it seems to come together nicely. the upgraded controls and quality of life improvements are a great touch as well.

I've messed around with some of these before here and there but I never owned or actually played any of these so I'm pretty excited to get this. I definitely will wait for the physical, probably request it as a Christmas gift. I just hope that it all runs good on the Switch.

Last edited:
managed to get just over 3 hours on hard mode on metroid dread!!

0C292448-5C43-4EBB-8DDA-54A75859703C.jpeg

i am fine with this time for now, but i would have been much happier had i been able to finish this one 100% all items (this one was about 75% but i cant really tell bc this was all in one go)

i think i am officially going to be speedrunning 100% category for normal mode and hard mode now. game is quite a lot of fun, and i already have had to memorize all of the maps and learn the glitches for necessary sequence breaks just to get this time, so i might as well go all out with the 100% categories.

I got to GameStop at 8:00am yesterday morning. They opened at 10. I was able to get the one of the Pokemon Celebrations TCG Boxes. They only had 2.

Also, with being PS5 drop day there were 30 or so people lines up in front of me already at 8:00am. 1 person in line in front of me got the first one, and I got the last one.

With some people already lined up for PS5 the afternoon before I never even considered I would have a shot at getting one. To my surprise they gave me a ticket in line to get one and I said fuck it, just landed some a couple freelance jobs, one of which will have a retainer going forward so I grabbed a PS5. They had 60 of them in stock for the drop.

By the time they opened those 60 were already gone and people who didn't already have a ticket in line were told sorry, sold out.

The ticket number I had for the PS5 was 23, to my amazement, a lot of people in front came with a buddy or SO and were only getting one PS5. The line moved incredibly slow. They were only allowing 2 people in the store at a time. They opened at 9:50, ten minutes early. And it was noon by the time I was in the store. It took on average 6 to 8 minutes per person getting a PS5 in line. Longer if they were browsing games and accessories while in the store.

The PS5 came with a $50 GameStop Gift Card, 1 year of PlayStation Plus, Farcry6 and Ghost of Tsushima: Directors Cut.

I used the $50 GiftCard to get my $50 Pokemon TCG Box for free. Well, not quite. It was $49.99 plus tax.

I have the PS5 all hooked up now and bought a game that really called out to me when I was looking up recent releases.

Kena: Bridge of Spirits Deluxe

I got to GameStop at 8:00am yesterday morning. They opened at 10. I was able to get the one of the Pokemon Celebrations TCG Boxes. They only had 2.

Also, with being PS5 drop day there were 30 or so people lines up in front of me already at 8:00am. 1 person in line in front of me got the first one, and I got the last one.

With some people already lined up for PS5 the afternoon before I never even considered I would have a shot at getting one. To my surprise they gave me a ticket in line to get one and I said fuck it, just landed some a couple freelance jobs, one of which will have a retainer going forward so I grabbed a PS5. They had 60 of them in stock for the drop.

By the time they opened those 60 were already gone and people who didn't already have a ticket in line were told sorry, sold out.

The ticket number I had for the PS5 was 23, to my amazement, a lot of people in front came with a buddy or SO and were only getting one PS5. The line moved incredibly slow. They were only allowing 2 people in the store at a time. They opened at 9:50, ten minutes early. And it was noon by the time I was in the store. It took on average 6 to 8 minutes per person getting a PS5 in line. Longer if they were browsing games and accessories while in the store.

The PS5 came with a $50 GameStop Gift Card, 1 year of PlayStation Plus, Farcry6 and Ghost of Tsushima: Directors Cut.

I used the $50 GiftCard to get my $50 Pokemon TCG Box for free. Well, not quite. It was $49.99 plus tax.

I have the PS5 all hooked up now and bought a game that really called out to me when I was looking up recent releases.

Kena: Bridge of Spirits Deluxe

wow, this is so great!! i wanna get a PS5, but would prefer having more funds to secure it first.
glad you were able to get the console even if that wasn’t the first item on your shopping list 😆

wow, this is so great!! i wanna get a PS5, but would prefer having more funds to secure it first.
glad you were able to get the console even if that wasn’t the first item on your shopping list 😆

Glad I asked about the Pokemon Cards when they gave out numbers for the PS5s. The ended up giving out numbers for the Pokemon Cards as well as they knew that was a limited drop that was also highly sought after.

The limit of 2 people in the store at a time was just for people buying PS5s. Anyone could come in and shop for other items. So having a number for the Pokemon Cards, they had them reserved for me.

The graphics are so far blowing me away and the HDR is outstanding. So much better than HDR/DV on Netflix.

So far really digging Kena as well.

Just snagged The Witcher 3: Complete Edition for $10 thanks to Deku Deals. I played the entire base game last year when it was on GamePass but hadn’t bothered buying the DLCs which I’ve heard are very good. $10 for everything seems like a no brainer 🤑
Both DLCs are excellent. Heart of Stone is very compelling and has some of the best boss fights in the game, and there’s great content in Toussaint as well.

Glad I asked about the Pokemon Cards when they gave out numbers for the PS5s. The ended up giving out numbers for the Pokemon Cards as well as they knew that was a limited drop that was also highly sought after.

The limit of 2 people in the store at a time was just for people buying PS5s. Anyone could come in and shop for other items. So having a number for the Pokemon Cards, they had them reserved for me.

The graphics are so far blowing me away and the HDR is outstanding. So much better than HDR/DV on Netflix.

Was going to get a PS5, but it’s difficult to get one here. Ended up getting an XBox Series S instead. Have to wait a week or so until it gets delivered.

Happy to wait until a PS5 slim comes out. I hope it’s smaller by that point!

Did you do Astro's Playroom to start? Never would have thought a controller tutorial game would be so good but it is!

Back