Everything Video Games!

Nintendo Switch Online Expansion with N64 & Genesis games comes out to $50/year USD — out Oct. 25.

It includes the base tier, so basically a price hike of $30. Might be a stretch, but if it means they put more games on the service AND upgrade it to be more user friendly (looking at you, party chat), then it could be worth it.

If you're still playing Animal Crossing, then the DLC inclusion kinda makes it a no-brainer.

EDIT: Controllers are up on the Nintendo Store: N64 | Genesis

why does an extra $30 per year, or $2.50 per month, seem like too much? I don't know why, but it just does to me

why does an extra $30 per year, or $2.50 per month, seem like too much? I don't know why, but it just does to me
I feel like they could've easily added more legacy games to the membership at launch. IDK, I also feel like it seems too much, and have been trying to figure out why, and this is all I was able to come up with on my end.

Also it's kind of strange to me how much of the value seems to be chalked up to getting the ACNH DLC as part of it, because that's really only a good justification for the price during the first year...I guess maybe their thought is that in a year there will be a lot more titles available to play to make the renewal for another year more attractive? Regardless, for now I'm just gonna stick to my basic sub.

Since I was going to be buying the Animal Crossing DLC I'm not upset with the price for the 64/sega games. If I wasn't using the Animal Crossing content I wouldn't jump either, curious if I lose the DLC if I don't resub to that level of the subscription next year?

The price is not exorbitant if you're committed to play specific N64 games over the next year (since I just fired up Xenoblade Chronicles for the first time earlier this week, I know my next 4-6 months are shot). Beyond that, I personally detest the idea of paying for something that I may later be unable to access. This is why I buy records, and also why I buy cartridges for most of my Switch games.

i have way too many games (that i've already bought) on my backlog for me to also buy this $50 online expansion. plus, the games i would actually play for the n64 like banjo & Kazooie aren't even releasing at launch, so no point in getting it right now. though, i might not even get it at all bc i still feel like the price is such a rip-off

i have way too many games (that i've already bought) on my backlog for me to also buy this $50 online expansion. plus, the games i would actually play for the n64 like banjo & Kazooie aren't even releasing at launch, so no point in getting it right now. though, i might not even get it at all bc i still feel like the price is such a rip-off
I was listening to a Nintendo Life video discussing the new plan and they hypothesized that maybe Nintendo will include additional DLCs to the Expansion Pack and not just Animal Crossing, such as BotW2 DLC and/or include smaller games like Pushmo (that's a pretty great game that I haven't thought about in forever). that would certainly increase the value of the $50 per year price, but probably just wishful thinking.

I was listening to a Nintendo Life video discussing the new plan and they hypothesized that maybe Nintendo will include additional DLCs to the Expansion Pack and not just Animal Crossing, such as BotW2 DLC and/or include smaller games like Pushmo (that's a pretty great game that I haven't thought about in forever). that would certainly increase the value of the $50 per year price, but probably just wishful thinking.
if this ends up being true, i’ll hate it.

the idea of being forced to pay for an online multiplayer experience just so you can get additional content for single-player-based games (as opposed to getting that DLC content by itself) seems so whack.

This tweet seems to illustrate better why the switch online expansion is being priced the way it is:

but after having seen it, i gotta say, why couldn’t Nintendo just make the expansion be Game Boy (Advance) games instead of Sega????? there are wayyy more first-party titles you could pull from there (LIKE METROID ZERO MISSION AND FUSION HELLO?) and not have to deal with as much licensing fees as with sega. truly dont get it 🤦

the idea of being forced to pay for an online multiplayer experience just so you can get additional content for single-player-based games (as opposed to getting that DLC content by itself) seems so whack.
per their hypothesis, the Expansion Pack wouldn't be the only way to get DLC, but the cost would include various DLC. but again, it's a YouTube channel making content and nothing to take as fact.

You CAN get the DLC by itself though. I don't imagine they'll ever put them behind online only.

You CAN get the DLC by itself though. I don't imagine they'll ever put them behind online only.

yea, i know AC dlc is not online-exclusive, but im just saying hypothetically if future games get their DLC content locked behind online service, that'd suck.

I started playing Pokemon Trading Card Game Online today.

Been picking up some booster packs every couple of months since the start of summer and used my codes redeem cards online.

You will all get a laugh out of this. RenegadeMonster was taken, and I thought I clicked on a version of RenegadeMonster in the examples not realizing it said "RenegadeMomster". Whoops, and there is no way to change it. I emailed support, but as far as I can tell, you can't change your screen name :cry:

In other news, I got a super rare card in one of the 3 packs I picked up today.

1634424465394.jpeg

Secret Rainbow Art trainer card.

I started playing Pokemon Trading Card Game Online today.

Been picking up some booster packs every couple of months since the start of summer and used my codes redeem cards online.

You will all get a laugh out of this. RenegadeMonster was taken, and I thought I clicked on a version of RenegadeMonster in the examples not realizing it said "RenegadeMomster". Whoops, and there is no way to change it. I emailed support, but as far as I can tell, you can't change your screen name :cry:

In other news, I got a super rare card in one of the 3 packs I picked up today.

View attachment 115066

Secret Rainbow Art trainer card.
Lean into it. Be the best RenegadeMomster you can be. RenegadeMomster is the evolved version of RenegadeMonster.

finished dread 100% on normal mode in about 20 hours, which is the usual time for me whenever I play a new metroid.

obviously, game is pretty great and i loved it. however, there was ONE thing that i absolutely hated it and it’s that they changed dashing/speed boosting severely in this game. pressing on the joystick for speed boosting just felt so off and annoying and the fact that there’s triple the amount of speed-boost puzzles as previous games on this one (some of which are way too complicated) definitely stressed me out. clearly a huge thorn on what’s otherwise a pretty near-perfect game.

also found it really funny that mercurySteam really went with remaking Metroid Fusion by making this game way too similar to it. if it wasn’t for the emmi zones and the finale, this game would have almost been fusion 2.0 😆

now, onto hard mode and optimizing my PB runs for it

Amazon's got a sale today on Xbox digital codes for a lot of Ubisoft and EA games. If anyone's been looking to grab an Assassin's Creed title, today might be your day! Because that's most of what's listed for the Ubisoft sale. But Valhalla Ultimate Edition for $60 is totally worth it IMO.

I was at Gamestop during my lunch break to pick up some pokemon trading cards. They had them in stock at my local store for the first time since summer. There were already 2 people camped out in front of the store for PS5s. Select Game Stops will have PS5's in store, first come first serve tomorrow and my store is one of them.

This is eep because tomorrow a special limited release for pokemons 25th anniversary, a pokemon trading cards special collections box is also dropping. My GameStop only got two boxes and they are first come first serve as well. What are the odds if I go there in the morning that the dozens of people who will surely beat me there for PS5s will also snag up the limited edition pokemon boxes.

Back