Everything Video Games!

20201119_161251.jpg
Last night after about five pints I played Golden Tee. I shot 3 under on the front nine, then I had another pint and shot 25 over on the back. So I think I've fairly accurately ascertained at what point in my personal drinking process that everything goes completely to hell. I did not however, put my hand through the screen while using the trackball so I consider that a small victory.

If your internet is solid, it's not bad, honestly. If I was living in some snazzy apartment in New York where I didn't want gaming consoles or a bulky computer marring the aesthetic of my bachelor pad, it would be my go to console, especially if they continue to add new titles. You don't have to worry about buying a console or upgrading a computer, you only need a simple wireless controller that's easy to store, all your games are instantly available (depending on that internet) and there's not downloading, installing, or updating. You can stop and save and bounce out whenever you want and bounce right back in where you left off as easy as if you pressed pause and left the room for a few minutes.

As someone who has a pretty fancy PC that in my opinion adds to the aesthetic of my basement, and prefer to have a little more reassurance that the games I'm buying will always belong to me and be available to me even if the online platform fails and folds... It's pretty useless.

I am a founder, though I cancelled my paid sub, and I do work for Google.

Excellent. Well, the free Chromecast doesn't hurt.

Honestly, I was in for the free Chromecast alone. I'll do some free games during my trial though!

mine is arriving next week. if you get a chance to try it out let me know what you think of it.
Setup was a tad frustrating. Couldn't figure out for the longest time that the connect controller screen puts the list of available devices below the edge of the screen. Also almost missed the Chromecast on that connection screen as well. Blends in too much! So if you're stuck with the blinking orange light, hit refresh on the app screen with the controller code and scroll down to select the controller.

Gave Hello Neighbor a quick try. Only a couple laggy moments but our entertainment center is also not super close to our WiFi router. My partner is playing Panzer Dragoon rn without issue.

My switch finally arrived!!

Surprise inside was the fact that there was a Pokémon Sword (!!) game in the case. I wanted to eventually get one of the Pokémon games so that was nice. I have no idea if the eBay seller meant to leave it in there or not. I have a feeling they didn’t because after purchasing I went to their page and saw that they were also selling that game. I thought about buying it but I wanted to wait. If they message me asking I’ll let them know it was sent with it, but if they don’t, I’m not going to say anything 🤫

All in all I have Smash, Mario Kart, Crash Team Racing, Zelda: BotW, and Mario Odyssey (my friend gave me a DL code he wasn’t using for $40). I have this entire week off with nowhere to go so this will be enjoyable 😎

My wife got me Ghost of Tsushima last week for my birthday, and I started playing this weekend. After 5 hours or so, it's pretty easy to see how this one was nominated for game of the year.

The combat system is challenging and satisfying, and each encounter can quickly lead to death, even on the Medium difficulty setting. The upgrade options make it seem like the combat gets really deep, so I'm hoping things stay fresh throughout. If not, I'm pretty sure the standoffs you can do at the beginning of some encounters will always be satisfying. This encounter is a little quicktime-like event where you challenge an enemy to a standoff. You hold the attack button, and then release when they attempt to strike, leading to that iconic single strike from the holster to down your foe. You get the option to go in katana a-blazing, or you can use stealth. However, stealth is against the samurai code, and the game makes sure you know it. There are situations where if you don't use stealth, hostages will be killed, so it's a grey area in those instances. Outside of those, I try to hold to the code and face enemies head on. However, I found a dojo that needed liberated. I was able to get on the perimeter wall and scout around before engaging. I found some cages, but couldn't tell if there were people inside. I went in and stealth killed the two guards near the cages, and a cutscene triggered out of nowhere to a scene from Jin's childhood, reminding me of the code. It was completely out of nowhere and I haven't had it since in any other stealth kills. Really cool moment, and when I found the cages empty, I went ham on the rest of the soldiers.

This is an open world game with the usual shenanigans, but the game is designed around it, and designed well. Fast travel is available once the open world aspect begins, and you can travel to anywhere on the map you've visited. The collectibles are built around the world. You find shrines, lighthouses, information and artifacts related to the Mongols, and other things that would be naturally found in this world. The world itself helps guide you. Birds, foxes, and a firefly will guide you to some of these collectibles. There's a waypoint system, but instead of a laser or ghost light, or something else unnatural, it's the wind, which will blow in the direction you should be heading. I don't think I've been this impressed with how naturally this system fits the game world since Dead Space. Resource gathering is very simple, and instead of very specific pieces that you to find, it's very general - supplies, iron, steel, linen, leather, bamboo, etc. These can be easily found through normal exploration, though there are some rarer materials like silk that seem to come from story related completion. Overall, the list of what you gather seems much smaller. The world is varied and interesting, and travel feels quick, even on foot. Basically, everything about the open world experience seems streamlined and natural.

I won't talk about the story to avoid spoilers, but I'm enjoying it so far. It feels like a loving homage to old Samurai movies. As a bonus, there is a game mode called Kurosawa mode that applies a black and white filter to give the world that classic film feel. I guess my only complaint is how the story missions begin at the beginning of the game. You get multiple missions straight away, and the one that seems the most urgent is all the way on the other side of the map. There doesn't seem to be any penalty for what order you do things, so I've put that one off to explore and work my way over there.

Alright, I've talked too much for today. I'll add more along my journey.

My switch finally arrived!!

Surprise inside was the fact that there was a Pokémon Sword (!!) game in the case. I wanted to eventually get one of the Pokémon games so that was nice. I have no idea if the eBay seller meant to leave it in there or not. I have a feeling they didn’t because after purchasing I went to their page and saw that they were also selling that game. I thought about buying it but I wanted to wait. If they message me asking I’ll let them know it was sent with it, but if they don’t, I’m not going to say anything 🤫

All in all I have Smash, Mario Kart, Crash Team Racing, Zelda: BotW, and Mario Odyssey (my friend gave me a DL code he wasn’t using for $40). I have this entire week off with nowhere to go so this will be enjoyable 😎
Forgot how stimulating Nintendo games are. These should really have a setting to turn on more “relaxing” music because holy hell. I’ll have to adjust my settings to keep all music at a minimum. I really appreciate BotW without any music while you’re running around.

Back