Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I've actually been going back and forth on what I want as a set of headphones while on the go. Most of my listening is done on a train to and from work and I thought I convinced myself to do the sony 1000mx3. I think I changed my mind a bit and am now thinking about the Sony mdr v6. 1) they are cheaper, 2) they don't require charging, and 3) they sound good from what I've read. Yea they don't have anc, can take calls, or look great but I'm OK with that.

Also I've got the senns HD 6xx from Drop and a Schiit Magni 3. I really really like that combo, I wish I got more headphone listens in.
i will need someone to do a kind of sound leak test to make that the actual sound leak isn't that bad on open backs and then i'll think of them

but if my parents could hear it in another room with the door even partially open. or they just dont work for electronic, pop, ambient, or hip hop music. i can't do open back headphones (i need a versatile pair with a rich soundscape that has petty good mids and bass, since i mostly listen to music with a lot of that)

I just did that leak test I promised earlier. I put my Grados on a pillow, cranked some Rammstein, and walked away. They were pretty clear but noticably quieter than wearing them when I was next to them, barely audible at the door to the room, silent when I partially closed the door, and silent from the next room. When I put them back on, I figured the volume was probably a bit too high (not that I was inclined to turn it down, of course).

Hi all!

I'm completely new to the vinyl scene and have been doing tons of reading on turntables, preamps, amps, speakers, etc and I'm about to go cross eyed. Figured it was time to join the community and get some help sorting this all out.

So far I have:
Turntable: Fluance RT85
Preamp: Schiit Mani

After that I started to spin my wheels on where to go from there. I thought of buying some powered speakers like the Klipsch R-51PM and call it good but the more I read the more I saw people recommending getting an amp and some passive speakers.
I've seen the NAD C326BEE recommended several times and I could swing the cost of a refurbed one but I've also seen the Marantz PM5005 mentioned as a refurb with the same cost. Not sure if one is clearly better than the other or if they are both good and there are minor differences or if it would really come down to how they work with the speakers that are picked.
Speaking of speakers.... I'd initially thought the ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 would be a good starter set but the Polk Audio LSiM707 showed up earlier in this thread for a killer price and I'm being tempted by them... would either of the amps I mentioned be able to push them?

Sorry if my thoughts are a bit scattered!

I appreciate any guidance!

Is a Subwoofer worth it? If so, what is a good/inexpensive subwoofer to pair with the NAD 326Bee and ELAC B6.2 speakers? I see the Polk Audio PSW 10” on Amazon and it has great reviews..any thoughts/opinions?

Hi all!

I'm completely new to the vinyl scene and have been doing tons of reading on turntables, preamps, amps, speakers, etc and I'm about to go cross eyed. Figured it was time to join the community and get some help sorting this all out.

So far I have:
Turntable: Fluance RT85
Preamp: Schiit Mani

After that I started to spin my wheels on where to go from there. I thought of buying some powered speakers like the Klipsch R-51PM and call it good but the more I read the more I saw people recommending getting an amp and some passive speakers.
I've seen the NAD C326BEE recommended several times and I could swing the cost of a refurbed one but I've also seen the Marantz PM5005 mentioned as a refurb with the same cost. Not sure if one is clearly better than the other or if they are both good and there are minor differences or if it would really come down to how they work with the speakers that are picked.
Speaking of speakers.... I'd initially thought the ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 would be a good starter set but the Polk Audio LSiM707 showed up earlier in this thread for a killer price and I'm being tempted by them... would either of the amps I mentioned be able to push them?

Sorry if my thoughts are a bit scattered!

I appreciate any guidance!
On paper the NAD should be able to get handle the 707s. The fact that it's spec'd for 2ohm dips is a great thing. I haven't heard this combo though, so grain of salt there.

One other good thing about the 707s is they will scale up with amps significantly. You could feel comfortable pairing certain five figure amps up with the 707s before you've really maxed them out.

The Elacs are killer, but they simply are not on the full range level of the 707s.

Is a Subwoofer worth it? If so, what is a good/inexpensive subwoofer to pair with the NAD 326Bee and ELAC B6.2 speakers? I see the Polk Audio PSW 10” on Amazon and it has great reviews..any thoughts/opinions?
I liked my SVS. If you can hold out till black Friday, they have been pretty consistent about bringing back the NDS 12 for black Friday the last couple years.

Pulled the trigger on the factory refurbished NAD 326BEEE Integrated amp thanks to all those that guided me and answered all my questions. @Joe Mac almost one year later and I will now have a "stereo" components no more Home Theater AVR, now I have to decide if I want to use two sets of speakers for the left and right channels or some sort of switcher like we discussed before.

On paper the NAD should be able to get handle the 707s. The fact that it's spec'd for 2ohm dips is a great thing. I haven't heard this combo though, so grain of salt there.

One other good thing about the 707s is they will scale up with amps significantly. You could feel comfortable pairing certain five figure amps up with the 707s before you've really maxed them out.

The Elacs are killer, but they simply are not on the full range level of the 707s.
*fingers in ears* LALALALALALA NOT LISTENING LALALALALA. I LOVE MY ELACS LALALALALA.

I followed displayname advice on the SVS NDS 12 and couldn't be happier. I listen to hip hop and classic rock and even when highly intoxicated rarely go above 40% volume on the sub so plenty of power. I only have one too.

A Sherwood RD6105
Budget is ideally under $500. I could always put the remainder into accessories or towards a new amp. I'm just not sure of the need or usefulness of Technics 1200 for comparison.

A Sherwood RD6105
Budget is ideally under $500. I could always put the remainder into accessories or towards a new amp. I'm just not sure of the need or usefulness of Technics 1200 for comparison.
Is $500 your total budget for a system or just for the Turntable? I apologize if I missed the info. Just to add a some perspective to the mix, the Onkyo TX-8220 is a forum favorite for those on a budget, it has a built in pre-amp so you don't have to worry about that for the moment.

A Sherwood RD6105

True but that’s a bit of a dog of a table, the preamp is awful and even if you aren’t using it, colours the sound. I’d look at the AT-LP5 if you want an audio technical or a u turn maybe too.

Your amp doesn’t appear to have a phono stage so you’ll need one built into the table or separate. With the lp5 there is one built into the table. The u turn gives you the option of none/built in/separate, personally I’d pick the separate.

$500 total budget. I actually need a 5.1 setup and while I've been impressed with Onkyo in the past, the 2 channel you recommend won't cut it.
I'll look into the other tables that were recommended. I think having the preamp in table or receiver will work best but I'll have to find one that's clean.

$500 total budget. I actually need a 5.1 setup and while I've been impressed with Onkyo in the past, the 2 channel you recommend won't cut it.
I'll look into the other tables that were recommended. I think having the preamp in table or receiver will work best but I'll have to find one that's clean.
My bad, didn't know your TT was going into an AV system.

So I'm working from home most days now, and it has me using my office system again. And with more use comes the upgrade itch!

The system will not be using vinyl. It's really background and mood music while I'm working on things. But I get several calls and have meetings throughout the day, so constantly starting and stopping records isn't really realistic. Right now I'm currently only using BT, and the system is on top of a bookshelf (Sony AVR and Pioneer speakers from late 90s/early 2000s).

For the time being, I think it's going to stay on the bookshelf, but I am interested in possibly moving towards smaller components that could potentially be moved into a desktop setup someday. The PS Audio Sprout100, Dayens Ampino, and other micro integrated solutions seem interesting. I've also kicked around the idea of some JBL 306 monitors, but that seems like more of a project then I'm ready to commit to right now.

The PS Audio Sprout/Elac combo seems the most appealing right now. Fits cleanly on the bookshelf, but wouldn't be hard to move into a desktop options if I decided to go that way down the line. Sprout100 ELAC System
Any strong opinions on that system? Every time I look at something I think about how much better it could be, and then I remind myself of what this system is for, lol. I keep falling down the rabbit hole and out of my budget, so let's say $1,000 would be the top I'd spend. Realistically I might be patient and wait for used stuff and black friday to try to keep it well under that.

So I'm working from home most days now, and it has me using my office system again. And with more use comes the upgrade itch!

The system will not be using vinyl. It's really background and mood music while I'm working on things. But I get several calls and have meetings throughout the day, so constantly starting and stopping records isn't really realistic. Right now I'm currently only using BT, and the system is on top of a bookshelf (Sony AVR and Pioneer speakers from late 90s/early 2000s).

For the time being, I think it's going to stay on the bookshelf, but I am interested in possibly moving towards smaller components that could potentially be moved into a desktop setup someday. The PS Audio Sprout100, Dayens Ampino, and other micro integrated solutions seem interesting. I've also kicked around the idea of some JBL 306 monitors, but that seems like more of a project then I'm ready to commit to right now.

The PS Audio Sprout/Elac combo seems the most appealing right now. Fits cleanly on the bookshelf, but wouldn't be hard to move into a desktop options if I decided to go that way down the line. Sprout100 ELAC System
Any strong opinions on that system? Every time I look at something I think about how much better it could be, and then I remind myself of what this system is for, lol. I keep falling down the rabbit hole and out of my budget, so let's say $1,000 would be the top I'd spend. Realistically I might be patient and wait for used stuff and black friday to try to keep it well under that.
I have Q Acoustics 3010i speakers on my desktop and really like their sound and style. They came with a nice pair of speaker cables for $250.

They're paired with a NAD C 316BEE integrated, which fits nicely on my desk b/w my two monitors, but doesn't have BT and isn't really a "micro solution." The 3010i does have a smaller footprint than the Elac, however.

Back