Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I have the SR125e and love them, should meet @duke86fan budget as well.
I was thinking about the grado SR series but in the future I might need to get multiple headphones for different things. Because sometimes I might basically have to have closed back because of like using it in college

I was nervous about sound leak mostly because parents in the other room with the door semi open so they don't have to be open ear

I was thinking about the grado SR series but in the future I might need to get multiple headphones for different things. Because sometimes I might basically have to have closed back because of like using it in college

I was nervous about sound leak mostly because parents in the other room with the door semi open so they don't have to be open ear
The sound leak isn't that much, it's more likely to be noticed by persons in the immediate vicinity. I'm no doctor, but if your parents could hear it in the next room through a partly closed door, then you would likely be listening at too high of a level and damaging your hearing.

The sound leak isn't that much, it's more likely to be noticed by persons in the immediate vicinity. I'm no doctor, but if your parents could hear it in the next room through a partly closed door, then you would likely be listening at too high of a level and damaging your hearing.
so im thinking getting a good quality IEM (not perfect.. 320kbps streaming and V0 MP3s), open back headphones (probably grado SR80-225e's) for turntable and other stuff... maybe a new mixing headphone for if i make music or am at college campus (either keeping my M50s or replacing them). and who knows in like half a year or so i will get some travel headphones (bose is basically the only way to go for that)

As for sound leakage from open backs, they do fade pretty quickly with distance. I wouldn't wear them in the library or on the bus, but someone in the next room shouldn't hear anything, even with the door wide open. When I get home, I'll run an experiment and put my headphones down and see how far I get before I hear nothing.

i'm thinking either grado sr80e or sr225e or the sennheiser 6XX series on drop (but then buy an amplifier, probably a schiit magni or fulla.... i also dunno how open back headphones would sound on stuff like hip hop and pop music where its a lot more synthetic and less focused on soundstage and stuff that most audiophile headphones that are open back focus on)

Last edited:
Most Decent Audio Companies do everything easily equal to or much better then Bose ......... trust me ............ I would take Sony or Sennheiser in a heartbeat over bose.
sony it is then.. mostly just for travel though so i dunno if i'll need them... mostly just good PC headphones and good IEMs

Last edited:
i'm thinking either grado sr80e or sr225e or the sennheiser 6XX series on drop (but then buy an amplifier, probably a schiit magni or fulla.... i also dunno how open back headphones would sound on stuff like hip hop and pop music where its a lot more synthetic and less focused on soundstage and stuff that most audiophile headphones that are open back focus on)
I'm quite pleased with my Fulla. It's a DAC/amp with enough power to damage many headphones. I keep its volume around 15% with my Sennheiser noise cancelers. Volume goes up to around 60% for either of my open backs.

I'm quite pleased with my Fulla. It's a DAC/amp with enough power to damage many headphones. I keep its volume around 15% with my Sennheiser noise cancelers. Volume goes up to around 60% for either of my open backs.
so i can use that if i go with the openback sennheisers (plus i get a DAC and an AMP.. if it can handle the 300 ohms).. then go and see for campus time and IEMs and im good

Last edited:
But no one does noise cancelling quite like bose
Gald to see you're considering the Sony's based on your other posts. For the longest time, I would have agreed with you. The QCseries was a flat out market leader forever. But during all that time I always preferred a good earbud with a nice seal (usually athletic fits) over noise cancelling. I always preferred a good seal with uninterrupted sound vs bringing noise cancelling into the mix.
But then I tried to Sonys and I was surprised in the best way possible. I had such low expectations, and they were immediately shattered. Having said that, I haven't tried the new Bose 700 yet either. Also, admittedly I always had Sony studio closed back headphones growing up so I might have a bias towards their sound signature (even though they seemed to ignore it for a few years).

I still don't own the Sonys because frankly I don't travel much and I still have buds for when I do. But I still might move on the drop.com combo with the 6xx if it comes up and I decide to make an impulse purchase.

Gald to see you're considering the Sony's based on your other posts. For the longest time, I would have agreed with you. The QCseries was a flat out market leader forever. But during all that time I always preferred a good earbud with a nice seal (usually athletic fits) over noise cancelling. I always preferred a good seal with uninterrupted sound vs bringing noise cancelling into the mix.
But then I tried to Sonys and I was surprised in the best way possible. I had such low expectations, and they were immediately shattered. Having said that, I haven't tried the new Bose 700 yet either. Also, admittedly I always had Sony studio closed back headphones growing up so I might have a bias towards their sound signature (even though they seemed to ignore it for a few years).

I still don't own the Sonys because frankly I don't travel much and I still have buds for when I do. But I still might move on the drop.com combo with the 6xx if it comes up and I decide to make an impulse purchase.

I’d immediately rule out any Bose product solely on the basis it’s made by Bose. I’ve never heard anything they made that I thought sounded good, never mind worth paying their premium prices for.

But I still might move on the drop.com combo with the 6xx if it comes up and I decide to make an impulse purchase.
thats what im probably gonna do (unless they sell out before i get a job, then i'll get some grado headphones).. i also have to look at better closed back headphones and maybe iems (though thats the very hard one)

thats what im probably gonna do (unless they sell out before i get a job, then i'll get some grado headphones).. i also have to look at better closed back headphones and maybe iems (though thats the very hard one)
The 1000MX3/6xx combo sold out pretty quickly. But I'd be surprised if they don't bring it back at least once more before Christmas. Q4 starts in 2 weeks... sales are coming. At this point in the year it's the perfect time to wait but be ready for sales.

The 1000MX3/6xx combo sold out pretty quickly. But I'd be surprised if they don't bring it back at least once more before Christmas. Q4 starts in 2 weeks... sales are coming. At this point in the year it's the perfect time to wait but be ready for sales.
i also wonder if i should just go with some closed back headphones.. because i need something to just isolate sound sometimes

i also wonder if i should just go with some closed back headphones.. because i need something to just isolate sound sometimes
I've actually been going back and forth on what I want as a set of headphones while on the go. Most of my listening is done on a train to and from work and I thought I convinced myself to do the sony 1000mx3. I think I changed my mind a bit and am now thinking about the Sony mdr v6. 1) they are cheaper, 2) they don't require charging, and 3) they sound good from what I've read. Yea they don't have anc, can take calls, or look great but I'm OK with that.

Also I've got the senns HD 6xx from Drop and a Schiit Magni 3. I really really like that combo, I wish I got more headphone listens in.

Back