Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Well somebody bought it…was it you??
Homer-bushes GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Ooooh, pretty:
1704335894680.jpeg

I'm not sure they'll be a good fit for my 13x12 apartment living room. I've entertained the Model 3 at their sale price, though.
I picked up a pair a month ago at the sale price. Very pleased. They are in a 12x15 foot space. The veneer is nicely done, they sound fantastic. Very balanced, the included stands work well in my listening area. Got them from Crutchfield, they are, like, quadruple boxed.

I didn't look to see what you would be running them with, but they replaced some Emotiva Airmotivs here. Yamaha AS-801 to drive them. I don't get the impression these need a ton of amp to drive them. I was pondering the L82s, and the Sourcepoint 8s, and these. Kinda hard to pass up the sale they are running. I would imagine the Model Fives would be WAY too much in this space.

Anyway, highly recommended if you are still unsure 🍻

A handful. Looking forward to having more.

My new problem is looking for a horizontal surface in the office where I can put it...
The nice thing about tapes vs. records is it feels like record hunting in the late 00s early 10s not much is reissued in the format and the stuff that is is usually really affordable . You can find super cheap original cassettes and don’t mind taking a flyer on something because the risk is negligible.

Pro tip: make sure you buy a head cleaner sometimes older tapes are grimy and that grime will build up on your new decks heads.

The nice thing about tapes vs. records is it feels like record hunting in the late 00s early 10s not much is reissued in the format and the stuff that is is usually really affordable . You can find super cheap original cassettes and don’t mind taking a flyer on something because the risk is negligible.

Tro tip: make sure you buy a head cleaner sometimes older tapes are grimy and that grime will build up on your new decks heads.
I was just reading up on the ins and outs. Seems like a bottle of isopropyl and some q-tips are in order.

I think that's what I'm looking forward to is digging through bins again and not having to spend a ton of coin.

Last edited:
I was just reading up on the ins and outs. Seems like a bottle of isopropyl and some q-tips are in order.

I think that's what I'm looking forward too is digging through bins again and not having to spend a ton of coin.
Yeah, it’s a different vibe (in a good way) the time frame that tapes were the dominant form of media was only for like 10 years from the mid 80s to the mid 90s. Which is a good time for me since I love early 90s music and lots of stuff hasn’t ever been reissued though obviously more and more is coming out every year but like I don’t mind dropping $4 on a Collective Soul or Candlebox tape that I would never pay $40 for a deluxe reissue. There were also, plenty of reissues of classic rock stuff too and it takes up a fraction of the space.

Yeah, it’s a different vibe (in a good way) the time frame that tapes were the dominant form of media was only for like 10 years from the mid 80s to the mid 90s. Which is a good time for me since I love early 90s music and lots of stuff hasn’t ever been reissued though obviously more and more is coming out every year but like I don’t mind dropping $4 on a Collective Soul or Candlebox tape that I would never pay $40 for a deluxe reissue. There were also, plenty of reissues of classic rock stuff too and it takes up a fraction of the space.
I need some more 90's alt, but I don't feel like I've had good luck with vinyl reissues.

View attachment 192005
Advance Paris Xi-1100 preeeetty
These VU meters look like they were taken from 90s anime.

Pro tip: make sure you buy a head cleaner sometimes older tapes are grimy and that grime will build up on your new decks heads.
Take me back to the days of walking out of a used record store with like five records for $20 that now go for like $20 a pop.

These VU meters look like they were taken from 90s anime.

Take me back to the days of walking out of a used record store with like five records for $20 that now go for like $20 a pop.
Yup. I appreciate how much great music is being pressed on wax at a high quality now but I do miss the simpler times and cassette tapes scratch that itch.

I have a feeling if I was 10+ years younger I would probably be collecting CD on the side instead of tapes but I think life being through the Napster/burned CD era really devalued the CD format for me.

Yup. I appreciate how much great music is being pressed on wax at a high quality now but I do miss the simpler times and cassette tapes scratch that itch.

I have a feeling if I was 10+ years younger I would probably be collecting CD on the side instead of tapes but I think life being through the Napster/burned CD era really devalued the CD format for me.
I was in community college in 2007 and the walk from school to my parking garage walked right by a shop where I bought shit like The Smiths, Robert Johnson, Violent Femmes, etc for $5 or less. I had to purge a bunch of my collection years back and re-buying things I know I spent like a cup of coffee on is depressing.

Whats the RPM/platter speed tracker app you guys use around here? Are they generally pretty good?
I currently have two, Turntable Speed and RPM. The RPM app must have been a trial one because now it just says that I have to upgrade if I want to use it. Both seem to work fairly well, but who can really say? Hudson Hi-Fi makes a platter mat that's a stroboscopic disc, and that can be pretty useful. (Should have mentioned that the mat has an alignment protractor on the other [non-stroboscopic] side.)

Screen Shot 2024-01-05 at 10.12.48 AM.png

Last edited:
Back