Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Well yes I mean honestly I'll take any of them. But the Vertere has my heart.

I love it too, even after meeting its ridiculous big brother yesterday.

What if I was to tell you that ole twat face here sent an email this morning about *coughs* another turntable? Not a new turntable either. A thirty one year old one. One that is so heroically and legendarily unreliable that it I wouldn't honestly never even drunkenly recommend someone buy one if it was to be their only vinyl replay device. A turntable with the mechanical integrity of a soap bubble, with spares that might as well be made of unicorn shit such is their general availability. But... that when it works, even three decades later, is so fucking good that you'll forgive it almost anything? If I reach an agreement with the seller, I will let you know.

I love it too, even after meeting its ridiculous big brother yesterday.

What if I was to tell you that ole twat face here sent an email this morning about *coughs* another turntable? Not a new turntable either. A thirty one year old one. One that is so heroically and legendarily unreliable that it I wouldn't honestly never even drunkenly recommend someone buy one if it was to be their only vinyl replay device. A turntable with the mechanical integrity of a soap bubble, with spares that might as well be made of unicorn shit such is their general availability. But... that when it works, even three decades later, is so fucking good that you'll forgive it almost anything? If I reach an agreement with the seller, I will let you know.
These are the exact type of shenanigans that I can fully get behind. I demand a full report. GODSPEED

This is not the one I am looking at but it's one of these;
View attachment 149840

The lid is the clue...
Ah yes... of course, the Pink Triangle ANNIVERSARY Turntable, Alphason HR100S, Transfiguration Spirit MC.

(i have no idea what any of this means I just did a reverse Google image search)

Last edited:
The Anniversary (and I'm just looking at that, no arm or cart is for sale) is something I've wanted for a while. If (if) I buy it, I'll do one of my uber posts on the what's, why's and huh's? of it. It's hopeless (there are many, many things about the design that are almost hilariously flawed) but wonderful. If I can spin the numbers, I'll have it because I'm a simply enormous bellend.

Just got a promotion at work that came with a 52% pay raise lmfao, thx tech! Obviously I want to celebrate with a component + cartridge upgrade.

Eyeing the Hana SL or the Grado retip that @HiFi Guy is loving. If I go Hana I would need to upgrade my pre-amp which I think is certainly the weak link in the chain right now. I know theres a lot of love for the Sutherland Insight around these parts, what other options are compelling if i were willing to spend that much? Maybe something smaller and prettier hahah

Just got a promotion at work that came with a 52% pay raise lmfao, thx tech! Obviously I want to celebrate with a component + cartridge upgrade.

Eyeing the Hana SL or the Grado retip that @HiFi Guy is loving. If I go Hana I would need to upgrade my pre-amp which I think is certainly the weak link in the chain right now. I know theres a lot of love for the Sutherland Insight around these parts, what other options are compelling if i were willing to spend that much? Maybe something smaller and prettier hahah
Congrats, @Ghost! That's awesome.

Congratulations!

Still no regrets with my upgraded Grados. The upgrade solves your issue and it’ll sound way better too. Longer stylus life and lower record wear. Compared to a Hana, you’ll save money and the improved Grado sounds better too- at least to me. Give it 15-20 hours.

Phono stage? Go Insight. The upgraded Grado will sound a bit better at 45-46 dB of gain as opposed to 40 dB. If that doesn’t matter to you, then I’d seriously consider the Darlington Labs MP-7. Ask for the extra gain option- I think it’s 42 dB.

The only other phono stage that seriously interests me is the SPL Phonos. More money though.

At that price point the Sutherland is going to be hard to beat. I had an insight and 20/20 for a bit when I was trying to figure out what I wanted in my main rig. I didn't start noticing much of a wow factor until I stepped into the $2500 range. Noise floors dropped big time, inky black, sound stage opened up quite a bit.

I know its about double of what you are looking at but I landed on the Manley Chinook MKII. This killed any and all upgrade itch. Also, grats on the promo.

Gratz!!

I'd go with the Insight if your sticking to that budget, it's rock solid, has enough flexibility to handle a good chunk of the cart demands. The Darlington's are also a nice option, you'll save some money from the Insight, but it's a toss up between the two in my opinion. I still think the Insight is "better", but we all have our own opinions.

To @snoops recommendation of the Manley, ya, life changing for sure. I've had both the Insight and I still have my Chinook, I don't see that ever leaving my system. Again, it does come at a cost, but I think either would make you more than happy.

At that price point the Sutherland is going to be hard to beat. I had an insight and 20/20 for a bit when I was trying to figure out what I wanted in my main rig. I didn't start noticing much of a wow factor until I stepped into the $2500 range. Noise floors dropped big time, inky black, sound stage opened up quite a bit.

I know its about double of what you are looking at but I landed on the Manley Chinook MKII. This killed any and all upgrade itch. Also, grats on the promo.

@Ghost A few here own the Chinook and love it. I was fortunate enough to be loaned some Manley gear a decade or so back and still remember it quite fondly.

@Ghost Just a thought- you are the only person I’ve seen that’s had an issue with the Opus. Did you check azimuth by chance? I use a small bubble level meant for hanging pictures.

View attachment 150043
I'd have to agree, please double check everything @Ghost, I've had my Opus on 3 different turntables and it's been fantastic on all 3. It ran on my UD for the longest time, so I'm really surprised it's not working out for you.

20200618_210232.jpg

Congratulations man! That’s fantastic. I haven’t bothered to look up all of the stages that have been mentioned to figure out your price range, but I’ll toss this one into the ring because, hey, your promotion! Tons of on-the-fly settings options, two separate RCA inputs, great sound, and not a bad looking piece of kit.

Congratulations man! That’s fantastic. I haven’t bothered to look up all of the stages that have been mentioned to figure out your price range, but I’ll toss this one into the ring because, hey, your promotion! Tons of on-the-fly settings options, two separate RCA inputs, great sound, and not a bad looking piece of kit.

Go big or go home, amiright :)

Back