Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

So... remember this little throwaway line?
- It’s the second cheapest turntable that Vertere makes. The RG-1 in full fat, 'fire everything' form nudges one hundred grand.

Well, I went to Vertere today. I went along to talk to the founder, have the MG1 tweaked and updated and collect something interesting for review. I also spent some time with this;
1661542449406.png

An RG-1. In latest spec with new Reference arm and iso platform. Yours for... and there's no easy way to say this... £162,200. It lives in a test system with an MG-1 MkII and an SG-1;
1661542702373.png

The non Vertere electronics are a Swiss brand called FM Acoustics who are for when you find Nagra a bit cheap. The speakers are PMCs. Obviously, I am a deeply suggestable human being so it would be stupidity itself actually listen to the RG-1...
1661542840375.png

...but I did anyway. You know the scene in Dogma where Alanis Morrisette melts Damon and Affleck? Where they die but they're actually euphoric as they do so because it's the voice of God? Well, that basically. I cannot reconcile how records I know well sounded on that thing. It is incomprehensible and came with the gnawing feeling that I'll never own it... but the euphoria I've heard it anyway. You can buy more expensive turntables than the RG-1 and I have heard some of them too. They still don't get close.

Just red plated a Gold Lion KT77. Damn! That didn't take long, maybe 40 hours. Started with the tube bias started creeping upwards. At first, I turned the bias down but after a while it became evident it was a defective runaway tube. Just to confirm it wasn't my amp, I swapped it with the other channel tube and it did the same thing. The grand final was when it went red plate. Now waiting to hear from Upscale Audio about getting a replacement. So disappointed as the KT77's were just starting to sound good.IMG_5123.jpeg

...and yet my old reliable cheap tubes keep chugging along without a hitch. Spent $45 on this quad. Shouldn't have bothered buying the Gold Lion KT77's, but I guess I had to hear for myself what everyone was raving about. Forgot that the Gold Lion KT77's are somewhat less than reliable, even if you buy them from one of the better vendors out there. Bummer! IMG_5127.jpeg

So a quick cross post from the digital thread. I got a new piece of gear. It does spin things, just not vinyl…

Two takeaways. One, CDs sound miles better than they get credit for, I’m guessing the issue is with CD players and their DACs. This connected by I2S to my PS Audio sounds beautiful. Two this is some piece of engineering, it’s a tank, a beautiful tank. It’s a CD transport that weighs 15kg!

3429290F-425E-478D-9665-38DD377AE0D5.jpegE3AFB126-A8F4-4C79-BB39-D6FD7C634024.jpeg46804494-DF32-4E94-A76D-CA6FC9F9500A.jpeg

So a quick cross post from the digital thread. I got a new piece of gear. It does spin things, just not vinyl…

Two takeaways. One, CDs sound miles better than they get credit for, I’m guessing the issue is with CD players and their DACs. This connected by I2S to my PS Audio sounds beautiful. Two this is some piece of engineering, it’s a tank, a beautiful tank. It’s a CD transport that weighs 15kg!

View attachment 157581View attachment 157582View attachment 157583
Beautiful! Gratz :)

Looks like it's a bit tight with the top loading mechanism. Probably worth the effort though, eh? (y)

It is a bit. Putting them in is fine but taking them out is a bit tight. I have a bigger divider in the cupboard but it’d be 6cm more which might be a bit unsightly as a gap above it, I may play with doing that at some point in the future but right now I’m just going to enjoy this, it sounds great, and yes, well worth the effort.

View attachment 157581View attachment 157582View attachment 157583

Back