Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Yup! I swapped them out for the AQ Rocket 🚀 11 which is what I had previously, and honestly although the difference was not night and day, it was noticeable to me from the onset.
That's encouraging to hear. Though I haven't tried many different brands, I'm currently using Rocket 🚀 11 and am satisfied.

Good afternoon all.

So, after a while I am pretty dang happy with the recommendations from last time (thank you all again), so I come with hat in hand again for advisement.

I currently have the Fluance RT-82, Schitt Mani, and Edifier R1700 going and due mostly to space issues I don't see that changing a ton. However, it is about time for a cartridge upgrade. I got my Fluance second hand and it currently has a basic AT cart of unknown age, and I have to be around the 1k hour point on my own. From what I've seen a lot of this is a matter of taste, but I could use some thoughts on what carts to consider. I know that usually run Ortofon 2M Red or Blue are the default for Fluance.

Price wise I'm not very fussy but I know the rest of the setup wouldn't handle anything too high end anyway so... Yeah. :)

Good afternoon all.

So, after a while I am pretty dang happy with the recommendations from last time (thank you all again), so I come with hat in hand again for advisement.

I currently have the Fluance RT-82, Schitt Mani, and Edifier R1700 going and due mostly to space issues I don't see that changing a ton. However, it is about time for a cartridge upgrade. I got my Fluance second hand and it currently has a basic AT cart of unknown age, and I have to be around the 1k hour point on my own. From what I've seen a lot of this is a matter of taste, but I could use some thoughts on what carts to consider. I know that usually run Ortofon 2M Red or Blue are the default for Fluance.

Price wise I'm not very fussy but I know the rest of the setup wouldn't handle anything too high end anyway so... Yeah. :)

Probably a Grado Gold3 or an AT VM95ML of the standard options. I’d avoid the 2M red like the plague, the Blue is actually pretty good but I prefer the Grado to it and from reputation the AT sounds better too, particularly as you are getting such an advanced stylus profile for the price.

Good afternoon all.

Can you take a picture of your basic A/T so we know which one it is?

Anybody have any good info on the new MoFi Speakers Andrew Jones is working on?
Given that it was just announced this weekend, any details would be purely speculation at this point.

I did read one person speculating that the speakers would likely be mid tier, not entry level competing with the Debut series.

I’d almost imagine that MoFi will ultimately produce 2-3 tiers of products. A full system totaling under $5K, and a top tier coming in around $30.

I’m also interested to see if/when they bring digital into the mix.

Anybody have any good info on the new MoFi Speakers Andrew Jones is working on?
He’s been with MoFi for a year, so I think product announcements are imminent.

If the rest of their product line is any indication, they won’t be inexpensive per se, but should be an excellent value.

I've been eyeing a new Preamp but still haven't pulled the trigger (mainly because mine was working fine again). It's starting to act up again so I'm on the lookout again. I noticed some website called "Listen Up Warehouse Deals" has open box Musical Fidelity LX2-LPS for $289 ( and $249 on their eBay page). Anyone know anything about this company? Their eBay rating is 99.9% so obviously they're not scammers.

FF061D64-53A2-4A11-AF7E-96B3CEE5DC95.jpeg
Not sure if this is what you were thinking @HiFi Guy! I have been dying for a second setup out in my mostly finished garage that serves as my work (and work out) space. Finally pulled the trigger on a nicely priced used PLX-1000 that came with everything. I spend a lot of time out here, and after my first day of spinning, I’m very psyched on this.

Rolling with the rubber mat for now - the felt slipmat felt like a piece of cardboard, wasn’t into that. And as others have reported, the stock headshell likely will need an upgrade. I had to seat it like 5 times, as I was only getting left channel audio at first - seem to have traced it to that. And visibly the azimuth looks off to me, though audibly I’m not noticing anything as of yet. Going back and forth with a generic weight - undecided thus far which I prefer.

Just kind of threw the chain together and it’s all sorts of fun. Schiit Mani, Goldring E3 into my PreSonus monitor controller and Kali IN-8 studio monitors. Cables are just stuff I found in my pile(s)! The living room setup is the refined environment, out here we’re all gas, no brakes, except of course the exceptionally fast platter stop of the Pioneer!

The table itself is a joy to operate. Having had a Technics SL-1800 as my second ever table that was a hand me down from my old man, there are some tactile aspects that feel a bit cheaper in comparison, but nothing that affects performance or sonics. Very quiet table with an impressively dark background at this price point.

I’m a happy camper out here.

Last edited:
I honestly wonder if a speaker setup will make me use my LPs more, since I'm not we limited to the one area the headphones allow me

But I dunno about price or positioning

I'd like to thank y'all for the advice I've received over time.

Technics SL-1210G landed and set up.

View attachment 139390
Really? You drop that bomb with no comment? What do you think of it? Inquiring minds and all that…..

Good move on the Jelco magnesium headshell to go with the magnesium arm.

I’ve made arrangements to return my GR for a G. Just waiting for MD to have stock.

Really? You drop that bomb with no comment? What do you think of it? Inquiring minds and all that…..

Good move on the Jelco magnesium headshell to go with the magnesium arm.

I’ve made arrangements to return my GR for a G. Just waiting for MD to have stock.
Sorry....I didn't expect to get it till the next day and I was running on two hours of sleep. But, also, there was no way I wasn't setting it up before crashing.

I got mine from MD. I had one on wait with Crutchfield. I got an email notification from MD, though, and immediately called them. They received 8 of the 1210's in. Six were already spoken for. I immediately called and got the second to last one and then canceled my Crutchfield order.

My impressions of sound are limited because, again, I was exhausted. I listened to maybe 15 minutes of the XTC Mummer RE (it was a record that arrived that day) just to confirm all my set-up work and cartridge alignment. It did sound great for the little listening time I had.

First, the finish is beautiful. I originally was going to get the silver. 1) The black (unless we talk the limited GAE from the initial run) didn't come out till fall '21 so it wasn't even on my RADAR and 2) the silver screams "classic Technics" to me. Ultimately, though, the black matches better in my house and really looks so sharp.

That direct drive....I haven't had a DD TT since I was 16-17 (I'm 38). That push of a button and...BOOM...we're in business is great.

The overall construction of the TT is....IMMENSE. I mean, the most difficult thing about set up was how heavy and solid it is. The power and line/ground inputs are all recessed under the table. This gives it such a clean look and I really like it....except for set up. Manipulating the table to make connections was a PITA. But like the kind of PITA that is ultimately inconsequential and really not a PITA but let me complain about it here kind of PITA. During cart set-up and when I was making minute adjustments I remember commenting to myself how substantial the arm is - in general, that is my main initial takeaway...the table is SUBSTANTIAL.

Any way, I'll surely have more to say once I have some more time with it. So far so good.

I have a Funk Firm Achromat arriving today and besides the headshell I've installed a KAB tonearm damper. I'm not sure there are any other tweaks in the foreseeable future. I'm bad about just letting thing be, but I think I'm gonna ride with this one for a while.

Back