Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I just sold my iFi Audio Zen phono preamp and replaced it with the Darlington MM-6 phono preamp. Made a huge difference! The MM-6 is leaps and bounds a better phono preamp than the Zen. The MM-6 has amazing clarity, timing, instrument separation, enormous sound stage, and 3D that you can reach out and touch. And it's made right here in Massachusetts USA. I've bought (and sold) almost a dozen phono preamps. The Darlington MM-6 is absolutely the best I've ever heard. Keeping this one, no question. Highly recommended.F330F8D8-D59B-4CBF-9EB8-535C4ADDBA0F_1_201_a.jpeg

Looking for advice on a replacement cartridge. I want a new turntable in the future but I’m not ready to sell mine yet. I don’t currently have space for two so I’d like to get the most out of my current one. It’s an original Rega Planar 2 with the S shaped tonearm. Don’t remember the name of the tonearm if that matters. Whichever one they used before the straight arm. Currently have a Rega Bias 2 which is what I bought the turntable with. I’d like something that would be a bit of an upgrade. I would want a new head shell too so I could swap the old one in if I felt the need. I should mention that I have no idea how to adjust the tonearm height or if you even can at all. It’s possible for me to buy through a local shop and have it installed if necessary. That might limit my options though. Any suggestions? All my gear is vintage, except the cartridge and a Mofi studiophono preamp, so I’m not expecting a mind blowing audiophile experience. New equipment is on the table in the future but it currently all looks very nice together and I like the aesthetic of my current system.

Looking for advice on a replacement cartridge. I want a new turntable in the future but I’m not ready to sell mine yet. I don’t currently have space for two so I’d like to get the most out of my current one. It’s an original Rega Planar 2 with the S shaped tonearm. Don’t remember the name of the tonearm if that matters. Whichever one they used before the straight arm. Currently have a Rega Bias 2 which is what I bought the turntable with. I’d like something that would be a bit of an upgrade. I would want a new head shell too so I could swap the old one in if I felt the need. I should mention that I have no idea how to adjust the tonearm height or if you even can at all. It’s possible for me to buy through a local shop and have it installed if necessary. That might limit my options though. Any suggestions? All my gear is vintage, except the cartridge and a Mofi studiophono preamp, so I’m not expecting a mind blowing audiophile experience. New equipment is on the table in the future but it currently all looks very nice together and I like the aesthetic of my current system.
What kind of budget?

The arm is an Astre. Built in Japan. Decent quality. Not a bad arm.

Speaking of height, your Bias is 14 mm tall and is designed for Rega built arms. Most cartridges are 17-18 mm tall. This is a more suitable height for your arm.

What kind of budget?

The arm is an Astre. Built in Japan. Decent quality. Not a bad arm.

Speaking of height, your Bias is 14 mm tall and is designed for Rega built arms. Most cartridges are 17-18 mm tall. This is a more suitable height for your arm.

Under $500 would be cool but curious about decent options above or below that.

What are you using now and how long is the run?

Just cheap Walmart cable but need to upgrade/ get wire with banana plugs. 6ft should be more than enough
No users reviews and even if there were, beware, it's Amz

I would go with something more proven. Either make your own on the cheap from monoprice.com or Blue Jeans White or Canare which are well regarded for the price.

Anything you'd recommend on Amazon? I have a gift card I'm trying to use

Just cheap Walmart cable but need to upgrade/ get wire with banana plugs. 6ft should be more than enough

Anything you'd recommend on Amazon? I have a gift card I'm trying to use
I'm not telling you to not get new speaker wire. But, banana plugs aren't necessary, you can plug bare wire into speakers and amps. And for a short 6' run, the cable you have should work just fine. If it were me, I would start with the cable you have, listen and see what you think/create a baseline. Then later, once you're familiar with the sound of the new setup, order some new cable and see if it improves the sound.

No users reviews and even if there were, beware, it's Amz

I would go with something more proven. Either make your own on the cheap from monoprice.com or Blue Jeans White or Canare which are well regarded for the price.
I wasn't a fan of them with my Lintons but that could also just be my ears 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I wasn't a fan of them with my Lintons but that could also just my ears 🤷‍♂️

The BJC? Did you swap them out for something else then?

Honestly I’ve not found that different speaker cables have made any discernible difference to my sound, I like the BJC 10 because they’re well made and the locking banana plugs are solid and give a nice fit to the binding post.

The BJC? Did you swap them out for something else then?

Honestly I’ve not found that different speaker cables have made any discernible difference to my sound, I like the BJC 10 because they’re well made and the locking banana plugs are solid and give a nice fit to the binding post.
Yup! I swapped them out for the AQ Rocket 🚀 11 which is what I had previously, and honestly although the difference was not night and day, it was noticeable to me from the onset.

Yup! I swapped them out for the AQ Rocket 🚀 11 which is what I had previously, and honestly although the difference was not night and day, it was noticeable to me from the onset.

Fair enough. I noticed a difference to a point with better quality interconnects but little to nothing with speaker wires throughout my journey, I just like the build quality and connections of the better ones.

How are you getting on with the MX-VYNL as it breaks in?

Fair enough. I noticed a difference to a point with better quality interconnects but little to nothing with speaker wires throughout my journey, I just like the build quality and connections of the better ones.

How are you getting on with the MX-VYNL as it breaks in?
I like it thus far but I haven't spun as many records as I would have liked. Therefore, as far as the break-in goes, I have ways to go...

Under $500 would be cool but curious about decent options above or below that.

Also if under $500 is not realistic for any kind of real upgrade let me know. I tried googling some cartridges and it appears to be a bigger rabbit hole than the ones I’ve been down looking for new turntable options.

Back