Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

So I'm thinking Evo-200, Wharfdale 85th anniversary. Need to figure out the phono stage. Any recommendations? Assuming grand total will end up being around $5,500-$6,250?
I’m not sure if you saw a recent post of mine- but I mentioned that my thoughts on some gear is changing due to new pricing.

PrimaLuna has had a sizable price hike. The 100 costs what the 200 used to and the 200 is now what the 300 used to cost. It’s nice gear, but I’m not sure it’s worth the coin anymore.

Are you dead set on PrimaLuna or tubes?

I’m not sure if you saw a recent post of mine- but I mentioned that my thoughts on some gear is changing due to new pricing.

PrimaLuna has had a sizable price hike. The 100 costs what the 200 used to and the 200 is now what the 300 used to cost. It’s nice gear, but I’m not sure it’s worth the coin anymore.

Are you dead set on PrimaLuna or tubes?

I did not see that post. I wouldn't say dead set but do love the combo of how tubes look as well as the ability to have essentially micro upgrades with using different tubes to see how they sound. But no, not dead set

I did not see that post. I wouldn't say dead set but do love the combo of how tubes look as well as the ability to have essentially micro upgrades with using different tubes to see how they sound. But no, not dead set
I see those points and they are valid.

Besides price hikes on gear, expect price hikes on tubes due to the Act of Russian Aggression.

New Sensor is an American company that supplies nearly all of the new tubes from Russia. A few days ago they announced that no new tubes could be exported due to sanctions. They’ve just announced that they will be shipping again in April, but that there would be price hikes on all others whether they have already been received or not.

This leaves Chinese tubes and JJ tubes from Europe.

The PL gear is nice, for sure, but go into it with your eyes open. You’ll want to have a spare pair of output tubes on hand, just in case.

I see those points and they are valid.

Besides price hikes on gear, expect price hikes on tubes due to the Act of Russian Aggression.

New Sensor is an American company that supplies nearly all of the new tubes from Russia. A few days ago they announced that no new tubes could be exported due to sanctions. They’ve just announced that they will be shipping again in April, but that there would be price hikes on all others whether they have already been received or not.

This leaves Chinese tubes and JJ tubes from Europe.

The PL gear is nice, for sure, but go into it with your eyes open. You’ll want to have a spare pair of output tubes on hand, just in case.

That's great to know thanks. Maybe I should look elsewhere or just upgrade my speakers and phonostage only with a low end/used receiver with the intent of upgrading that in a few years time

Anyone care to share opinions on what would be the weakest link in my system now? Getting the feeling based off how glowing a review the NAD gets that it may be the LX-LPS.

In which case what would be some significant upgrades for a year or two from now, say up to $1500 budget? Or should that money go towards something like an Audiolab 6000A or a stylus upgrade?

Anyone care to share opinions on what would be the weakest link in my system now? Getting the feeling based off how glowing a review the NAD gets that it may be the LX-LPS.

In which case what would be some significant upgrades for a year or two from now, say up to $1500 budget? Or should that money go towards something like an Audiolab 6000A or a stylus upgrade?

Definitely the LX-LPS. Go Sutherland Insight and don’t look back. There was a killer deal on an open box unit someone posted earlier today.

Edit: Oops, future purchase, my bad.

Definitely the LX-LPS. Go Sutherland Insight and don’t look back. There was a killer deal on an open box unit someone posted earlier today.

Edit: Oops, future purchase, my bad.
Helpful as always! I ask in advance b/c I use a lovely app that strategically and automatically pulls aside money towards your savings/spending goals to match a date you set. So wanted to go ahead and see what those could be!

Back