Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Damn. You thought of everything haha.
You know what's really fun, having the outlets put in while remodeling, then having the drywall guys show up and drywall right over them, lol

............true story, happened to a friend. He walked down to check out the finished drywall and was like "...........uh, where did my outlets go?"

Damn. You thought of everything haha.
Well, not really. There's no conduit run for the HDMI. So when it goes 8K I have to climb into the 6ft of blown in insulation in my ceiling and try to feed an 8K cable though and fish it down a 1 inch gap behind the drywall. It's going to be terrible.

I know this because initially the cable was just HDMI, not 4k. So I had to do this once already just to get the 4K cable in there.

-pours one out for first attempt 4K fibre cable that didn't make it... $250 down the drain-

Well, not really. Theres no conduit run for the HDMI. So when it goes 8K I have to climb into the 6ft of blown in insulation in my ceiling and try to feed an 8K cable though and fish it down a 1 inch gap behind the drywall. It's going to be terrible.
Is 8K necessary though? “Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.” - Gandhi or Bono probably

Is 8K necessary though? “Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.” - Gandhi or Bono probably
It's not necessary... yet. But it all depends on the size of the screen. I'm willing to bet while it might not make much of a difference on a 50 inch screen, at 106" and sitting about 9 feet away, I bet it's pretty noticeable. But that's not going to happen anytime soon so I'm not super concerned. Just wish I'd had them install conduit...

It's not necessary... yet. But it all depends on the size of the screen. I'm willing to bet while it might not make much of a difference on a 50 inch screen, at 106" and sitting about 9 feet away, I bet it's pretty noticeable. But that's not going to happen anytime soon so I'm not super concerned. Just wish I'd had them install conduit...
I watched a 480p movie on my 65” screen sitting 9 feet away last night and lemme tell ya…it was fine

Good lord. Are you in a spaceship?
It feels like it. I love this thing. And honestly it's not much more expensive than your average tv. And when it's off instead of a giant black box on the wall I have a blank white canvas which just kinda blends into the room. Going on 6 years with no tv and I don't think I'll ever go back.

I watched a 480p movie on my 65” screen sitting 9 feet away last night and lemme tell ya…it was fine
Yeah but that's what I'm saying, at 106 the pixels are so much larger that it's a lot easier to notice. I have a 46" old Viera Plasma downstairs and it's only 720p and it looks incredible still.

It feels like it. I love this thing. And honestly it's not much more expensive than your average tv. And when it's off instead of a giant black box on the wall I have a blank white canvas which just kinda blends into the room. Going on 6 years with no tv and I don't think I'll ever go back.
How is it with daytime viewing?

How is it with daytime viewing?
Well yeah, there's the rub. With a wall of windows off to the right side this particular projector will get pretty washed out unless you close the curtains. But that's mainly because I went with a home cinema projector that worries more about color accuracy in dark theatre viewing, as opposed to the brighter models that can deal with more ambient light but do so at the cost of black levels and color accuracy. I don't watch much during the day so it works for me. But there are much brighter models that can solve that issue, they just won't have QUITE the pitch black contrast and bang on color.

That is super cool. Hoping to go projector in the future, it just looks so good!
Honestly, I almost never go to the movies anymore unless it's big big releases. I've got 5.1 upstairs with the in ceiling rear 8" speakers and downstairs I just installed 7.1 Atmos and still waiting on the very delayed 125" ceiling mount screen down there...

20210228_122946.jpg20210228_123215.jpg)l20210228_123730.jpg20210228_123738.jpg
20210228_125559.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly, I almost never go to the movies anymore unless it's big big releases. I've got 5.1 upstairs with the in ceiling rear 8" speakers and downstairs I just installed 7.1 Atmos and still waiting on the very delayed 125" ceiling mount screen down there...

View attachment 89939View attachment 89940)lView attachment 89945View attachment 89946
View attachment 89947
That's dope. I'd love to get something like that in my basement but I have to wait until my kids are past the "destroy everything especially dad's cartridge and audiophile pressings" phase. One day...

Back