Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Thanks, I was looking at the Studiophono as well. I do like the mono toggle switch feature. I have a bunch of mono jazz albums that that would be fun to experiment with. From immediate research, one of the design features I didn't like about the MoFi preamp is there is no on/off switch. I honestly prefer to not have it on constantly. One of my Roku streaming boxes does that, and it heats up pretty good over time. I suppose I could run the MoFi preamp out of one of the power outlets on the back of my receiver, so they are tied together, but would need to look if the area could accommodate a wall wart.
It’s actually made to be on all the time. Many solid state preamps will actually benefit sonically from being on all the time.

Thanks, I was looking at the Studiophono as well. I do like the mono toggle switch feature. I have a bunch of mono jazz albums that that would be fun to experiment with. From immediate research, one of the design features I didn't like about the MoFi preamp is there is no on/off switch. I honestly prefer to not have it on constantly. One of my Roku streaming boxes does that, and it heats up pretty good over time. I suppose I could run the MoFi preamp out of one of the power outlets on the back of my receiver, so they are tied together, but would need to look if the area could accommodate a wall wart.
The StudioPhono runs cool. Also I see the lack of a power switch as a plus. Most solid state gear fails upon power up, not when it’s left on.

It’s a great performer for the price, but if your budget allows you to get closer to the $300 range, there are many great options that will outperform it.

The Mani has garnered a lot of online hype, and I think Schiit makes really solid products, but when I see people saying things like, “it’s the best preamp below a thousand bucks!” It’s not.
I think you hit the nail on the head. The Mani performs well for the price, but that doesn't mean it's the best performer. It's good value. For me and my system right now it's good, but if I started upgrading, it's not a component I would go out of my way to keep.

Even my Manley goes into standby, it doesn't actually power off when I hit the "power" button ;)

I have the Studiophono in my system and can confirm there are no issues with it running hot at all.

You're a Musical Fidelity fan and Uncle Kev is giving them praise, just thought you would appreciate it :)

Oh right yeah! Sorry I was confused for a second there 😂

I love my phono stage but also I do wonder what is next for them though. They shut down all their manufacturing and sales in the U.K. and moved it all to Austria. Supposedly the U.K. team is still in charge of design with Anthony Michaelson in retirement as a consultant.

I respect hardware big Kev’s opinion hugely big man is he a bit super positive and upbeat for a European 😂

Oh right yeah! Sorry I was confused for a second there 😂

I love my phono stage but also I do wonder what is next for them though. They shut down all their manufacturing and sales in the U.K. and moved it all to Austria. Supposedly the U.K. team is still in charge of design with Anthony Michaelson in retirement as a consultant.
That seems like kind of an odd move, no?

And sadly it makes little sense for them to stay in the UK after Brexit as Joe alluded to. A lot of companies will likely be relocating their HQs.

Yeah! Because of Britain's history and levels of competence in engineering terms I'd be shocked in many removed their product design and development from Britain. I'd say once BoJo gets his low tax haven for the posh lads up and running that a fair few will have little issue HQing there too. Manufacturing though, I'd move that out of there as quickly as possible. Brexshit, sold to the working classes as their salvation when it is in fact their doom. Tory bastards.

Not really pro-ject bough them out back in 2018, that buy out is probably Michaelson’s pension, and they’re Austrian. Plus moving a manufacturing base out of the U.K. and into the EU right now is probably very sensible from a supply point of view.

may i use this moment to say that Sebastian Kurz seems to be a bigger KANT than Boris ? just an observation totally unrelated to your points that are very valid Joe

Back