Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

It's my "man cave" TV. So everything from sports to movies to gaming (no next gen....yet).
The downsides of OLED are exacerbated by fixed elements like gaming HUDs, so if you play a lot of the same game you might have burn-in issues. But if you've got a decent level of variety in how you use the TV it's not much of an issue. Picture quality's hard to beat.

I am not a TV expert by any means but I have been thinking of upgrading mine myself because STL/USA is about to get ATSC 3.0 (4K broadcast). It is my understanding (outside brightness levels which is preference of Samsung owners) the only big difference between the TCL of the world and the higher end models is the upscaling of 1080P content. So the part that can be argued based on preference is the quality of the 4K content, but in theory the 1080P content should look better. Not to mention with size of the TV and watching distance the quality perception of 4K vs 1080P. 4K is clearly superior but that said 1080P is more than sufficient in my opinion for 1080P content. If all that makes sense.

Bang for the buck off preference and my opinion (increasing cost going down):
TCL 6 Series (Man Cave or Bedroom no brainer, especially with built in Roku)
Samsung QLED 7 Series (I might get one for my main TV room but might just go TCL)
LG CX10 OLED (I have a 8 year old so this is out in fear of burn in)

The Samsung QLED series is way past 7 but that is where I would dip my toe in based on price verse performance. If I was filthy rich I personally would still buy the 7 over the 8 based of some things I prefer from the 7.

Edit: the sub $200 Vizio 5.1 soundbar packages with the rear speakers off the subwoofer for a bedroom are amazing. This is a terrible place for me to hype up such a low audio product but my sister bought me that set as a gift and it sounds damn good for laying in bed watching a movie and getting that placement of sounds on a budget with the kick of sub. Plus if I had SVS sub in my bedroom my son would wake up.LOL The sub is bluetooth from the soundbar and then the 2 rear channels are wired from the sub.

Last edited:
Back