Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

That's good to know! There's no turning back now, and I appreciate your input. I think I made a good decision to buy the R100s
I think you made a good decision too! Hope you enjoy them. The KEFs were the first "quality" speakers I bought and haven't had any issues for the past 6+ years while using them every day.

I think you made a good decision too! Hope you enjoy them. The KEFs were the first "quality" speakers I bought and haven't had any issues for the past 6+ years while using them every day.

Damn. I can't wait to to hear the difference already.

Also, thank you fam for offering suggestions, deals, recommendations, etc. I really appreciate everyone's input! Considering how much of a noob I am when it comes to this stuff, I'm glad that I have y'all to help me make a better/well-informed decision.

Definitely made some major upgrades -- I'll keep you all posted once I have everything put together! I wasn't really expecting to make these changes right away, yet here we are (I'm glad that I was able to do them all at once though). Moving away from powered speakers to a phono pre-amp/amp/passive speakers plus a new cartridge (Grado Gold3) will make a huge difference for sure!

Here's to saving up for a new turntable -- I hope I can last at least like 2 years before making that purchase :ROFLMAO: 😭

Damn. I can't wait to to hear the difference already.

Also, thank you fam for offering suggestions, deals, recommendations, etc. I really appreciate everyone's input! Considering how much of a noob I am when it comes to this stuff, I'm glad that I have y'all to help me make a better/well-informed decision.

Definitely made some major upgrades -- I'll keep you all posted once I have everything put together! I wasn't really expecting to make these changes right away. Moving away from powered speakers to a phono pre-amp/amp/passive speakers plus a new cartridge (Grado Gold3) will make a huge difference for sure!

Here's to saving up for a new turntable -- I hope I can last at least like 2 years before making that purchase :ROFLMAO: 😭
So, did I miss it? Which amp did you buy?

Clearly speakers for me. What's your budget? You'll need an amp too.
edit: for a significant improvement on the deck you enter Ultradeck territory, less than that will likely be a side move.
Yeah I agree, with a healthy budget a move to an amplifier and passive speakers is where I think you’ll get the biggest jump.

You’ll want an amp with a fixed level out to keep using the magni for your phones, a tape out is the usual output for this.
Probably like a $1000 soft budget! Would ideally like to get to a place where I wouldn't have to upgrade my speakers for at least a couple years after I would be able to upgrade my deck. Probably not endgame speakers, but close to it!

Probably like a $1000 soft budget! Would ideally like to get to a place where I wouldn't have to upgrade my speakers for at least a couple years after I would be able to upgrade my deck. Probably not endgame speakers, but close to it!

For the amplifier a NAD like this is definitely a good call.

As for the speakers I would have said the Wharfedale Denton but with the 80th seemingly gone the 85th plus the NAD will blow your budget.

🤔🤔🤔

Question. How far do you guys have the back of your speakers sitting from your wall? What's a good distance?
This video is, in my opinion, overly complicating things to an extent. But the core concept is a good starting point.

I did the basic math for the starting points, which wasn't bad for sidewall distance.
I didn't bring the speakers nearly as far out as he starts, because it's mostly just proving a point. I also didn't use any tape. Just did estimates. But I like starting with as far out of your room will be comfortable/functional, and then step it back towards the front wall until it sounds right, and then wrong.

From there you can starting doing more simple adjustments like a little forward/back, left/right and toe in/out. My best tip I can offer is you don't need to nail it on one session. Tweak it over a couple days, ideally with a range of music. Then mark it or write it down and enjoy.

This video is, in my opinion, overly complicating things to an extent. But the core concept is a good starting point.

I did the basic math for the starting points, which wasn't bad for sidewall distance.
I didn't bring the speakers nearly as far out as he starts, because it's mostly just proving a point. I also didn't use any tape. Just did estimates. But I like starting with as far out of your room will be comfortable/functional, and then step it back towards the front wall until it sounds right, and then wrong.

From there you can starting doing more simple adjustments like a little forward/back, left/right and toe in/out. My best tip I can offer is you don't need to nail it on one session. Tweak it over a couple days, ideally with a range of music. Then mark it or write it down and enjoy.

Argh every time you post this the idea that this guy thinks there are 10 inches in a foot makes me want to beat him.

I’m also hugely sceptical of the necessity of going to this extent in a home environment, just place them where they fit in your room a bit off the wall and play with fine tuning that distance from the wall and the toe in until they sound right!

Argh every time you post this the idea that this guy thinks there are 10 inches in a foot makes me want to beat him.

I’m also hugely sceptical of the necessity of going to this extent in a home environment, just place them where they fit in your room a bit off the wall and play with fine tuning that distance from the wall and the toe in until they sound right!
Absolutely.

Just make sure the speakers are level and stable as a start!

Great advice for amp and speakers on the previous page for this kind of budget.

Back