Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Though this is not equipment upgrade related, I thought this might be the best place to post this. Found myself downright giddy watching this - lotta heat in these 10 mins! Makes a lot of sense as to why these Tone Poets sound so phenomenal.

And sure enough, what turntable are they using to check test presses at RTI? PLX-1000.

Argh every time you post this the idea that this guy thinks there are 10 inches in a foot makes me want to beat him.

I’m also hugely sceptical of the necessity of going to this extent in a home environment, just place them where they fit in your room a bit off the wall and play with fine tuning that distance from the wall and the toe in until they sound right!
Yeah, like I said, it's overkill to do it all. But for someone wanting some direction, the initial measurements and general concepts of moving the speakers in a systematic way are good principles to follow.

Anyone have recommendations for a lubricant for the bearings on my Project Debut III? I have a speed box and replaced the belt but I’m still experiencing slight speed variations. I’ve never used lubricant before so I’m assuming that is the issue.

Amazon Canada has Project’s own oil (Lube It) but it is $35 CDN for a little bottle that is 1/4 full. Just wondering if there is another oil that works well at a better price.

Thanks!

Anyone have recommendations for a lubricant for the bearings on my Project Debut III? I have a speed box and replaced the belt but I’m still experiencing slight speed variations. I’ve never used lubricant before so I’m assuming that is the issue.

Amazon Canada has Project’s own oil (Lube It) but it is $35 CDN for a little bottle that is 1/4 full. Just wondering if there is another oil that works well at a better price.

Thanks!
There’s no telling. Each manufacturer uses something different. Technics uses something thin, like 3 in 1 oil. Rega uses something more akin to motor oil. MoFi uses grease. I’d recommend getting the factory oil, as much as the price sucks.

There’s no telling. Each manufacturer uses something different. Technics uses something thin, like 3 in 1 oil. Rega uses something more akin to motor oil. MoFi uses grease. I’d recommend getting the factory oil, as much as the price sucks.
How often should this be done? Does it vary by manufacturer too?

So this is kind of a boring recommendation request, but I am in the market for some speaker stands. I've all but decided on picking up the KEF LS50 Meta but I just can't see spending another $450 on the stands they make for them so I am looking for alternatives. I've done plenty of research and the two below seem like decent enough options, but curious if anyone else has others I may have missed or any experience with these. I'd love to keep it to about $200 or below is possible.

Kanto SP26 - Kanto SP26 (Black) 26" speaker stands at Crutchfield
Monoprice Monolith - Monolith by Monoprice 28in Speaker Stand (Each) - Monoprice.com

So this is kind of a boring recommendation request, but I am in the market for some speaker stands. I've all but decided on picking up the KEF LS50 Meta but I just can't see spending another $450 on the stands they make for them so I am looking for alternatives. I've done plenty of research and the two below seem like decent enough options, but curious if anyone else has others I may have missed or any experience with these. I'd love to keep it to about $200 or below is possible.

Monoprice Monolith - Monolith by Monoprice 28in Speaker Stand (Each) - Monoprice.com
Can't help with the stands, unfortunately, but LS50 Meta's are top of my list, so I'll be interested to see what you think of them. Only thing I know about stands is that Atacama has a good reputation.

Can't help with the stands, unfortunately, but LS50 Meta's are top of my list, so I'll be interested to see what you think of them. Only thing I know about stands is that Atacama has a good reputation.
Thanks! I'll let you know what I think once I get a hold of them. I did see some Atacama in my research but they seemed tough to get in the US. I'll keep an eye out though.

Thanks! I'll let you know what I think once I get a hold of them. I did see some Atacama in my research but they seemed tough to get in the US. I'll keep an eye out though.
I think I might actually use them as bookshelves when I get them. I have seen they do tiny stands for the LSX's, so I'd be interested to see if they do them for the meta's.

When I was on the market for stands as well, I saw the Pangea speaker stand. It fits your budget. I don't have an opinion on them unfortunately.
They have an heavy duty model too.

When I was on the market for stands as well, I saw the Pangea speaker stand. It fits your budget. I don't have an opinion on them unfortunately.
They have an heavy duty model too.
I should have mentioned these to! They are in the running but I just don't love the look of the 3 columns for some reason. Definitely a worthy option though.

Was thinking about upgrading my downstairs turntable with the Pioneer PXL-1000. Anyone have a good recommendation for a decent cart for this table in the $150 to $200 range. I'm not a DJ, so I won't be scratching. Just want a dependable table for my basement setup

Was thinking about upgrading my downstairs turntable with the Pioneer PXL-1000. Anyone have a good recommendation for a decent cart for this table in the $150 to $200 range. I'm not a DJ, so I won't be scratching. Just want a dependable table for my basement setup

This would be where I would be going.

This would be where I would be going.

Thanks. I used to run a Grasp Black on my first Technics, haven't read up on the Red. I'll look for some reviews.

Any experience with the Nagaoka MP-110?

Thanks. I used to run a Grasp Black on my first Technics, haven't read up on the Red. I'll look for some reviews.

Any experience with the Nagaoka MP-110?

It’s the same prestige line as the black but higher up. The new 3 models have been getting great reviews right from the black upto the gold on here.

I don’t I’m afraid! I was looking at the 300/500 a couple of years back but nagaoka don’t really represent great value for money in Europe, they’re very expensive.

Back